2007 Honda Civic partially submerged in a ditch - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Honda Civic Do It Yourself Articles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2019, 11:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Tigerbait5656 has their car in neutral right now
2007 Honda Civic partially submerged in a ditch

Two days ago I was involved in an accident on the interstate. I was traveling around 70 mph when I hit a large pocket of water and hydro-planed into a concrete barrier, blowing my driver front tire, then slide across the interstate before coming to rest in a a ditch. The water level reached the bottom of my seat cushion. It took about an hour before a tow truck was able to pull out my 2007 Honda Civic.

After the accident, I immediately exited the vehicle and left the engine running and the lights on... I know dumb mistake, I just wasn't thinking clearly at the time.
Once the car was on the tow truck, all the lights were still working. I shut them off and took the key out of the ignition. It took 2 days before I was able to recover the car and bring it home. As soon as I got it home I disconnected the battery, removed all the seats, center console, and stripped the carpet down to the metal. I checked the oil and transmission fluid and luckily didn't see any signs of water contamination, however the air intake filter was pretty damp.

My issue is I have no power what so ever. My keyless entry remote didn't work and when I stuck the key in the ignition and turned it to accessory mode, no lights came on.

Any idea what I should troubleshoot or check/change first; fuses, relays, ECU, SRS module?

The vehicle is my commuter car for work which I paid around 5 grand for about a year ago. Is it even worth fixing or should I just cut my losses and shop around for another commuter car?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2019, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Ed
EdNaviEx just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
air filter was wet. Not good. You have 2 main issues you have to address. First being getting power. I'm sure you checked the battery and it's connections, even then you aren't getting anything. Even you manage to get power, to be safe, you should drain the ATF and engine (I don't trust a very wet air filter) to be 100% sure you have no water in there.

Your first issue sounds ominous. Hate to say, but I would probably cut your losses. Have a mechanic look at it. Having water up to your seat cushion doesn't sound bad, but don't forget you have airbag sensors and such at that level.

Wish you luck in whatever you decide to do, hopefully I'm wrong, but that is how normally these things are played out (car being totalled).

EdNaviEx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2019, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

jnissen just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Main power relay may not be firing up. If that isnít coming on ( Listen for click) then may be more fundamental. Starter likely logged and could be dozens of other possibilities. Was it running when out of ditch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jnissen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in