2010 AC trouble shooting help - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2019, 08:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Syndeo has their car in neutral right now
2010 AC trouble shooting help

I know this has been asked before and I have used all of the troubleshooting advice I’ve found but I’m stuck.

Some history.
1. I bought the car with a salvaged title 30 days ago.
2. It’s a 2010 and was wrecked in 2011
3. I replaced the front sub frame that it was being driven with that had a crack
4. When the previous owner bought it he said the condenser was in the truck and never put it in
5. He threw away the condenser so I bought a new one and also ran a new high pressure line because the old one was cut off.
6. The AC still didn’t work when I put in the new condenser. The clutch would not engage.
7. After some research I replaced the clutch relay and thought I was onto something. The clutch finally engaged and it started blowing cold air.
8. About 10 minutes into my 30 minute trip home the ac stopped blowing cold air and the clutch stopped engaging.
8.5. What I can confirm. Is that the ac fans activate when the ac is turned on. They turn off when I disconnect the high pressure sensor power (3 wires).
8.6. I can also confirm that when I exhaust the Freon from the lower line the ac fans also shut off when it’s low and back on when I put more in.
9. NEXT I found a write up on this site that talks through the troubleshooting using a multimeter.
10. The first thing I found was the relay was not getting 12v. I replaced the 7.5 blown fuse and moved to the next tests. From that point forward I kept blowing fuses.
11. When I did the ohm test I got a low “0” reading. The write up says if that is the case it’s a shorted clutch ground. If I’m not sure how I fix the shorted clutch since the write up only says that is the issue and not how to fix it.
12. Something I Also noticed is when the fuse is not blown I am getting battery power on all of the 4 relay pins minus the center one? is that normal?

Sorry for the long post with numbered points but I’m trying to answer as many questions as possible that have been asked in the past.

Thank you in advance for any and all help. It is so hot in the car it’s actually cooler to ride my bike.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2019, 03:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

bakumar just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Since you are blowing fuses, the first step would be to check the wiring to the AC clutch and the compressor and also to the relay.

Since you said that the car suffered a frontal damage chances are that the wiring also got damaged and not looked into since the AC condenser wasn't installed.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

bakumar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2019, 08:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

The accident was in the front passenger side. Any suggestions of what wires to look for? I donít have access to any type of diagram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Syndeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2019, 02:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Suggest that the best place to start would be from the AC clutch/compressor and track the wiring to both the fuse / relay box in the engine bay ( driver side behind the battery) and to the fuse box (located under the dash) and AC controls inside cabin.

Check for insulation damage and loose connection of ground near all the contact points.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Another detail I found is that the AC continues to be able to switch on and off (AC fans) even with the relay removed.

Syndeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2019, 01:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndeo View Post
Another detail I found is that the AC continues to be able to switch on and off (AC fans) even with the relay removed.

Do you mean to say that only the 2 fans are working or even the AC compressor is switching on and off?

Because the fans run off different relays from the compressor and when you power on the AC switch in the dash, its triggers the AC fan and the radiator fan automatically (through the ECU) even if the AC compressor isn't working.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

KingsleyGrey has their car in neutral right now
Great post/ /
KingsleyGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in