5w20 oil in civic si - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2019, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Issa_si has their car in neutral right now
5w20 oil in civic si

So I have a 2008 civic si. I was doing some research on oils and trying to figure out what oil I should use when I get my oil changed soon and noticed that everyone is using 5w-30 oil. Iím like thatís weird, why are they using oil that isnít the recommended viscosity for our cars? I had my oil changed last time at the Honda dealership and they changed it with 5w-20 and also my oil cap on my car says 5w-20. I looked online and found an owners manual pdf on Hondaís website and it says the 2008 civic regular models take 5w-20 and that the si takes 5w-30. Why does my oil cap say 5w-20??? Iíve been using the wrong oil this entire time??? Has it caused unnecessary wear to my motor? At this point Iím pretty pissed off as to why my car has a 5w-20 oil cap and Iíve been mislead this entire time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2019, 12:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Issa_si has their car in neutral right now
Insane how dead this forum is. Iím a member on the 10th gen forum even though I donít have a 10th gen civic and have been posting my questions there because whenever I visit this forum itís super dead and nobody ever posts. Looks like Iíll go back to the 10th gen forums and continue posting there. Shouldíve known not to make an account here since nobody visits this forum anymore.

Issa_si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2019, 01:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Tattoo has their car in neutral right now
Honda dealer has oil chart. R18 says 5w-20 but recommend 0w-20. Si says 5w-30 for K20 and 5w-20 for K24. Honestly some use 40weight oil to prevent oil burning so ??? Oil principles are universal you need good flow on startup and good lubrication to prevent metal on metal contact. The 5w-20 oil cap could have been purchased by P.O. I was going to buy a one 0w-20 cap for mine. Either way you need full syn oil for our modern engines
Tattoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in