Easy AC problem - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2019, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Andrew
ajt49 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Easy AC problem

Hey All,

8th gen civic ex coupe

Long story short my AC would intermittenly kick on and work once I would play with the connection on top of the alternator.

When I "disassembled" both sides of the plug I did not get a picture of the blue, blue red, and blue white wires oriented in the plug. Plug is destroyed. Seems it was bad initially, anyways.

So, before I wire up everything with a new connector - i know that my coil is OK. it measured 4.5 ohm.

I need to know of the blue wires which goes to the red wire that is to my electromagnetic coil? +12 volt source blue/white wire?

Then, the other two wires blue/red and blue (solid) are for the thermal protection system or another relay that when triggered connects the AC coil to ground and to complete the circuit.. Which of these go to the last red wire or black wire? i'm guessing remaining red wire to the signal blue wire, and the black ground wire to the always grounded blue wire..

Am I right?

Also, if anyone can explain the logic of this system it would help immensely.

Thanks so much

Last edited by ajt49; 05-09-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2019, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Andrew
So, when turning my car on. The blue red has power no matter if AC is on or not, and the blue white which had power when car was off, then has no power when car is on.

The solid blue has no power ever... Ground wire connection?

ajt49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 09:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Andrew
Alright everyone I got the compressor running, but it stays on no matter if AC is on or not.

I have blue red wire going to the red wire for AC compressor Clutch/Motor and not sure which red wire coming up to the compressor goes to which blue wire... I haven't seen any good schematics that can tell me

switched leads on thermal protection switch ( they have continuity between them) and it still always runs with AC switch on or not.

I am reading it may be the whole Heating/AC control unit in the dash : part # 79500-SNA-A03ZA

If anyone can help me with knowing how to tell which blue or blue white wire goes on the red or black wire for the thermal protection switch.. that would help.. I can slice some heat wrap if necessary and replace it.

Edit: My defrost on rear window causes static in aftermarket radio. This has been happening for a while, and it could be another piece of evidence that my heating/ac control unit is faulty.

Last edited by ajt49; 05-09-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2019, 10:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

jnissen just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Easy AC problem

Iíll look on mine later to verify but I recall the center pin switched with the AC relay on and off. Unplug from compressor and it should be off. Verify with multimeter the relay will provide power to the center pin when AC is on and no power when off

BTW if it doesnít switch on or off your relay may be stuck on. Remove the relay in the box and swap with the fan relay. I would replace the relay regardless as itís a known weak link. I had to replace compressor clutch and relay on daughters a couple years back. Still working great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jnissen; 05-09-2019 at 10:49 PM.
jnissen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 11:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnissen View Post
Iíll look on mine later to verify but I recall the center pin switched with the AC relay on and off. Unplug from compressor and it should be off. Verify with multimeter the relay will provide power to the center pin when AC is on and no power when off

BTW if it doesnít switch on or off your relay may be stuck on. Remove the relay in the box and swap with the fan relay. I would replace the relay regardless as itís a known weak link. I had to replace compressor clutch and relay on daughters a couple years back. Still working great.

Awesome. I will try that. before I did all this I switched all those 120vdc 20 amp relays around since I wasnt sure which one was exactly the AC compressor relay since there is atleast two frosty symbols haha. Thankyou!
Old 05-09-2019, 11:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajt49 View Post

Awesome. I will try that. Before I did all this I switched all those 120vdc 20 amp relays around since I wasnt sure which one was exactly the AC compressor relay since there is atleast two frosty symbols haha. Thankyou!
Just to be clear you are saying that I should unplug the connector above the alt and probe for the center blue red wire for voltage when hitting my AC button on and then off to see if it always has power. Then if it does always have power - switch another relay into that specific one since the relay may be in the energized position connecting contacts without power to it?

I also destroyed my initial connector on both ends above the alt.. so probing for power is easy haha. Before this it wouldnt turn on.. so that connector had an issue.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnissen View Post

None of the relays have continuity with no power. The measured the correct resistance as well. Theres got to be another relay before relays under the hood, or its my heating control unit, or I'm chasing a short to ground maybe.. I dont know the circuit well enough to picture where it could be.. I'm gunna probe the AC relay location when the dash button is on and off. If that works.. Idk if it makes sense to move to my heating control unit.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Andrew
Relay shows its the Heating Conctrol unit to me.

Legs 1 and 2 are hot and ground respectively to the battery. Then leg 3 is always hot when key is in ignition on I or II and no power when ignition is off. The AC button can be on or off - no change in leg 3.
Attached Thumbnails
Easy AC problem-relay.png  
Old 05-19-2019, 07:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Andrew
All - I got everything working with a new ac/heating control I salvaged from a wrecked civic. I also wired up a new connection above the alternator. I verified it was the controller by swapping both controllers several times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in