Power supply wire to ignition coils ('09 Si) - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Civic Style > I.C.E., Electrical, Security, & Navigation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2017, 11:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

si_scott just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Power supply wire to ignition coils ('09 Si)

Can anyone tell me where to find the power supply wire to the ignition coils on an 8th generation ('09) Civic Si, and what color it is?

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2017, 04:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

RedCoupe just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Garage
Well if you just remove the cover and look at each connector plugged into each coil you will see that there are three wires:one (black/white), another which varies (4 Brown, 3 white/blue, 2 blue/red, 1 yellow/green), and a third wire (black) which grounds the coils.

The black/white wires provide 12 volts through the ignition relay, fuse 18 to the battery. The other wires are controlled by the PCM/ECM and work as a trigger to the individual coils. Black goes go ground point G101 which is a bolt on the intake manifold on the TB side.

If your not getting any spark at all on any of the plugs, check the fuse the relay and then the ground.

RedCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2017, 09:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. What I'm trying to do is install an aftermarket tach using a tach adapter (Autometer). Autometer says " it will require locating the power supply to the ignition coils and cutting the power supply prior to the power splitting between all of the coils." I *think* it's a blue wire found in the engine bay, in a bundle of wires running to the coils, but after making the necessary connections the tach reads low RPMs.

Either I've got the wrong wire, or the tach adapter will not work.
si_scott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2017, 11:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

RedCoupe just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Garage
Not familiar with the product, is this the instruction sheet? http://www.autometer.com/media/manual/2650-561X.pdf

If so it has to be the black/white wire since its common to all the coils and carries 12 volts. You will have follow that wire back from the coil connectors and find the place before the splices to the coil packs begin, that will require either removing the conduit covers and/or carefully peeling back the loom tape to expose the wires. An alternative is to intercept it from the underhood dash and relay box, its a blue wire (at some point it splices to the black/white wire) but I can't tell you which connector it is on I don't have a pin-out of all the connectors on that box.
RedCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2018, 09:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCoupe View Post
Not familiar with the product, is this the instruction sheet? Can't post links. Old link was here. (Jesus Christ...)

Yes, that is the instruction sheet.

If so it has to be the black/white wire since its common to all the coils and carries 12 volts. You will have follow that wire back from the coil connectors and find the place before the splices to the coil packs begin, that will require either removing the conduit covers and/or carefully peeling back the loom tape to expose the wires. An alternative is to intercept it from the underhood dash and relay box, its a blue wire (at some point it splices to the black/white wire) but I can't tell you which connector it is on I don't have a pin-out of all the connectors on that box.
I'm back to trying to get my tach working again. I tried a couple of blue wires under the hood, but neither worked.

I need to the find 12v+ coil power wire, somehow...
si_scott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2019, 08:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

SaminaCotzier has their car in neutral right now
nice information..
SaminaCotzier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 01:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

RoyBeverly has their car in neutral right now
Great information. . . .
RoyBeverly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in