AC Problem - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2018, 09:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Buhhzy just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
AC Problem

Hi all,

I'm having some issues with my ac and was hoping someone could help me diagnose the problem. I have done lots of research on various problems with these civics but have yet to find out whats wrong.

Car: 2007 Honda Civic Sedan

My ac is intermittent, works every morning (ac clutch engages) but once the car gets warm (after 20-30km) the air gets warm and humid with a slight musty smell. After this point the ac clutch no longer engages until the car sits for a day or so. This issue is very frustrating because when the ac clutch is engaged the air is ice cold. It's only after the car warms up that it shuts off and won't come back on. A common solution is changing the ac relay which I have done and it did not fix the problem. The ac clutch does make a distinct sound when it turns on... not sure if this is hinting at a solution or the fact that the air is extremely humid and musty after the clutch doesn't want to engage.

I'm not sure if this is an electrical problem, bad ac clutch or even a failing serpentine belt that is causing heat with friction to prevent the clutch from engaging. I guess it could also be low refrigerant?

Any help is much appreciated... hoping to avoid paying the $1000+ for a complete new system on a 10 year old car.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2018, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

MisterBek has their car in neutral right now
On the cheap you can buy some r-134 with a gage and check the low side line pressure (should only connect one place) then add refrigerant till it likes the pressure. I would do this on a day the clutch engages, otherwise you'll have to jumper it on so the pressures read right. I personally recommend cans of coolant without oil If it's never been touched till now. Too much oil is a killer, but too little is worse, so you'll need some eventually if you've got a leak long term.

If you want the a.c. to run it's best and are paranoid about damaging it then take it to a shop for a leak test and refil. Won't be anything like $1000, but it is certainly more than the diy solution. It's probably an o-ring or something else small.

MisterBek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2018, 03:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

KC
Xenin just put it into 4th gear on 8thcivicXenin just put it into 4th gear on 8thcivicXenin just put it into 4th gear on 8thcivicXenin just put it into 4th gear on 8thcivicXenin just put it into 4th gear on 8thcivicXenin just put it into 4th gear on 8thcivic
Too much air gap. Check the gap with a feeler gauge when the engine is hot, not cold. Should be .65mm or less. If more than that remove a shim and replace with a smaller one or none at all.

I have the exact same problem. Gonna replace or remove the shim this weekend.
Xenin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2018, 11:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

zchen
zchen just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Yep, I had the same problem and had to remove one shim to close the gap. It's been working ever since.

I tried recharging freon, cleaning the condenser, relays, until I took off 1 shim......
zchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2018, 11:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

4DoorDriven just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Send a message via AIM to 4DoorDriven
Did you replace the correct relay in the under-hood fuse box? The one you need is the one in slot #12
I had a similar problem with the a/c clutch and the relay fixed the problem.
Hope you figure it out soon!
4DoorDriven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2018, 11:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Alex
AJDubbs just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
I have the same issue, but it's the opposite. It will go out when the car is first one, and then come back after a bit of driving. I had the AC recharged (it needed it anyway) and the AC relay replaced, and I'm hoping that I don't have to have the compressor replaced, as that's an $1100 job.
AJDubbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2018, 02:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Chris
Chalt has their car in neutral right now
Did you get it solved? What was the fix?
Chalt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in