TSX TB vs TSX bored with port match IM - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Bolt-Ons And All-Motor > Intake & Spacer Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

sneakz just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
TSX TB vs TSX bored with port match IM

So i just bought a used TSX throttle body from another member because he gave me a stellar deal, and I've got some questions.

My original plan was to buy a 70ish'mm outlet TB (ZDX, etc) and have my RBC intake manifold port matched. These would compliment a S2 alpha header, Q300 exhaust, 3.5 inch intake, IM gasket, RDX injectors, and a dyno tune.

My question is this - how much power am i sacraficing having 64-65mm throughput (TSX TB and stock RBC mani) VS 68-70mm throughput (ZDX or bored TSX TB with an RBC port match)? Im currently leaning towards leaving the TSX TB and RBC stock due to the hassle of having to take off the mani, send it and the TB to be bored, reinstalling it all, and having my car undriveable for "x" amount of days while all of this is going on. If the difference is only a couple ponies then I wont bother.

THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANKS!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

John
homeSIcK20 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Garage
On stock camshafts I wouldnt bother..

homeSIcK20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

its unlikely i will do cams as i dont want to replace the valve springs/retainers/TCT, etc. i guess TSX TB is probably the direction i will go then.

anyone else have any opinions or experience with this type of setup?
sneakz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

NightHawk2.0
NightHawk2.0 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
I'm running the J35 with my stock RBC as well as I/H/E and Vit Tuned. Car feels great The only way that I would go bigger is if I plan on doing Cams. In that case I would run: J37 w/ port matched RBC, RDX or bigger Injectors as well as all the other required hardware. Seeing as how you're only on bolt-ons, save your money.
NightHawk2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

John
homeSIcK20 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk2.0 View Post
I'm running the J35 with my stock RBC as well as I/H/E and Vit Tuned. Car feels great The only way that I would go bigger is if I plan on doing Cams. In that case I would run: J37 w/ port matched RBC, RDX or bigger Injectors as well as all the other required hardware. Seeing as how you're only on bolt-ons, save your money.
this is my setup as well and its a fun car.
homeSIcK20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Shark Tek just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicShark Tek just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicShark Tek just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicShark Tek just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicShark Tek just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicShark Tek just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicShark Tek just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicShark Tek just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicShark Tek just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivic
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk2.0 View Post
Do a port match on your RBC and put back the J35.

Just do it and save my nick somewhere because you are going to send me a PM saying
Quote:
What the hell happened to my car?
It feels so different and better.
I really dont have an explanation. I have an idea but I will keep it for myself. After I opened the RBC inlet to 70mm and pair it with a J35 the car felt more powerful than with the J35 and a stock RBC. I also put in a P2R IMG but I dont think it is the responsible of my car improvement.

Did an eDyno in a flat road after driving like an hour and got this surprise.

And to corroborate that the car is breaking traction in 1st gear in all the roads surfaces that it was unable to do it before the mods.

Simply impressive.

Last edited by Shark Tek; 10-05-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Shark Tek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

NightHawk2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Tek View Post
Do a port match on your RBC and put back the J35.

Did an eDyno in a flat road after driving like an hour and got this surprise.

And to corroborate that the car is breaking traction in 1st gear in all the roads surfaces that it was unable to do it before the mods.

Simply impressive.
If you didn't feel a difference when you opened up the inlet of the RBC then your car should be scrapped. If I was going to port my RBC, it wouldn't only be the inlet, it'd be the whole thing(Cut in half and ported). With that I wouldn't dream of running a J35(too small of an inlet). Mind you, I would ONLY do that if I was going to get cams. Then and only then. Some people believe in putting TBS and gaskets and all that jazz. I like to keep things simple...........Especially when they work.

An eDyno is all good for numbers and over rating, but numbers don't always translate to the right results. I eDyno'd at 211whp and 144tq(Or something like that). Then Vit did a second eDyno and it came back at 223whp and 145tq(Somewhere around there). I was kind of disappointed but then car runs and pulls like a [email protected]&%!........Especially on the top end. Let's just say that I'm not complaining. I'm glad that you were able to get those numbers(impressive), but are your 1/4mile times reflective of those numbers? We all have our opinions and have done all our research(Hopefully) so we'll never fully agree on these things. A lot of variables are involved as every engine is different, as is the location to which we drive. These variable are reflective of the different results that people get. Shark.......You done your tune yet? Hit the Drag yet? Any videos?
Old 10-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Shark Tek just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicShark Tek just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicShark Tek just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicShark Tek just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicShark Tek just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicShark Tek just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicShark Tek just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicShark Tek just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicShark Tek just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivic
Breaking traction in 1st.

The tune is ready. I only need to fine tune it in a dyno to get set the best cam angle on my car. But I dont expect to make more than 5whp at most by doing that. I also need to find some free time to go to the track.

I went one day when I only had S2 CAI and S2 Alpha Header with FlashPro tuned by me and was able to do [email protected]

Now I have the P2R IMG, enlarged RBC inlet, J35 and Q300. With all these new mods and how the car feels now it should be trapping at least 100mph.

Yesterday I ran a MazdaSpeed3 1st gen. Managed to pull two cars not 1, not 2., 3 times. Rolling from 50mph. Proving, at least for me, that I'm on the right track.

Last edited by Shark Tek; 10-05-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Stephen
w00t692 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Sounds about right to me. When i took my rbc off and port matched it to my tsx throttle body along with shaving the iacv down i noticed a bump in power for sure.

I'm at the point now with my camshafts that i absolutely need a ported intake manifold. I feel like the power isn't there up top. It's good but not great.
w00t692 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

i had not checked this thread in a few days and thought it died.

so some are saying the IM port match and TB bore are worth it, and some are saying its pointless. has anyone ever seen numbers proving one or the other?

@w00t - the way i read your post it sounds like you port matched your TSX TB with the RBC inlet - i was under the impression they are almost the exact same size, around 64.5mm outlet.

if im only looking to get 2 or 3 whp from opening the TSX and IM port i'm not sure it would be worth the hassle and cost.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Just open the inlet to 70mm and slap the tsx TB to it.

There are two guys here that did it.

Woot and I.

Both experienced a notable improvement in how the car accelerates.

I know that is hard to explain and doesn't make sense but is real.

I have the experience that in a road that my car never was able to break traction while flooring it in 1st gear until I upgrade the RBC then things changed.

That is my benchmark and proof that the improvement I felt on the car is real and not a placebo effect.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

NightHawk2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Tek View Post
Just open the inlet to 70mm and slap the tsx TB to it.

There are two guys here that did it.

Woot and I.

Both experienced a notable improvement in how the car accelerates.

I know that is hard to explain and doesn't make sense but is real.

I have the experience that in a road that my car never was able to break traction while flooring it in 1st gear until I upgrade the RBC then things changed.

That is my benchmark and proof that the improvement I felt on the car is real and not a placebo effect.
Duly noted. I've been breaking traction in first ever since I started my tune, even more so now. I'm not saying that porting doesn't result in more power, I just think that if you're going to port your RBC to 70mm, you should be running a J37. We could go back and forth all day, but no of us have numbers to back any of this up. It all boils down to a matter of opinion.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

For now i guess I'll remain on the fence about it. If i decided to go through the hassle of taking the IM off to get it ported I will definitely send the TSX TB off to port as well. From what I've read it should be able to go from 64mm to 68mm. its not as good as 70mm, but 68mm is one hell of an upgrade from 60mm.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

dontletoff just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Garage
The j35 and j37 question with ported rbc or rrc I feel has no answer. They both have gains, some people are running the j37 on stock motor with great gains, however many say never go j37 route without cams and ported manifold. I have read rrc is awesome and also have read it is a complete waste of time. I have read days of information on the j35, j37, rbc vs rrc on multiple forums and I still have no clue what route to take.

I know this doesn't help the op but again the op is up in the air about where to go from here.

Last edited by dontletoff; 11-18-2013 at 11:51 AM.
dontletoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2013, 12:21 AM   #15 (permalink)

NightHawk2.0
At the end of the day the person will decide either way which is best for them based on the information that they read or receive based on the questions that they ask. All of MY decisions have been based on information compiled from many threads on different forums. As it stands now, I feel that my setup has worked extremely well for the intended purpose. Hopefully OP will be able to decide on what's best for him and only him. After all, only he knows how his car responds to different parts. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in