MTF suitable for FI - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Forced Induction And Nitrous > Supercharging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2018, 09:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

absolude just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
MTF suitable for FI

My transmission went and I'd like to make sure I'll be using lubrication that will protect it better this time around.
Was using Amsoil MTF and shockingly the main shaft bearings gave in.
My car had the third gear fix done a few years before that.
Reading through the threads most people are very positive about the Amsoil except a couple that had bearing wear like me.
The car was driven hard for street driving but never on a track.

For now, I put Honda MTF but after seing how thin it is is hard to trust it for FI.

*I posted the same thing in the Turbo section since I didn't get any responses when I posted in the general FI forum. Sorry about this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2018, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

123frederikt just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Couple questions:

-How much power are you making?
-What clutch are you using?
-What kind of tires do you have?

I've been using ArchOil for a while and it seems to work pretty well, its an oil additive kinda expensive but worth a try.

Archoil | The Latest Developments In Nano lubrication

Jay Leno did a special on it a while back too

123frederikt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2018, 10:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

I got the KW kit, about 340HP, probably limited by the Invidia header and exhaust.
When it broke I was on the stock clutch. Installed Exedy stage 1, I think, and light flywheel when the tranny was repaired.
Found out the light flywheel adds stress on the transmission and kinda regret doing it.
After the fix it still makes noises when engine braking, especially at highway speeds, quite bad at certain rpms.
At the same time I completed the Hasport mount set and some increased noise is from there, just don't know how much is normal...
I'm using Michelin Pilot SS, 245. I think they weren't that fresh when I got them. I remember the first set that I got in stock size used to pick up pebbles when hot and these ones dont.

Thanks for the additive idea, will most likely order some.
absolude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2018, 07:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Strange! Many people run the KW kit without transmission problems. If you keep having problems you may want to consider buying a built transmission. You can buy the parts yourself or order a built one from a vendor. There's a couple people that build K-series transmissions (King Motorsports?, Kmod performance).

Increased vibration is to be expected when switching to aftermarket motor mounts, this shouldn't effect the transmission much.

An aftermarket clutch/flywheel is more of an issue for the engine thrust bearing not the transmission. Most aftermarket clutch plates have a higher hold force that gets transmitted into the crankshaft thrust bearing. Before you start the car there's no oil pressure to lubricate the crankshaft pressing up against the thrust bearing, so with the extra force it can prematurely wear the thrust bearing.

Are you dumping the clutch or doing a lot of smokey burnouts?

Consider getting an Exedy Hyper Single clutch, its a little pricey but the clutch can be slipped decreasing the peak torque your transmission sees.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Exactly! The KW kit is not known to ruin transmissions and I bought it based on that.

I'm starting to believe more and more the problem started when the 3rd gear fix was done at the dealer.It took two attempts to get it right and always thought I can hear the trannny more when engine braking than when new.

Yes, didn't expect the mounts to cause anything bad, just regret doing it at the same time because there is more noise/roughness and can't tell how much of it is from them.

I never dump the clutch but I release it quickly and drive it quite hard for street but not "hooligan" level.

Thank you for the clutch suggestion, price is high and it doesn't fit my new Exedy flywheel but if go through a tranny fix again I have to consider it.

Do you think is worth considering a brand new transmission from the dealer?
Old 05-15-2018, 12:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

You mean the stealership? Don't get one from them, you'll overpay for it. Your probably better off getting a new used transmission or even better a rebuilt one, last time I checked they run between 800-1200$.

Rebuilt ones run a bit more 1000-2000$+ but unfortunately its the only way to fix the 3rd gear grind issue that common on these transmissions. Before I bought a rebuilt transmission my car would grind in 3rd gear.

Yep the price is certainly high for the clutch, they also make a stage 2 clutch that's cheaper around 600$. I've been using that with success for a couple years now.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes, I meant the dealers. Not sure what options I have up here in Canada.
Kinda regret doing the 3rd gear fix. Mine never grinded but was poppingout of third on ocasion, mostly when cold.

King Motorsports seem to have a good reputation, is where you got yours from?

I'd even travel to have buy and have it installed.
Any drawbacks in driveability with the stage two?
Old 05-16-2018, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

I got my transmission from Kmod performance, so far I haven't had any issues with the rebuild but the owners are annoying to deal with if you do a little research you . Plus it seems like king Motorsports is closer to you if your in Canada.

I'm a big fan of Exedy products, they're a very reputable manufacturer sometimes other companies will use Exedy clutch disks in their clutch kits. The stage 2 has a little heavier clutch feel but not as much as other manufacturers. With any clutch upgrade you may need to upgrade your clutch master cylinder too, Hybrid racing sells a kit that works well.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Great info, always thought people chose clutches based on holding power only.
Had no clue some are better for transmission longevity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in