8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Stereo issue, very weird

110K views 65 replies 42 participants last post by  Shadow3 
#1 ·
Hey guys and gals, Im having a bit of an issue with my stereo and wondered if anyone here has had the same thing happen to them. My stock stereo seems to have a mind of its own, changing from all the inputs back and forth for a while now and it only does it sometimes, its really annoying and would like to rectify the issue if possible. I seem to think it may be the Steering wheel switch assy for the audio?

#5 ·
The stereo changes its input by itself, like from Fm to Am to AUX to CD and then back and forth, all by itself its weird, does it when im standing still does it when i drive, when i turn the wheel and then i can go days without it happening, i hate it lol

#14 ·
Mine does the same thing as well as the display cuts out and it scans through radio stations as well. A buddy of mine and I pulled mine out today and found that the previous owner had spilled coke down into it. We cleaned up the circuit boards the best we could and put it all back in, it worked for a few mins then started cutting out again. I'm currently in the process of looking for a replacement radio now as well.

#15 ·
06 Si Same Issue

Hey guys, I guess I'm not the only one having these issues with my 06. Its doing everything what "Conechaser" had said with his car. I haven't taken it to the dealer because I'm on low budget right now and can't afford to pay for whatever they charge.

I've already changed the battery and alternator since its over due. I'm at 200+km already.

I wonder if we just replace the OEM unit with an aftermarket? But here's my next question...what happens if it acts up with the aftermarket unit? What could be happening to our circuit system?

- Ray

#16 ·
Hey guys, I guess I'm not the only one having these issues with my 06. Its doing everything what "Conechaser" had said with his car. I haven't taken it to the dealer because I'm on low budget right now and can't afford to pay for whatever they charge.

I've already changed the battery and alternator since its over due. I'm at 200+km already.

I wonder if we just replace the OEM unit with an aftermarket? But here's my next question...what happens if it acts up with the aftermarket unit? What could be happening to our circuit system?

- Ray
Well you know the aftermarket HU in most cases wouldn't be the issue so its something that you hooked up to the HU.

#19 ·
I am having this same issue as well as having flaky radio backlights. I think the backlight issue started after having the emergency brake cable replaced because they had to pull up all the center console pieces and probably messed up some wires. The other issue just started a day or so ago. Going to pull it all apart in a few weeks after I move and check out the wires.

#20 ·
Anybody solve this issue yet? I have the same problems
-radio changes inputs randomly
-stereo pops and shuts off randomly
-sometimes turning on/off highbeams changes radio inputS
-today using steering wheel volume control changed my radio stations.
Had battery tested and everything comes back good. Amps are a little low but it has been really cold here tthe past few weeks. Dont want to drop 100bucks on a battery and then replace headunit if there's some in underlying problem

06 Honda civic si

#21 ·
Just got my battery changed today. Old battery had a manufactured in 07 sticker on it. It was in pretty rough shape. There was also quite a bit of battery acid on it. Could be an alternator problem. I will keep an eye on it, and see if I have continued problems.

#24 ·
Hey guys, it's really can't be a battery or alternator issue. If they were bad you would have bigger problems than your radio acting up.

Someone verified that it was not the steering wheel controls as they have the same problem without these controls. I would almost guarantee a new head unit would fix it. It probably over heated and components on the circuit board lifted or broke down.

I have ripped the stereo system apart and there is nothing else that sends those types of signals to the head unit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#26 ·
my stock usb for my 09 si went dead and the radio say please see instruction manual
but I already putting in a new head unit.
its the radio water might have gotten into the buttons into the circuit boards.
if your brave enough you can pull the radio out, then behind it you can unscrew it from the dash and you have access to the buttons, if you plan to do this look for water residue or something then clean it out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.