H.I.D's drawing too much power - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Civic Style > Lighting, H.I.D.'s, & Neon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2007, 11:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

civic_coupe just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
H.I.D's drawing too much power

i have the kit from ebay..and its definately drawing more power than normal, car rumbles when i use rear defroster and whatnot. is anyone experiencing the same problem with power usage on their hid pnp kits? it would be great if i can get around this issue... maybe upgrading my battery to optima? a better alternator? this is my first car and im learning as i go.. please help. honda is useless =)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2007, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Kirk
cappykd just put it into 3rd gear on 8thciviccappykd just put it into 3rd gear on 8thciviccappykd just put it into 3rd gear on 8thciviccappykd just put it into 3rd gear on 8thciviccappykd just put it into 3rd gear on 8thcivic
Send a message via AIM to cappykd Send a message via MSN to cappykd
I have two sets of the same kit and mine draws less than before... I have a voltmeter in my car so I could tell.. Hmmm. Did you use the relay harness?

cappykd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2007, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
8thcivic Sponsor

XenonDepot will be known by all on 8thcivic soon
HIDs draw more power upon startup however once they are running they should be drawing less.
XenonDepot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2007, 04:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

bung_goo likes to double clutchbung_goo likes to double clutchbung_goo likes to double clutch
I think typical steady state for halogens is at 55W where typical HIDs run at 35W. But when the HIDs are ignited they need a HUGE voltage to excite the xenon gas. So at startup they take a lot - but I think it's ramped up using the ballast but in less than one second it maintains at 35W. If it's taking too much power, one test you can try is, go on a slight incline and shift into 1st, then just creep up. Typically w/ halogen the lights will start to flicker or go dimmer. The HIDs are either on or pretty much off, so try that. If they flick off, then maybe they are drawing too much power.

My HIDs are taking much less. The only time I can notice them is when I startup the car and when I flick them on, I hear a light crackling sound. I don't know what it is and I don't really care. haha
bung_goo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2007, 04:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
8thcivic Sponsor

XenonDepot will be known by all on 8thcivic soon
Its also a question of you are using a relay harness or not. A relay harness like the ones in our kit power the ballasts from the battery. Some kits dont include a relay harness and get you to power the ballast directly from the OEM headlight harness (not designed for it).

Steve
XenonDepot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2007, 05:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Kevin
caveman74 has an enormous 8thcivic turbocaveman74 has an enormous 8thcivic turbocaveman74 has an enormous 8thcivic turbocaveman74 has an enormous 8thcivic turbocaveman74 has an enormous 8thcivic turbocaveman74 has an enormous 8thcivic turbocaveman74 has an enormous 8thcivic turbocaveman74 has an enormous 8thcivic turbocaveman74 has an enormous 8thcivic turbocaveman74 has an enormous 8thcivic turbocaveman74 has an enormous 8thcivic turbo
ALWAYS run a relay harnees on HID no matter what.
caveman74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2007, 05:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

KG
KGDAKID30 will be known by all on 8thcivic soon
Send a message via Yahoo to KGDAKID30
Question

XD if the HID's use less power than the OEM lights, then why cant the stock connecter be used to power the HID's. Why do we need to use the relay? Would the voltage from the battery over-power the ballasts?

KGDAKID30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2007, 07:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Kevin
caveman74 has an enormous 8thcivic turbocaveman74 has an enormous 8thcivic turbocaveman74 has an enormous 8thcivic turbocaveman74 has an enormous 8thcivic turbocaveman74 has an enormous 8thcivic turbocaveman74 has an enormous 8thcivic turbocaveman74 has an enormous 8thcivic turbocaveman74 has an enormous 8thcivic turbocaveman74 has an enormous 8thcivic turbocaveman74 has an enormous 8thcivic turbocaveman74 has an enormous 8thcivic turbo
HID at startup pulls close to 20 AMPS. It puts stress on the stock harness. A relay harness pulls the power from the battery
Old 03-08-2007, 07:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

justin
honda06si just installed chrome spinner hubcapshonda06si just installed chrome spinner hubcapshonda06si just installed chrome spinner hubcapshonda06si just installed chrome spinner hubcapshonda06si just installed chrome spinner hubcapshonda06si just installed chrome spinner hubcapshonda06si just installed chrome spinner hubcapshonda06si just installed chrome spinner hubcapshonda06si just installed chrome spinner hubcapshonda06si just installed chrome spinner hubcapshonda06si just installed chrome spinner hubcaps
Send a message via AIM to honda06si
so the light kit he got from ebay doesnt have the relay harness?
honda06si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2007, 07:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

John
japspecjohn just put it into 2nd gear on 8thcivicjapspecjohn just put it into 2nd gear on 8thcivic
Send a message via AIM to japspecjohn
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman74
ALWAYS run a relay harnees on HID no matter what.
where can you get one of these?
japspecjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2007, 07:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Kevin
Xenon Depot sells them.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

John
japspecjohn just put it into 2nd gear on 8thcivicjapspecjohn just put it into 2nd gear on 8thcivic
Send a message via AIM to japspecjohn
Quote:
Xenon Depot sells them.
k found it....
http://www.xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=50
by any chance do you kknow are they sold in pairs or do you have to buy 2?
japspecjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2007, 07:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Kevin
should just be one. I have never bought one, I have always made my own.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

Orient Express just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicOrient Express just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicOrient Express just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicOrient Express just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicOrient Express just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicOrient Express just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicOrient Express just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicOrient Express just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicOrient Express just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivic
Quote:
HID at startup pulls close to 20 AMPS. It puts stress on the stock harness.
Not true. HID ballasts draw less than 10 amps at startup and 4-6 amps in a steady state. If the ballasts were really drawing 20 amps then the 10 amp leg fuse on each ballast would open.

The stock headlamp wiring on the Civic is the same for both HID and Halogen lamps for all markets. The stock lighting harness is more than capable of handling the HID retrofit with no problems.

While there is nothing wrong in installing a direct battery connection for your HID setup, there is absolutely nothing to be gained. The notion that HID lamps can damage a wiring harness is urban legend, and is in the same league as the idea that your oil should be changed every 3000 miles. In fact, improperly installed relay harness have been know to cause more problems than they solve. Usually these setups have only a single fuse link, and it is a 20 amp or more one. An unintentional short to ground will cause all sorts of havoc, before the fuse opens. I have even seen engine fires started because of incorrectly installed harnesses.

But don't just take my word for it, here is a quick little test that will show you that this is unfounded paranoia. Simply place an ampmeter inline with your HID lamps, turn on your lights, and see for yourself.

As to the original posters concerns, the condition that he states is typical for almost any car. With headlights, rear defroster, (probably heater fan on, etc.) the car's alternator is probably supplying current at close to its capacity, and is causing the drag on the engine (remember an alternator is in effect a big electromagnet, and the more current that it is called on to provide, the harder it is to turn). Turn off the defroster and heater motor and the drag will go away. You also did not mention if you have added another radio or amplifer. All of this stuff adds up, and will make your electrical system work harder. It has nothing to do with the HID units.

These extreme electrical demand situations are why some cars like police, and emergency vehicles have larger than stock alternators. They need to provide more supply for the higher current draw.

The one bright side (no pun intended) with HID lamps is that in a steady state, they draw less current then the halogen lamps they replace, so your electrical system is not taxed as much as it could be.

My advice is not to worry, the condition you describe is normal.

Last edited by Orient Express; 03-08-2007 at 10:02 PM.
Orient Express is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2007, 12:24 AM   #15 (permalink)

Chris
ccarbajal08 just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicccarbajal08 just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicccarbajal08 just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicccarbajal08 just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicccarbajal08 just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicccarbajal08 just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicccarbajal08 just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicccarbajal08 just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicccarbajal08 just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicccarbajal08 just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivic
Send a message via AIM to ccarbajal08
My Philips 4300 bulb / ballast set came with two harnesses from XenonDepot
ccarbajal08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2007, 05:48 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Kevin
I have seen a VIDEO of HID starting up. It pulls a bunch of AMPS. I am not passing misinformation. If it was so safe for your stock harness, then why do the sell relay harnesses?

The 20AMP I said was too much, But I thought it was a bunch from the video

Looking at the stock wiring on my Civic, i'd say the headlight wires are 20ga tops. 20ga wire has a current limit of 11A. the stock halogen will pull 4.6A for low beams and 5A for high beams. while this is fine for halogen, you throw some HID ballasts that can pull in excess of 10-12A during startup, and you're risking burning up your wires. why risk it?

Last edited by caveman74; 03-09-2007 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:06 AM   #17 (permalink)

NorCal Meet Organizer
Dwn4nythng just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicDwn4nythng just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicDwn4nythng just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicDwn4nythng just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicDwn4nythng just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicDwn4nythng just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicDwn4nythng just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicDwn4nythng just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicDwn4nythng just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicDwn4nythng just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivic
Thought it was weird hearing HID's drawing too much power, should be less.
Dwn4nythng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2007, 11:31 AM   #18 (permalink)

Orient Express just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicOrient Express just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicOrient Express just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicOrient Express just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicOrient Express just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicOrient Express just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicOrient Express just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicOrient Express just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicOrient Express just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivic
Quote:
I have seen a VIDEO of HID starting up. It pulls a bunch of AMPS. I am not passing misinformation. If it was so safe for your stock harness, then why do the sell relay harnesses?

The 20AMP I said was too much, But I thought it was a bunch from the video

Looking at the stock wiring on my Civic, i'd say the headlight wires are 20ga tops. 20ga wire has a current limit of 11A. the stock halogen will pull 4.6A for low beams and 5A for high beams. while this is fine for halogen, you throw some HID ballasts that can pull in excess of 10-12A during startup, and you're risking burning up your wires. why risk it?
The relay harnesses that are available with the HID retrofit kits are generic ones, that can be used on any car. Older cars that were pre-HID are the target market for these harnesses. In just about every car manufactured after 2001, the lighting wiring is the same for HID and non-HID cars. This is because it is easier and cheaper for a manufacturer to only have one lighting harness for a given model.

The Civic lighting wiring is 18 gauge and is the same gauge as the wiring on the retrofit kits between the ballast and the lamps. Further, the design of Ballasts that are in use today (both the Asian and European types) were designed with current automobile wiring schemas in mind. The design parameters for these devices know that they need to draw less than 10 amps at startup, simply because that is the wiring environment that they will be placed into service in. In addition, no manufacturer would expose themselves to the liability of offering a product that could damage a car's wiring through normal operation. The lawyers simply would not allow it.

Caveman74, I would strongly suggest that you test the startup current draw on a typical ballast with an amp meter to see for yourself. If you use fact rather than speculation for your basis of concern, you will see that while it is a valid concern, it is unfounded.
Orient Express is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2007, 03:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Kevin
dude, go and read up on Hidplanet. OEM ballast's typically pull 13- 15 AMPS at startup. And these are the facts.

Read this too
http://faqlight.carpassion.info/headlamp-harness.html
Old 03-09-2007, 04:08 PM   #20 (permalink)

Kirk
cappykd just put it into 3rd gear on 8thciviccappykd just put it into 3rd gear on 8thciviccappykd just put it into 3rd gear on 8thciviccappykd just put it into 3rd gear on 8thciviccappykd just put it into 3rd gear on 8thcivic
Send a message via AIM to cappykd Send a message via MSN to cappykd
Quote:
dude, go and read up on Hidplanet. OEM ballast's typically pull 13- 15 AMPS at startup. And these are the facts.

Read this too
http://faqlight.carpassion.info/headlamp-harness.html
+1
If they didn't pull that much current why would the relay harness come with a 20 amp fuse...

cappykd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in