8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

2 to 1

2K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  jaxson 
#1 ·
ok so sometimes when downshifting from 2 to 1 its kind of hard to get it in, what would be causing that?

#9 ·
How are you able to cruise at 2nd gear at 4mph??? I havent done this cuz it sounds like the car is about to stall at 7mph. Due to gear ratio calculations, 4mph in 2nd gear should put you below 700, which is idle.

I usually clutch in around 4-6mph, keep it in second, and slip it back in(like a 2nd gear start) until 7 mph before I left off the clutch fully.

#15 ·
rev match, so lets say your are going in 7mph which puts you in between 2nd and 1st or as I like to call it 1 and a half which is the gear used in ridiculous Toronto traffic. So if you really insist on putting it into first rev the engine with clutch pressed to about 2.2k and it should go easier into first. You are basically doing the job for the synchros which won't have to work as hard...

#20 ·
When it's cold I cant shift into 1st, even at 4 mph. Revving with the clutch pressed doesnt do anything for the syncros. It's not helping at all. So I dont understand how that helps getting into 1st gear. If it does help, it's not you helping the syncros. It's something else.

#26 ·
Wow, i've never had a problem shifting into 1st @ 10mph+. I can stick it into 1st @ 25mph and do it completely smooth to the point where you will just hear the engine revving. I rev match with the clutch in (the syncro do spin doing this) and off I go.

Do this: Start rolling slowly in 1st gear and learn what RPMs its at @ 3, 4... 7,9 even 10mph. Then shift into 2nd gear, slow back down to 6 or 7mph, rev the engine to the aproximate RPMs and stick it into 1st. It will go in smooth as butter if the RPMs are dead on.

I stick it into 1st 12mph and under. 2nd for 13mph + :vtec:

#28 ·
I do it all the time with no problems at all... you need to be exacly 1000 rpm higher when switching into first from second otherwise it will be tough to imposable. and if your not used to rev matching then dont do it.

#29 ·
I do rev match in my normal driving, and I even double clutch from 3rd to 2nd if Im afraid its going to grind. My issue is that with a synchronized transmission, it should be grinding at all for a normal downshift from 3rd to 2nd gear. Or even going into 1st at 5 mph. But mine does when its cold. It doesn't even let me in at times.

#31 ·
I agree you dont need to downshift into 1st gear really unless under 4mph. However there are ppl that can at 10mph, with simply rev matching. But that's not my issue.

My issue is I have problem downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, even after warming up for 5 minutes, and driving for 5 minutes. Im not doing it quick or at high rpms. It shouldn't grind or pop out. The temps have been in the 20s lately. Its cold, but its not like below 0.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.