Oil consumption problems - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2018, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

EpicGamer87 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Alright so I dont know what everyone elses experience has been with oil consumption, but mine seems a bit excessive. I've searched the forum but cant come to a solid reason as to why I'm having crappy oil life. I've owned my 2010 Honda civic si since the beginning, so I know what the past 8, almost 9 years of the cars life has been like. Its daily driven with ~150k miles. I recently did an oil change and about 500 miles in, I'm already a quart low. For about the past year or so I've had about 2.5-3quarts go missing in a 5,000 mile oil change interval... I know Honda's burn oil, but this cant be normal, and it isn't normal because it wasn't like that before (only owner). I've suspected clogged/dirty piston rings, and used BG EPR on two consecutive oil changes, no improvement. I've switched oils from Mobil 1, to Castrol edge, pennzoil ultra platinum, and even amsoil. Same results. Let's be realistic, oil ain't the problem here so let's not turn this into a motor oil debate please put your fanboy panties away before you start rooting for your favorite oil.

What I'm asking is this: what are the most common causes of oil consumption you guys know of in k series motors, particularly the k20z3 if it makes a difference?

I have no leaks except for one DRY LEAK that I've found today at the cam angle sensors. It's not wet so I dont suspect this to cause such a massive amount of oil loss. I've cleaned it up to keep an eye on it though.

Mods if they matter:
Intake
Hondata (still lost oil without hondata).
Imaginary jedi mind force for +5 whp (I'm still in training)

I've also suspected valve seals but I was informed I'd see smoke from the exhaust. The most I get is a dirty exhaust tip.

I'm sure there has to be a common reason behind this oil loss. Constructive input appreciated.

Pcv valve was replaced half a year ago..forgot to mention.

Last edited by EpicGamer87; 12-29-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2018, 05:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

ApexEight has their car in neutral right now
I have similar oil consumption issues. No smoke to note as well. I plan on changing out the PCV valve and install a small, DIY oil catch can. Motor is completely dry. No idea what it is. Excessive blowby? I would imagine that would cause smoke though. '.08 Si with 180K miles.

ApexEight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2018, 08:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexEight View Post
I have similar oil consumption issues. No smoke to note as well. I plan on changing out the PCV valve and install a small, DIY oil catch can. Motor is completely dry. No idea what it is. Excessive blowby? I would imagine that would cause smoke though. '.08 Si with 180K miles.
I've considered a catch can too, but it cant be the solution to the oil consumption because these motors didn't consume this much oil with lesser mileage. Basically a catch can would just keep oil out of the combustion and intake tract. Its oil vapor that would be destined to be burned anyway.
EpicGamer87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2018, 02:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Maybe now that the mileage is getting up there, the piston rings are not sealing as tight and there is more blowby. I see no other explanation if the motor is indeed not leaking. Oil can't just disappear like magic. Either that or valve stem seals that are starting to go.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

jc
Beefed88 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
You pretty much need to do a compression test next.
Beefed88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2019, 08:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Bret
iPhRoST just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
I'm in the same boat almost to a T.

500 miles is guaranteed to need at least a quart lol, I only have 83k but I've gone down the track about a million times and car takes a decent amount of abuse but I'm confident in valve seals. My car does not smoke nearly any for a catless car, but I can smell it burning while at lengthy red lights and I've had someone follow me actually watching my tail pipe while I was doing some diagnosing to confirm but again, I am catless so it's a clearer picture for me.

My compression test with my gauge was consistent +/- 5 PSI across the board so not always a sure fire way for this but the other way you could nail it down is to pull the valve cover, dump oil on the valves and springs and pull the sparks and stick a borescope and see if any oil is landing on the piston crown or your valve is wet.

All else fails do a leak down test!

Last edited by iPhRoST; 01-02-2019 at 08:09 AM.
iPhRoST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2019, 01:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

digger1978 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Honda uses low tension oil rings. Used for better fuel economy. The pistons now also have different alloys in them that don't allow for as much thermal expansion. Compiled with higher compression ratios now, you get oil consumption. Honda had warrantied Accords and CRV's around 08-10 models for excessive oil consumption. I don't understand why Civic's weren't included.

You probably aren't seeing a cloud of smoke on start up. If you did that would suggest your valve guides are worn. My 07 Si has the same issue. It is the rings. The only thing you can do is to re-ring the engine. If you go that far to tear the engine down, you might as well replace the timing chain, water pump, etc and anything else with the engine out of the car.

Last edited by digger1978; 01-15-2019 at 01:30 PM.
digger1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2019, 09:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've roughly quantified my oil loss, it's about a quart every 5K miles. I'm just going to keep an eye on it, which I don't mind, because I like to check up on my cars. I may try an OCC to ensure that whatever oil I do have is as clean as possible. Want to make sure this engine keeps pulling strong past its current 180K miles. Anyone know of an affordable, baffled, closed OCC (don't want vented)? Pretty sure I'm on the original timing chain, and the last thing I'd want is that going due to low/overly-contaminated oil. Got a new PCV valve ready to go in, and Skunk2 magnetic drain plugs (one for the transmission as well), so hopefully that will all help, along with 5K mile oil change intervals with full synthetic oil changes and synthetic media oil filters. Gotta keep an eye on the intake air filter as well.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Tattoo has their car in neutral right now
My R18 was leaking from both the power steering pump and vtec solenoid which is directly above the PS pump so it was confusing. there was very little dripping on the ground but the fluid levels were obvious.

Also Nissan Z's and G35/37 engines are famous for burning oil thru the PCV valve so I guess it's common for a Japanese engine ,

Jegs sells a oil catch can which is essentially a air compressor inline filter. I went this route. Lots of people on YouTube are seeing the benefits of using catch cans for any car produced (import or domestic, turbo or NA)
Tattoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2019, 12:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

I guess it's safe to say that low tensile piston rings are the blame, especially since I've got a little over 150k now. I doubt the rings are clogged as I've used BG products twice now to clean the internals. It just sucks because come 5k miles for an oil change, most of the originally poured oil has already been burned and replaced with new oil.. which makes me wonder what kind of interval I should be really changing the oil (mostly for the filter's sake). If I go with amsoil I'm confident I can go 15k with a good filter like a Purolator Boss or Wix XP filter. It just feels like all I need to be worried about is the filter and not the oil since it's being frequently fed new oil. Not to mention the costs of keeping up with 5k oil change intervals on an already increased spending on oil for refilling. Anyone have any thoughts on this idea?
EpicGamer87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2019, 06:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
VIP Member

Gary
killswitch21 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Look at your VTC Strainer and spool valve filter. They tend to clog up with higher mileage and can increase your oil consumption.

Also, just an observation/theory, but I experienced a slight increase in oil consumption when I got Flashpro years ago, and I have a theory that since it lowered my VTEC window, and VTEC is by oil pressure, that perhaps the lower VTEC window has me hitting VTEC more often when DDing, thus Causing more oil consumption. Again, just a theory.
killswitch21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2019, 12:02 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch21 View Post
Look at your VTC Strainer and spool valve filter. They tend to clog up with higher mileage and can increase your oil consumption.

Also, just an observation/theory, but I experienced a slight increase in oil consumption when I got Flashpro years ago, and I have a theory that since it lowered my VTEC window, and VTEC is by oil pressure, that perhaps the lower VTEC window has me hitting VTEC more often when DDing, thus Causing more oil consumption. Again, just a theory.
The VTC strainer is on the passenger side of the engine, right? Where's the spool valve filter?
Old 01-22-2019, 09:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
VIP Member

Gary
killswitch21 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexEight View Post
The VTC strainer is on the passenger side of the engine, right? Where's the spool valve filter?
Yes, Passenger Side under IM.

the spool valve is on the back side of the motor, also passenger side. Prob Easiest to get to with V.C. removed.
killswitch21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in