got into an accident...need some advice - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Regional Honda Civic Owners - U.S. > North-East

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2008, 11:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Brian Ko
kosi just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Send a message via AIM to kosi
got into an accident...need some advice

I got into an accident today on rt22 in greenbrook. I was comin out of the gas station making a right when this guy in a 5 series switched lanes from the left lane into the right lane where my car had just turned into. He hit the front left part of my bumper which was completely torn off and damaged his passenger side rear door, panel, tire, and he also has a tiny curb rash on the rear passenger rim. The police came and took down our info but didn't issue any summons which a friend told me probably means its no ones fault. I don't really mind payin for the damages to my car because its not too expensive and I can go aftermarket but that bmw's gunna be bank if I have to pay for it. I just had a coupla questions, I've never been in an accident before so any suggestions or advice would really help. Thanks in advance.

Who's fault is it? everyone ive been asking is telling me different stuff...
We both have Geico, does that help me at all?
Because the police issued no summons to either of us does that mean that its no ones fault?
If the police report comes back as nobody's fault can geico still try to say its my fault?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for the help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2008, 11:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

r1ch1e just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Send a message via AIM to r1ch1e
it's basically a tough case to say but in a way it was his right of way. even tho he swtiched lanes. it could be ruled a 50 50 if he was switching right when you was turning out. because it was clear and he turned in and hit your front.

yes they can because they would say you were obstructing his right of way. which was for him to go straight. if it was a single lane it would be easier to say.

was your car already straight or was it partially out of the parking lot and the street?

r1ch1e is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2008, 11:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

dck...
redpepSi sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicredpepSi sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicredpepSi sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicredpepSi sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicredpepSi sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicredpepSi sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicredpepSi sometimes day dreams about 8thcivic
i work for an insurance company, and it sounds as if it will be partial fault to both parties. doesn't matter if there was no citation issued - insurance claim investigations and fault determination run independent from police reports.
redpepSi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2008, 11:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Ian
NIGHTHAWKSI runs yellow lights with gleeNIGHTHAWKSI runs yellow lights with gleeNIGHTHAWKSI runs yellow lights with gleeNIGHTHAWKSI runs yellow lights with gleeNIGHTHAWKSI runs yellow lights with gleeNIGHTHAWKSI runs yellow lights with gleeNIGHTHAWKSI runs yellow lights with gleeNIGHTHAWKSI runs yellow lights with gleeNIGHTHAWKSI runs yellow lights with gleeNIGHTHAWKSI runs yellow lights with gleeNIGHTHAWKSI runs yellow lights with glee
sounds more of your fault by the damage....especially since he was already on teh road and you were pulling into traffic.
hard to prove that you didnt pull into him when your bumper is damaged and his rear door is.

good luck, but it will probly be more of 75% your fault and 25% his.
NIGHTHAWKSI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in