DIY - LX Sedan Remote Trunk Release Upgrade - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Honda Civic Do It Yourself Articles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2019, 11:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

FlowMix has their car in neutral right now
DIY - LX Sedan Remote Trunk Release Upgrade

Hiya guys, just did this to my civic. I've got an 08 LX Sedan. Decided to do a write up with pics for anyone that's interested in doing it (Not sure if this will work on an LX coupe tho). It's actually quite simple, the feature itself is already in the car. There are just a few things that need to be done in order for it to be used.

Things you'll need to buy:
- Blank Key w/4 Button Remote - 35111-SVA-306
- EX/Si Sedan Powered Trunk Release Mechanism - 74851-SNA-A22
- Multimeter (If you don't already have one)

There are a few other bits you'll need as well but those will be provided by your current trunk release mechanism. Don't worry, you'll see what I mean.

I'd suggest holding off from buying the trunk release mechanism until you get through this first bit right here, just to make sure it's possible for your car.

Once you get your key cut and programmed hold down the trunk release button to see if the light on the remote will blink. If it does then it means the signal is being received by your car. Next remove the Rear Left Bolster to get access to the wiring harness behind it. Unplug the left side of the connector and let it hang. We'll get to that in a minute.

This bit below will determine whether or not you continue with the project.

Get your multimeter and test pin 4 on the connector that runs to the front of the car by using the trunk release button You're looking for a pulse that activates ever time you use the trunk release button then drops back to 0. If this is not the case with pin 4 then test all the other pins as well. If none of the pins give you a pulse of current then your car isn't equipped with the feature already.

Once you've confirmed which pin is receiving the power check the other connector that was left dangling, there should be a blank spot in slot 4 instead of a pin. Flip this connector around and take a look at pin 12. Remove that pin and put it in slot 4. For me this pin is the one that is meant to be used for the trunk release mechanism.

Now to work on the trunk. Pop your trunk and remove the 4 screw in clips that run along the top of the trunk lid insulator if you have one. You don't need to take off the whole thing, just leave the bottom 4 clips and bend the insulator slightly downwards. If it's easier for you to remove it completely feel free to do so. From here locate the key hole in the trunk. You'll see there is a connector attached to it. That there is the connector that is meant to connect to the Powered Trunk Release Mechanism. Whatever it's plugged into is a blank, doesn't do anything other than hold the connector in place so it isn't dangling around. Unplug this connector and take a look at it, there are only 2 pins connected to this but there are 3 slots.

From here remove the manual trunk release mechanism and disconnect the connector running from it. You've probably noticed that your current mechanism has a male connector attached to it and that the new powered mechanism has a female port on it. This is ok, we'll be changing that. The wires running to your current mechanism are connected to a sensor in the latch that tells the car the trunk is open. (This is what causes the dash to indicate the trunk is open and also what tells the cargo light in the trunk to turn on when the trunk is open).

After this, remove the pins attached to the connector that connected to the sensor in your old mechanism. These pins will be transferred over to the 3 slot connector that's left dangling so that you can get the functionality of the sensor back. There are 4 wires that need to connect to the mechanism in order for everything to work, but only 3 slots on the connector. This is where some works comes in. Take your old mechanism and cut the wires hanging out from it that are connected to it's sensor. You'll use these 2 wires as extensions to reach the connector. From here remove all the pins from the connector. Connect the 2 grounds together and put this pin in the middle slot. The green wire for the motor that was already connected to blank connector will go in the left slot and the green wire that was extended will go in the right slot. Remove that rivet clip holding down the wiring harness to allow for some slack so the connector reaches the mechanism when you're ready to install. We're not done yet though.

The sensor itself also needs to be changed in order for you to get the functionality back because the sensor in the EX/Si latch and the sensor in your old latch are slightly different. So remove your sensor from the old latch, and replace your new sensor with it. From here install your new powered mechanism and connect the connector. You should now have remote trunk release and your trunk sensor should also be working.

Finished product, looks pretty good If I do say so myself. Excuse how nasty my mechanism is. I popped off the cover housing the motor so I can understand what each pin was supposed to connect to in order for everything to work then sloppily glued it back on with some strong glue. You won't have to do that though.

Sorry I couldn't go into more detail, had already done this by the time I decided to do the write up so I didn't get a list of tools needed or more pictures that explained how to remove pins and etc. It's really not that difficult, don't let this DIY fool you! If you're interested in getting remote trunk release for your LX sedan give it a shot!

Last edited by FlowMix; 04-22-2019 at 01:17 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2019, 05:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

etraud just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Wow, thanks a lot for doing and sharing this.. I've been wondering if this was possible... I definitely will try it.

Thanks again for sharing.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

etraud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2019, 02:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

raybees has their car in neutral right now
Just what I was looking for! I wish I had gotten an EX so it already came with all the goods
raybees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in