Overheating mystery 2010 Civic - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2019, 07:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ernie
erndog72 has their car in neutral right now
Overheating mystery 2010 Civic

My son's 2010 Civic has an overheating problem that is driving me nuts. The car does fine for quite a while and then makes its way to the top of the gauge. I drove it for about 90 minutes twice today with an Innova unit hooked up for live data on the ETC. It maintained 228-235 pretty consistently, varying with driving conditions.However, it ran up to 250 at one point, which caused me to take evasive action.
It started out by losing water all the time, though never when sitting cold. My first fear was a cracked head or blown head gasket. There is no water in the oil and the engine runs great, so I am not leaning that way. Correct me if I'm wrong.
We finally determined that the bottom of the radiator would leak at its seam when hot. We replaced the radiator and hoses, and also the radiator fan, which we found had the blades broken off. It worked well for about a week, but may have been short drives. Started heating up again. We replaced the thermostat, but no change. I then tested and verified good all the relays (not just fan related) and fuses. I replaced the lower ECT sensor (on radiator) yesterday before today's drive, hoping that was it.
Both fans come on when temperature gets above about 217 or so. However radiator fan never comes on just by itself.
Oh yeah, early on my son took it to AAA and they said the ECM must be bad. I replaced that and had it reprogrammed. The dealer had it for quite a while, as they ran into the front of it and did $2,000 damage. My boy got a free bumper out of that deal!
Anyway, I am a my wits end on this. My question now is about the fan. Supposedly there is a low and a high speed. Does it take some kind of special fan, or is that controlled by the circuit?
I am open to any and all ideas about this.
Thanks in advance!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2019, 03:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ernie
erndog72 has their car in neutral right now
I don't know if there is any connection, but in the wacky world of modern car electronics there may be.
The fuel gauge sometimes disappears and sometimes it reverses, i.e. blocks light up from full to some point toward empty.
Also, as an added note:
Yesterday I recharged the freon in the A/C system (was at zero). Now both fans come on when the engine gets warm (earlier than prior); however the radiator fan still never comes on solo.

erndog72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2019, 08:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

yakinbob just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
when antifreeze is replaced, there is a bleeding process to get the air out. also if you use mixable antifreeze, never pour unmixed into engine to let the engine mix it for you,, the car will over heat. check youtube for bleeding process.
yakinbob is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in