Interested in supercharging, but still street legal - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Forced Induction And Nitrous > Supercharging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2014, 02:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

vinh92117 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Interested in supercharging, but still street legal

So I've been doing a lot of looking around and I'm still pretty new to this website. I have an 07 civic si, and I love her a lot. I want her to be a monster but still street legal. The only thing she has on her right now is:

Injen CAI
Greddy Ti-C exhausts

As far as header goes, and supercharging my si, the only CA street legal headers I know are Vibrant catted header. I don't mind getting them, for extra power and being legal, but wouldn't the supercharger create too much heat that will damage the cat / header? Forgot to add that I plan on getting CT SC kit.

If you have any other suggestions and builds that you'd recommend, please list them down. I'm always interested in other methods. I've saw TheTongMan's si, and it's mad sick. He's also in CA, so it helps me a bit too, but looking at his build, I don't know how he passes smog, unless he hot smogs it or takes off the parts and puts them back on. But yeah, I look forward to your guys inputs

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2014, 09:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

HFP-CivicSI just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
The Comptech header (CT-e) is legal as well.

For your state, the Stage 1 Comptech (Carb legal) w/ a carb legal header, high flow cat (with your shielding removed off your cat and placed on the HFC), and an exhaust is the way to go. FYI I highly doubt the stock header will be cooked and heat damaged. And even if it does, you can pick them up on here dirt cheap because everyone wants to run aftermarket stuff. Also, once you have the carb sticker under your hood, you can most likely go to stage 2 without any issues with the law.

This is what I have: Flashpro w/ Kraftwerks kit (360hp/240tq), Comptech header, Berk hiflow cat, HFP exhaust. Passes all emissions here no problem at all. 10.5 PSI and it runs awesome.

HFP-CivicSI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2014, 01:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

I see... Thanks for your input. So I take it that you're also in CA?

And sorry for all these questions I'm about to ask, but from what you're saying, once I get a carb sticker ( how do you get one?) I can go stage 2, no problem, and pass emissions, and smog and everything? I thought carb stickers were part by part?
vinh92117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2014, 02:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Joshua Lockwood
Excelerate sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicExcelerate sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicExcelerate sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicExcelerate sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicExcelerate sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicExcelerate sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicExcelerate sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicExcelerate sometimes day dreams about 8thcivic
Send a message via AIM to Excelerate
The CT-E supercharger system is the only CARB approved system I'm aware of.

If you're interested in putting together a package of mods that are CARB approved let me know.
Excelerate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

HFP-CivicSI just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinh92117 View Post
I see... Thanks for your input. So I take it that you're also in CA?

And sorry for all these questions I'm about to ask, but from what you're saying, once I get a carb sticker ( how do you get one?) I can go stage 2, no problem, and pass emissions, and smog and everything? I thought carb stickers were part by part?
I am not in California. I am on the East Coast.

You receive a Carb sticker/paperwork with the CT-e stage 1 blower system. How would someone who is a $13 an hour state employee know that you are a stage 1 vs. stage 2 if you decided to upgrade? As long as you pass the visual (which, its a blower..) and smog/emissions, and have the paperwork showing the Comptech system IS carb legal, I doubt they would know anything between stage 1 and stage 2. It's not like they smog your car at 8,000rpms...

To be 100% honest with you, there is no guarantee you would pass with a stage 2 and other "race" parts. Do I think you'd pass? Yeah, I do. My Kraftwerks kit passes here in PA with no issues whatsoever and makes 360hp, but I still have a catted header, and a hiflowcat. But I make enough power that the extra 20hp from a race header and exhaust (and extra drone/noise) doesn't matter to me.

If there was a guarantee, Comptech would of CARB'd the stage 2. They didn't. But it's not like your swapping out that much more stuff. Start with the standard CT-e setup, then go from there. You'd be surprised how much fun you'd have with it without monkeying around with all of your new parts.
HFP-CivicSI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2014, 06:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

I see what you're getting at. Thanks a lot HFP-CivicSI, you've been a lot of help to me. I really appreciate it, especially when it comes to rookies like me.

And thanks Excelerate! I don't know when I'm going to start projecting my car, but when I do, I'll remember your offer. I'm pretty sure you guys can help me achieve what I want too.
vinh92117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in