Kraftwerks Supercharger & Hondata Tune - Car bucks at 5K RPM's in 1st and 2nd Gear - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Forced Induction And Nitrous > Supercharging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2019, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ronnie
kingRAZrock just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Garage
Kraftwerks Supercharger & Hondata Tune - Car bucks at 5K RPM's in 1st and 2nd Gear

My car bucks at 5K+ RPMs in 1st and 2nd gear. Third through six pulls hard with no problems in the same range. My 2006 civic SI has been dyno tuned at 430.9 HP to wheels. It's almost as if a rev limiter has been applied to the tune. Not certain what the problem is. Please help! I just had the top of the engine rebuilt due to failure and was ass raped by a mechanic. The starter motor, knock sensor, camshaft solenoid adjuster was also replaced recently. Current mods are as follows:
Kraftwerks Supercharger Kit
Hondata Flash Pro Engine Management System
Hondata Thermal Heatshield Intake Gasket
Brian Crower Stage 2 Camshafts N/A / F/I
Brian Crower Dual Springs, Steel Retainers, Steel Seats
Brian Crower Keeper Locks
Drag Cartel Variable Exhaust Cam Gear
Full Race Exhaust
Skunk 2 Alpha Race Header
Port & Polished Cylinder Head
Skunk 2 Type R Shift Nob
Redline Black Perforated Leather Shift Boot, Double White Racing
Stitching
GrillCraft Front & Lower Grill
M3 Style Mirrors with LED Lighting
Koni Yellow Suspension
Spec R Springs
SPC Front Camber Bolts
SPC Rear Camber Arms
Progress 24 mm Rear Sway Bar
HFP Short Throw Shifter
HFP Body Kit
HFP 18 Inch Rims
General G-Max 215 40 ZR 18 89 W Tires
EBC Performance Brake System Cross Drilled & Slotted Rotors
EBC Yellowstuff Brake Pads - Premium Street, Performance + Race
Calhoun Red Powder Coated Front & Rear Calipers
After Market Pioneer Navigation, CD/DVD Player, Radio, I-Pod
JL Audio Speakers, Tweeters, JL Audio 12 Inch Sub Woofers, 2 JL Audio
Amplifiers, Power Pack

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Ron

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2019, 11:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Tommy
OMGOrangeSi just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingRAZrock View Post
My car bucks at 5K+ RPMs in 1st and 2nd gear. Third through six pulls hard with no problems in the same range. My 2006 civic SI has been dyno tuned at 430.9 HP to wheels. It's almost as if a rev limiter has been applied to the tune. Not certain what the problem is. Please help! I just had the top of the engine rebuilt due to failure and was ass raped by a mechanic. The starter motor, knock sensor, camshaft solenoid adjuster was also replaced recently. Current mods are as follows:
Kraftwerks Supercharger Kit
Hondata Flash Pro Engine Management System
Hondata Thermal Heatshield Intake Gasket
Brian Crower Stage 2 Camshafts N/A / F/I
Brian Crower Dual Springs, Steel Retainers, Steel Seats
Brian Crower Keeper Locks
Drag Cartel Variable Exhaust Cam Gear
Full Race Exhaust
Skunk 2 Alpha Race Header
Port & Polished Cylinder Head
Skunk 2 Type R Shift Nob
Redline Black Perforated Leather Shift Boot, Double White Racing
Stitching
GrillCraft Front & Lower Grill
M3 Style Mirrors with LED Lighting
Koni Yellow Suspension
Spec R Springs
SPC Front Camber Bolts
SPC Rear Camber Arms
Progress 24 mm Rear Sway Bar
HFP Short Throw Shifter
HFP Body Kit
HFP 18 Inch Rims
General G-Max 215 40 ZR 18 89 W Tires
EBC Performance Brake System Cross Drilled & Slotted Rotors
EBC Yellowstuff Brake Pads - Premium Street, Performance + Race
Calhoun Red Powder Coated Front & Rear Calipers
After Market Pioneer Navigation, CD/DVD Player, Radio, I-Pod
JL Audio Speakers, Tweeters, JL Audio 12 Inch Sub Woofers, 2 JL Audio
Amplifiers, Power Pack

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Ron
Let's start with: That sounds like a fully built motor & race car?

Who did the tune on your motor? When did the bucking start? I.E. - were there any changes done to the motor that may have caused this? Or has it always done this since you installed the Supercharger? Maybe if you can post screenshots of your A/F ratios the forum can be better equipped to assist you. Wish you the best. Nothing sucks more than getting taken to the cleaners by a mechanic and still having issues.

Last edited by OMGOrangeSi; 01-07-2019 at 11:17 AM.
OMGOrangeSi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2019, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ronnie
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGOrangeSi View Post
Let's start with: That sounds like a fully built motor & race car?

Who did the tune on your motor? When did the bucking start? I.E. - were there any changes done to the motor that may have caused this? Or has it always done this since you installed the Supercharger? Maybe if you can post screenshots of your A/F ratios the forum can be better equipped to assist you. Wish you the best. Nothing sucks more than getting taken to the cleaners by a mechanic and still having issues.
Thanks for the vote of confidence in my ride. I guess it is a fully built race car. The tune on the motor was completed by JK Motorsports in Milford, Ct by Jerry. I upgraded from a DC Sports short header to Skunk 2 Alpha Series and replaced a 2.5" Vibrant with a 3" Full Race exhaust. Shortly after the install, the engine failed as the timing tensioner blew apart and damaged the valves. I had the top of the engine completely rebuilt and tuned. The check engine light came on in the first 30 miles and produced the following codes: PO133 - 02 Senser Circuit Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 1, PO420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1 and P0171 - System Too Lean Bank 1. He must have forgotten to tune out the catalytic converter and fuel timing was off causing the car to run lean. Once the check engine light came on I didn't drive it over 5000 RPMS in any gear. I brought it back to him three days later and he reconfigured the fuel mixture and tuned out the cat.

The car jerks and or bucks in 1st and 2nd gear at 5000 RPMS but when you mash on it zips through both 1st and 2nd gear skipping from 5000 to redline immediately. Do you think it may have something to do with the tune? I really don't want to go back to this guy in Milford and am considering Evans Tuning in PA. If the problem isn't with the tune a retune would be a waste of time and money. What are your thoughts?

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Kraftwerks Supercharger & Hondata Tune - Car bucks at 5K RPM's in 1st and 2nd Gear-engine-rebuild-information.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Graph File.pdf (1.03 MB, 6 views)
kingRAZrock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2019, 09:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ronnie
Garage
Hooked up an OBD reader this morning and there is a stored code P2A00 - 02 Sensor Circuit Range Performance Bank 1 Sensor 1. The check engine light did not come on. Does anyone have any thoughts on my looming problems with this vehicle? Is the tune the issue based on your experiences or the 02 sensors? If I change the 02 sensors do you believe the jerking and bucking will stop in 1st and 2nd gear after 5,000 RPMS? The Kraftwerk's belt is also starting to fray and have ordered a replacement. Going to bring it to a local mechanic to have it swapped out and troubleshoot the code. Any help would be appreciated. I am trying to get the car running right. Please help!
Old 01-17-2019, 09:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ronnie
Garage
The injector size was reduced from 900 to 800 on the Hondata Flashpro Management and the problem was rectified by my tuner Jerry at JK Motorsports in Milford, CT. The Kraftwerk's Kit runs Grams injectors 1000 and the tuner suggested they were failing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in