How to remove/stop rust from spreading ? - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2019, 01:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

smackbang77 has their car in neutral right now
How to remove/stop rust from spreading ?

Hi guys,

I just noticed a lil bit of rust starting near my trunk above the tail light (center of the picture), as winter is now over with.

It's small but I'm afraid it will spread, I have never dealt with rust before (this is a 2010 civic, see attachment).

Should I be concerned ? What do you suggest that I do ?

Sorry for the newbie question I'm sure most people here know how to deal with this already

Thanks in advance

Attached Thumbnails
How to remove/stop rust from spreading ?-car-rust.jpg  

Last edited by smackbang77; 05-06-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2019, 02:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Ed
EdNaviEx just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
I would try to get a dremel and sand it off. Repainting it will be challenging as I'm sure you will want to blend it perfectly. I'm sure you don't want to paint the whole quarter panel. Anyway, It will get worse eventually. Try a body shop, they would do the same thing but do a better job of blending the color in. Good luck

EdNaviEx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2019, 04:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Tattoo has their car in neutral right now
Paint prevents rust. Watch some YouTube videos on painting body panels it is not hard. Either way the new paint will be fresher than the old paint. Also under coat the chasis.
Tattoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2019, 10:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

MisterBek has their car in neutral right now
You've got quite a few options ranging a paint pen to respraying the car. I would look at the condition of the rest of your paint and the vehicle overall and decide how much fixing you're up for. If you just want to stop the rust and go about your life then I would recommend getting some fine sandpaper (1500) and a can of color matching spray paint. If you find a professional supply place they will mix you a higher quality can of your exact paint code including flake. Or parts stores carry close approximations. If you really really only care about the rust, scrape off as much paint as will come off easily and grab a paint pen. It'll show forever but stopping rust is what they're for. You can see YouTube's for examples of anything.

Edit: forgot to say if it's important to you that it look like this rust spot never happened I would see a professional as mentioned by others. If you're a detail person you can pull it off, but you won't be likely to get perfection the first time

Last edited by MisterBek; 05-07-2019 at 10:23 PM.
MisterBek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019, 08:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

FuntanaS just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Garage
I'd sand the rust and then put some rust converter on it. Don't sand any paint that is still good though. Keep the sanding as contained as possible. After that I would buy a bottle of touch up paint from Honda and finish with that. Some of the Honda touch up bottles come with an abrasive tip on them which would work well.

Don't try spray painting the area and blending into the rest of the quarter. It will look worse than if you did nothing.
FuntanaS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in