07 Cracked Block replace or scrap? - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2019, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Flyingpirate has their car in neutral right now
07 Cracked Block replace or scrap?

Hope this is the right place for this post.

This past weekend my engine finally blew due to the known engine defect. I have an 07 EX coupe MT with 156k miles. The car has been great but this cracked block issue has me wondering if Iíll ever purchase another Honda.

Do I fix or scrap?

I found a low mileage engine 49k at a salvage yard for $700. My shop wants $1800 for labor and I will need a new clutch $300 and an alignment $80. Total $2880. Car is with about $3500. I do really enjoy the car but Iím concerned other repairs will be in my future.

If I scrap it I would get about $500. I have a hand me down 98 accord with about 100k available if I want it.

I need help making a decision please!

Last edited by Flyingpirate; 04-08-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2019, 02:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Rob
Googi just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
did you know Honda extended their warranty for this issue? talk to them and see what you can do.
otherwise it depends on what you want to spend. cheaper to fix and continue, or a new car that will probably be better in reliability

Googi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 11:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

thinkmac has their car in neutral right now
I have 2007 Ex MT as well, but what is this "known engine defect"? Does it get triggered by something? Will I be able to prevent it from happening?
thinkmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2019, 08:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

dirtdevil just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Mine (06 EX coupe) went @ 170k miles. It was replaced in 2015 and at that time the warranty was extended to 10 years & unlimited millage. It was a nightmare (car returned to dealer 13 times to get everything ironed out over a 9 month window). I would contact Honda first before you make any decision to see if they have either extended the warranty timeframe or if they would "Good will" the repair. If not, it's approx $4500 for the repair. If you go the route of pulling a block from a salvage yard DEFINITELY make sure it's not out of an 06-08 model or you stand a real good chance of being right back in this situation again.

Last edited by dirtdevil; 04-16-2019 at 08:37 PM.
dirtdevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2019, 10:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

meathead42 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
I own a 2006 and have 157k on it. I really like it but this cracked block issue has me scared. It almost seems like every 2006 is eventually going to do this? If I sell it now I will be in the hole, I need to get a few more years out of it and would love 200k. Trade-ins are over 20k to get the equivalent car. My car is like new and garaged all of its life.
meathead42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2019, 08:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

dirtdevil just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Yup, always garaged, all scheduled maintenance performed when needed & has never seen any rev over 4500 rpms, yet it fell victim to a cracked block
dirtdevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2019, 03:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Flyingpirate has their car in neutral right now
According to my Honda mechanic I got pretty lucky with it lasting almost 160k miles. Most go sooner. I followed the recommended maintenance plan religiously but it still crapped out on me. It sounds like if you own a 06-09; it's not a matter of if but when. Honda really screwed the pooch on this one.

I did end up installing a '11 engine from a wrecked Civic. Has 49k miles on it and got the clutch and flywheel replaced too. All said and done it was $3000. Still cheaper than another car and at least I know what the car has been through in the past since I am the original owner. Hoping this thing lasts 300k.
Flyingpirate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2019, 10:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

meathead42 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
$3000 is not bad for a almost new motor and clutch setup. I seen sites where guys have almost a million miles on an 2006.

https://jalopnik.com/how-i-put-750-0...t-five-5885287

Not sure if my link I posted will be allowed. The car complaints site shows blocks cracking from 10k to 270k miles.

How does the new engine run? Does everything work properly?
meathead42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in