Installing Steering wheel audio controls - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Civic Style > I.C.E., Electrical, Security, & Navigation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2007, 11:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

RBP LX just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Question Installing Steering wheel audio controls

Has anyone done this, is it even possible?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2007, 11:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
VIP Member

Civic Type Stock
wing_gundam is teh bbq kingwing_gundam is teh bbq kingwing_gundam is teh bbq kingwing_gundam is teh bbq kingwing_gundam is teh bbq kingwing_gundam is teh bbq kingwing_gundam is teh bbq kingwing_gundam is teh bbq kingwing_gundam is teh bbq kingwing_gundam is teh bbq kingwing_gundam is teh bbq king
Send a message via AIM to wing_gundam
It's possible, but I haven't done it, prob because I already have them

Old 03-04-2007, 07:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Do you know if it's just a matter of installing the module in the steering wheel (wiring already installed at factory) or would I have to run the wiring to the stereo as well?
RBP LX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2007, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

av911 sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicav911 sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicav911 sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicav911 sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicav911 sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicav911 sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicav911 sometimes day dreams about 8thcivic
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBP LX
Do you know if it's just a matter of installing the module in the steering wheel (wiring already installed at factory) or would I have to run the wiring to the stereo as well?
https://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showt...t=18873&page=3
av911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2007, 09:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the heads up, don't know how I missed that in my search.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

After reading the DIY in the thread mentioned above I am still a little confused. Has anyone else attempted this? Unfortunately the DIY is a cut and paste from another forum "HondaPartsDeals" and the poster "Avenger" has not attempted the mod, also the original writer of the how to "CivicMania" from the HOndaPartsDeals forum is unreachable. If anyone if familiar with this individual and knows a forum where they frequent please let me know.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

OK I have an update on this. I have been doing a lot of searching and reading and thanks to dpnvektor who has a link to electrical diagrams in the automatic climate control thread I think I have an answer. To complete the steering wheel audio control mod you need to purchase the control assembly 36770-SNA-A11 (2006) or 36770-SNA-A12 (2007). I don't think there is a difference between the two parts but they have different numbers. Next you need to install the 2 wires missing from vehicles without steering wheel audio controls. Basically you need to run 2 wires from the connector at the steering wheel to the connector at the audio unit. Here are some pictures of the connectors in question.

Steering Wheel Connector
Attachment 4597

Audio Unit Connector
Attachment 4598

The view of these connectors is from the back. So following the DIY posted in the link above you would need to remove the upper portion of the steering column shroud and the portion of the dash surrounding the audio unit/climate controls. Instead of purchasing the EX wiring harness and cutting/splicing wires together you only need to run the 2 wires shown from one connector to the other. This is all in theory for now as I haven't had the time to attempt this yet but I see no reason why it won't work. If anyone attempts this before me let me know how you make out.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing Steering wheel audio controls-steering-wheel-conector.jpg   Installing Steering wheel audio controls-audio-unit-connector.jpg  
Old 03-13-2007, 10:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

bridugcox just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Bump! I think he is on the right track, this mod, plus aftermarket headunit, and aftermarket steering control adaptor, we got factory steering audio control!
bridugcox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2007, 09:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

I would love to put this theory to the test but Canadian Honda dealers want a rediculous amount of money for the control switches, $125 up here compared to $50 in the US. Anyone want to buy a set of controls and ship them to me? I have tried all of the online dealers and there is no way to avoid all of the duties, taxes and brokerage fees involved with buying from them. However an individual could purchase them and ship them as a gift valued at less than $20, this would eliminate all of the fees involved with cross border shopping. I would be happy to pay for the part and shipping via paypal.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

kelrog just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
I'm hoping the wife will let me get this part and let me try this out on her 06 lx sedan. There shouldn't be a difference cause its a sedan right?

EDIT: Here is the more colored in diagrams: Link

EDIT: For those that don't feel like reading everything, heres the link to the DIY

Cheapest Harness I could find for the 06 4 door AT EX. 36770-SNA-A11 $47.92

Last edited by kelrog; 08-26-2007 at 08:53 AM.
kelrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2007, 11:21 AM   #11 (permalink)

I'm looking to do it on my 07 LX sedan. I have ordered the part and it is being shipped to my uncle in Florida. He is returning to Canada (he spends the winters there) at the end of the month so I will do the install and "how to" guide at that time. If you do it before me shoot me a PM or report back here.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

bridugcox just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Please post back here, as this would be a major upgrade for us LX/DXers
bridugcox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2007, 11:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
VIP Member

unplugged sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicunplugged sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicunplugged sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicunplugged sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicunplugged sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicunplugged sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicunplugged sometimes day dreams about 8thcivic
Send a message via AIM to unplugged
doesn't PAC sell something to use your factory audio controls?

2008 Honda Civic SI (stock)
2006 Honda Civic EX (sold)
unplugged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2007, 05:53 AM   #14 (permalink)

Normally those are ment to use factory audio controls, with aftermarket Head units.

The LX and DX model people, are left out of the Factory Steering Wheel Audio Controls for their Factory Stereo category, hence this thread topic. =]
Old 03-29-2007, 10:51 AM   #15 (permalink)

ct20 will be known by all on 8thcivic soon
any new info on this upgrade? this would an excellent upgrade if we don't have to replace the wiring harness...
ct20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2007, 11:53 AM   #16 (permalink)

I'm moving next week, and will be out of town next week. Hope there is some progress from RBP LX. Good Luck!
Old 03-29-2007, 06:37 PM   #17 (permalink)

I will be picking up the new audio/cruise controls on Sunday. I should start on this either Sunday or Monday. I don't think the procedure is complicated but a few things will have to be removed to do the job. Don't worry I will document the procedure very well and take lots of pictures.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:48 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I will be picking up the new audio/cruise controls on Sunday. I should start on this either Sunday or Monday. I don't think the procedure is complicated but a few things will have to be removed to do the job. Don't worry I will document the procedure very well and take lots of pictures.

Thank you, RBP LX...I look forward to your pics and install notes...I am ready to order the part as long as you dont' have to tear the car completely apart to do this upgrade...
Old 04-01-2007, 08:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

Well great news everyone, IT WORKS!!!!! I'm just in the process of cleaning up all my connections but I wanted to share the good news first. A complete how to will be done for tomorrow or Tuesday.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:40 AM   #20 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Well great news everyone, IT WORKS!!!!! I'm just in the process of cleaning up all my connections but I wanted to share the good news first. A complete how to will be done for tomorrow or Tuesday.
I am glad that the upgrade works and I know you are working on a DIY...but I just have a quick question....do you have to only order the one part? do have the specific part number? I would like to go ahead and get it on order so maybe I can install this weekend....where did you order yours from? how long did it take to arrive? Thanks....I appreciate all of your help...looking forward to making my steering wheel control work too....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in