Android Head help, EX Coupe amp setup - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Civic Style > I.C.E., Electrical, Security, & Navigation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2018, 10:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Eric
emax4 has their car in neutral right now
Android Head help, EX Coupe amp setup [FIXED]

Hello. I was enticed by the touchscreen interface on my girlfriend's SUV and wanted one for myself, so I ended up picking up a no-name Android head unit, an SWM 8022.

I got it in but had no audio, and that's when I dug around to discover I had to hook up the original amp head, and that's why I'm here. This is my first stereo swap in 24 years of car ownership, so I'm new to a lot of things here. I'm already a bit lost but eager to learn.

My first purchase was the Scosche HA10B. When I discovered that won't fix my lack of audio issue I also purchased an antenna adapter, but further reading helped me conclude that I needed a Scosche HA13B Non-NAV harness (purchased yesterday on eBay), and for good measure I also purchased a Metra 701727 kit. I'd like to use the stock amp since I don't plan on investing a lot into audio, at least at this time. I'm going for clarity over volume, but I'd like to keep things as clean as possible (and already not doing that great of a job at it, haha).

Now off the bat I notice that the HA13B has the wide connector harness with the speaker wires, and the amp connector has a blue wire and two left/right RCA jacks. And the Metra kit has only the required power/ground, and standby wires for the wide connector, and the complete speaker wires for the amp harness. I bought 'em both as i figured I'll only need one and can return the other. but for what I want which is just to get the stock speakers and amp working (and possibly the sub), I'm a little lost. On the back of the Android head right by the antenna jack on the far left are the two R and L outputs, and the 4 RCA jacks next to that are regular AV ports. There is no separate subwoofer port. The android head has two blocks of wires on top of each other, the top block has the front and rear left and right speakers (positive and negative for each speaker), and the bottom block has the power, ground, and other necessary wires. Both blocks of wires are already connected to the Scosche HA10B harness, which I'll end up re-doing when the other parts come in. In my case though, I'd like to use the stock speakers and amp. Is the Scosche or Metra the right kit to use? One has it so the speaker wires go to the main wide connector while the other has the speaker wires going to the narrow connector.

I was also recommended to use a line level adapter. I see it has left and right RCA female jacks, but what about the two or more wires that come out of it? Do they go to power and ground? Do they connect directly to the subwoofer? If I didn't have to drill a hole through the firewall to mount a separate cable to the battery I would install and amp, but like most DIY car projects I'm hesitant to attempt it because of the far of getting stuck or not being able to put something back together that I've taken apart. On my old Ford F150 it wasn't so bad as it wasn't my daily driver, but even then I was hesitant to attempt some heavier-duty repairs (biggest obstacle cleared was replacing the alternator myself).

I've done a lot of homework and am currently reading/viewing more about this. I've checked YouTube videos where one guy used T-taps to tap in to the blue wire on his stock amp in order to get sound, while another spliced the narrow amp harness to get sound. What the pros and cons of those techniques, esp for someone inexperienced with audio modification? I've built computers, disassembled and reassembled laptops, built Hackintoshes, and installed a backup camera on my Civic, but am foreign to audio improvements. I'll be doing more reading and learning for a while here.

Side note: I had gone from using an HTC One M9 cellphone to a Samsung Galaxy S7, and the total volume has decreased significantly. That's another reason I'd like to try and get the volume levels I had before, but if I can go about using the stock amp or a slightly more powerful-than-stock amp without a lot of modification, I'm all for it.

Right now I also have the wires from the Android head connected to the Scosche HA10B using crimped terminals with electrical tape. I'd like to be able to mount two 8-point terminal strips so that I can connect the block wires to those then use the other sides to go to the right terminal, and be able to remove them easily if I swap something out. Is that something that is generally done or better to do? I ask because the wiring jobs I've seen mostly use butt-crimped terminals with wire shrink.

Thank you!

Last edited by emax4; 08-29-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2018, 09:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Eric
emax4 has their car in neutral right now
I got it! I had gone back on Amazon and read the reviews (actually showed up in a search) and saw that the Scosche HA13B harness I purchased was wired incorrectly and sent out from the factory!

I ended up putting a tap on the white and blue wire from the amp harness (smaller of the two) and connecting it to a terminal strip I mounted which went to the Android head. i finally got sound!

emax4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2019, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

carlosiqm has their car in neutral right now
Hi,

You can please place images of how you made the connection.

Thank you
carlosiqm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in