TL type-s Brembo brakes swap on 08 FG2 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Suspension and Brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 10:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

jason86 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
TL type-s Brembo brakes swap on 08 FG2 (Another TL Brembo swap on 07 CSX-S on page 2)

Just installed a 4 pot Brembo calipers and rotor on my 08 FG2, it was pretty much work to do on it for the fitment, because it's a pair of used TL type-s Brembo brakes.This kit was custom made from Acura TL Type-S Brembo calipers and Rotors', You can see from pad wear and rotor factory paint, THESE CALIPERS WERE BLACK AND SAID "ACURA". Had them professionally refinished and BREMBO stencil used for lettering. White paint has some minor cracking, see pics.....

beside the calipers and the rotors, i got an aluminum spacers from the seller, seen included and these were used behind rotor to center caliper(roughly 2.5mm thick). But my friend is using the s2000 rotors with the same Brembo calipers of mine (the ITR Brembo calipers)with no spacers behind the rotor on his FA5, the fitment also is ok, but the diameter is smaller than the TL one i believe.

before when i get the brake kit install, i did a few research. Because i heard some people said the stock brake line won't fit, wrong rotor and stock rim offset, so i also bought a 25mm H&R wheel spacers,Russell SS brake line, and 1L Motul 5.1 brake fluid, then it's good enough to start the installation.
After take off the stock rotor and caliper, there was a grey disc behind the rotor, but u need to cut both side a little bit for fitting the Brembo calipers onto the brackets behind. except for this, everything was going so smooth, and the SS brake line also fit on the caliper with no problem too. Eventually, the last procedure was put the 25mm spacers in front of the rotor and then the wheel....but at that time....the problem came out!i found the stock rim couldn't fit on it, even though i did put a 25mm spacers in front of the rotor, but the spokes on the rim still can scratch on the caliper's surface. So the only thing i can do is put one more 3mm spacer in front of the 25mm spacers in order to make it fit with the stock 08 rim, but my friend's 09 FA5 only using a 25mm spacers in front of his rotor then his stock 09 rims is good enough to avoid the spokes scratching on his Brembo caliper. Maybe the offset of the 08, 09 rims are different? idk then...
Beside, i have my Eibach sportline springs on my FG2 also, even tho the rim can fit with the caliper, but because of those 25mm+3mm spacers made my wheels go wider a lot, so my tires were keep rubbing the side fender so hard!! so i also need to get 4 more Ingall camber bolts at the front (around adjust it to -3 camber) for the tires and fenders clearance. Then after a test drive, everything is ok!!...no rubbing the fenders anymore even though with high speed at the corner, but still can heard the tires scratched on the inside fender a little bit if u fall into some very big potholes. But no problem when driving across the speed bump or some little potholes. But the best way i think is if you have more budget, get a set of coilovers then you will have more camber room for adjust at the front or a set of around+38 offset rims, i tried on my friend's+45 offset rims with 225/45/17 tires, the distance about 1 inch between the spokes and the [email protected]@, now i only got around 1mm distance between my stock 08 rim and the caliper
and here are the pics of my car after the installation, sorry for the bad quality with my cell phone.

Last edited by jason86; 10-28-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2009, 11:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

ceewok just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Send a message via AIM to ceewok
wow the paint looks really good on the caliphers. matches your car too. how much did u pick them up for?

ceewok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2009, 11:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

$540 from ebay
jason86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2009, 11:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Scott
vipertag313 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
nice job. u have wheel spacers?
vipertag313 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 12:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

jackolee lives their life a quarter mile at a timejackolee lives their life a quarter mile at a timejackolee lives their life a quarter mile at a timejackolee lives their life a quarter mile at a timejackolee lives their life a quarter mile at a timejackolee lives their life a quarter mile at a time
Garage
Send a message via AIM to jackolee Send a message via MSN to jackolee Send a message via Yahoo to jackolee
did you make 2 of these threads???
jackolee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 03:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Jo-Von-E

Jhovany M.
Geovone just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Send a message via MSN to Geovone Send a message via Yahoo to Geovone Send a message via Skype™ to Geovone
Very nice
Geovone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 09:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Asif22 just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicAsif22 just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicAsif22 just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicAsif22 just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicAsif22 just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicAsif22 just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicAsif22 just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicAsif22 just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivic
How much negative camber is too much...like to the point where its a negative for handling?
Asif22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 09:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Benji
Crazi3ge3 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
damn you got a deal for them brembo
Crazi3ge3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2009, 12:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

tgeo just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
I have a few question regarding your setup:
1. Did you have a customized bracket made to mount the caliper or did you use the one from the TL?
2. Do you have a picture of the bracket?
3. Did you have to cut the dust shield?
4. I'm new to hondas yet but did you have to adjust any proportioning valve?
5. Any issues with the ABS?

ty
Cheers

Last edited by tgeo; 08-15-2009 at 12:11 AM.
tgeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2009, 01:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
VIP Member

trickyazn is the 8thcivic ninja warriortrickyazn is the 8thcivic ninja warriortrickyazn is the 8thcivic ninja warriortrickyazn is the 8thcivic ninja warriortrickyazn is the 8thcivic ninja warriortrickyazn is the 8thcivic ninja warriortrickyazn is the 8thcivic ninja warriortrickyazn is the 8thcivic ninja warriortrickyazn is the 8thcivic ninja warriortrickyazn is the 8thcivic ninja warriortrickyazn is the 8thcivic ninja warrior
Send a message via AIM to trickyazn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Civic SI
2013 GTR
2008 ISF (sold)
trickyazn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2009, 01:34 AM   #11 (permalink)

ToE kNeE
07mugencivic is teh bbq king07mugencivic is teh bbq king07mugencivic is teh bbq king07mugencivic is teh bbq king07mugencivic is teh bbq king07mugencivic is teh bbq king07mugencivic is teh bbq king07mugencivic is teh bbq king07mugencivic is teh bbq king07mugencivic is teh bbq king07mugencivic is teh bbq king
Send a message via MSN to 07mugencivic
nice..

Old 08-15-2009, 10:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeo View Post
1. Did you have a customized bracket made to mount the caliper or did you use the one from the TL?

ty
Cheers
RE 1. i am still using the SI bracket when putting the caliper on it, no need to use the TL one, because it's just the same.
RE 2. Sorry i forgot to take pic when i was installing.
RE 3. yes, i did cut the dust shield in order to fit the caliper, but u can just remove the dust shield if u don't wanna do any extra work.
RE 4. i just put 4 camber bolts at the front and adjust it to -3, actually it is the max camber rate i can do on it with stock shocks and lowering springs, if you have the camber plate with your coilovers, u can have more negative camber room to adjust.
RE 5. the ABS still work on fine. i tested it at once after the installation
Old 08-15-2009, 10:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Overdosedvtec sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicOverdosedvtec sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicOverdosedvtec sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicOverdosedvtec sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicOverdosedvtec sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicOverdosedvtec sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicOverdosedvtec sometimes day dreams about 8thcivic
Send a message via AIM to Overdosedvtec
why make them seem like something they're not?
Overdosedvtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2009, 11:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

Nishan Perera
purplemonkeydishwasher just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeo View Post

ty
Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason86 View Post
RE 4. i just put 4 camber bolts at the front and adjust it to -3, actually it is the max camber rate i can do on it with stock shocks and lowering springs, if you have the camber plate with your coilovers, u can have more negative camber room to adjust.
The proportioning valve is for the front/rear brake bias of the vehicle. With the Brembos on their, how is the bias and how did you account for the added bite up front compared to the rear? I think thats what he meant...and I am interested in the answer as well.
purplemonkeydishwasher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2009, 11:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

Nishan Perera
purplemonkeydishwasher just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdosedvtec View Post
why make them seem like something they're not?
They are brembos. They just had the TL finish on them. Just like brembos on porches and Corvettes don't say brembo, they read the car's logo on them. Personally I think he did a great job.
purplemonkeydishwasher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2009, 02:33 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemonkeydishwasher View Post
The proportioning valve is for the front/rear brake bias of the vehicle. With the Brembos on their, how is the bias and how did you account for the added bite up front compared to the rear? I think thats what he meant...and I am interested in the answer as well.
ok...i see,nope, i didnt adjust the brake bias at all, just changed a Russel SS brake line, Motul 5.1 brake fluid and that's it. The braking reaction isn't VERY VERY sensitive, i just feel it kind of like the stock one
But i do feel the braking power improved, because when on the same speed, i step less on the brake pedal to make the car totally stop when comparing to the stock caliper, brake pad also the main factor for sure, it came with the caliper of the shipment, but i am just wondering is it a performance brake pad or it's actual for track use, because the brake pad always produced some high pitch sound with the brake disc when the car almost turning to stop.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:36 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

El Come Verga
streetlunatic08 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Send a message via AIM to streetlunatic08
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyazn View Post
streetlunatic08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2009, 02:39 AM   #18 (permalink)

Keens
Firestrife has an enormous 8thcivic turboFirestrife has an enormous 8thcivic turboFirestrife has an enormous 8thcivic turboFirestrife has an enormous 8thcivic turboFirestrife has an enormous 8thcivic turboFirestrife has an enormous 8thcivic turboFirestrife has an enormous 8thcivic turboFirestrife has an enormous 8thcivic turboFirestrife has an enormous 8thcivic turboFirestrife has an enormous 8thcivic turboFirestrife has an enormous 8thcivic turbo
We dont have proportioning valves because of Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD).
Firestrife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2009, 03:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
VIP Member

trickyazn is the 8thcivic ninja warriortrickyazn is the 8thcivic ninja warriortrickyazn is the 8thcivic ninja warriortrickyazn is the 8thcivic ninja warriortrickyazn is the 8thcivic ninja warriortrickyazn is the 8thcivic ninja warriortrickyazn is the 8thcivic ninja warriortrickyazn is the 8thcivic ninja warriortrickyazn is the 8thcivic ninja warriortrickyazn is the 8thcivic ninja warriortrickyazn is the 8thcivic ninja warrior
Send a message via AIM to trickyazn
You don't stop faster with a BBK. You stop faster because of the more aggressive pad. I can stop faster than you with Hawk HP+ on my fronts only.

If you slam on the brakes, you will slow down farther than a stock civic si.

TL brakes are only for looks and heat dissipation. NOTHING else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Civic SI
2013 GTR
2008 ISF (sold)
trickyazn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2009, 03:53 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyazn View Post
You don't stop faster with a BBK. You stop faster because of the more aggressive pad. I can stop faster than you with Hawk HP+ on my fronts only.

If you slam on the brakes, you will slow down farther than a stock civic si.

TL brakes are only for looks and heat dissipation. NOTHING else.
Yeah, as i said, i think because of the brake pad, it's the reason. I didnt say because of the BBK.
But worse than the stock si caliper? are you sure??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in