8th or 9th gen? - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Welcome > Garage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2018, 09:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

captainpolska just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Question 8th or 9th gen?

My current car a 2004 Civic SI is nearing 250k miles and I am going to be in market soon to upgrade to a newer SI that is a sedan for family and space reasons. I will probably have in the neighborhood of 20k to spend and I need input if I should buy a 8th gen SI or look for newer 9th gen? I need some input from you guys to see if it is worth spending the extra money on the newer car as I can't seem to make up my mind. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2018, 01:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

unscrewednunu just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpolska View Post
My current car a 2004 Civic SI is nearing 250k miles and I am going to be in market soon to upgrade to a newer SI that is a sedan for family and space reasons. I will probably have in the neighborhood of 20k to spend and I need input if I should buy a 8th gen SI or look for newer 9th gen? I need some input from you guys to see if it is worth spending the extra money on the newer car as I can't seem to make up my mind. Thanks!
I mean it's 2018 now, might as well get a 9th gen so you have a newer car, plus you have a good amount of money to spend in your budget

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

unscrewednunu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2018, 01:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

MisterBek has their car in neutral right now
If you can't make up your mind I've got to ask why you are having trouble. Is there something about the 9th gen you believe would be better? If not it seems like saving money and going 8th is a pretty obvious choice.

Now for my actual opinion: I freaking love my k20 powered 8th gen. I have driven k24 powered tsx and 2012 SI both and something was missing, at least for me. I gave the 8th gen a shot because I loved the rsx-s' (3 of them) that I had driven and needed the four doors. I was honestly in love before I even made it off the lot and it's only gotten worse. So I would recommend driving both generations to see what fits. You may not expect them to be different but I think you will be surprised
MisterBek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2018, 02:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

captainpolska just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBek View Post
If you can't make up your mind I've got to ask why you are having trouble. Is there something about the 9th gen you believe would be better? If not it seems like saving money and going 8th is a pretty obvious choice.

Now for my actual opinion: I freaking love my k20 powered 8th gen. I have driven k24 powered tsx and 2012 SI both and something was missing, at least for me. I gave the 8th gen a shot because I loved the rsx-s' (3 of them) that I had driven and needed the four doors. I was honestly in love before I even made it off the lot and it's only gotten worse. So I would recommend driving both generations to see what fits. You may not expect them to be different but I think you will be surprised
I have a soft spot for the styling of the 8th. For me the 8th gen sedan looks better. I suppose I need to drive them both in the same day and see what I like better. The only downfall I see is that finding a lower mileage 8th gen would not be as easy as the 9th gen. I really want a good daily that has some more creature comforts that my 04 SI is missing.
captainpolska is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2018, 06:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

MisterBek has their car in neutral right now
Yeah, that's no lie. Once I decided to look for an 8th gen I spent 3 months waiting for something with low enough miles to satisfy both me and the wife. I could have had any number of cars in black or with 150k+ on the clock for a lot less than I spent, but she was dead set against anything over 80k and I won't buy another black car so i probably paid more than I should have. There are plenty of low mileage ones out there if you're patient though, I just wish it was easier to know how a car was treated other than miles. I feel like I've gotten really fortunate with mine.

Good luck deciding! I really think you should just drive both and see what you like.
MisterBek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2018, 08:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

John
336 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
I also waited maybe 6 months before purchasing my used 2011 and late 2015 with only 32,000 miles. If I were you and I wasn't in a hurry I would stay patient and be open to buying either model when you see a good deal
336 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2018, 08:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Jay Keller
W8UP4ME has their car in neutral right now
I waited 2 months to find my low mileage, no-rust body 2011 FA5. I went 2011 because it was the last year they had the k20 before going k24z7.
W8UP4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2018, 08:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

John
336 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
yeah I definitely always encourage people not to buy the first model year of a vehicle because it seems like it's always subject to more problems and recalls
336 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2018, 09:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

hbjai just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
I like the 8th gen more, because of the styling of the 8th gen looks more sleek, and more affordable used parts in the market.
hbjai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2018, 12:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sonic Screwdriver just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
I recommend test driving both cars to see which generation you prefer, because there are pros and cons to both.

IMO, the 8th Gen wins on handling, visibility for the driver (more window area), and cleaner styling. The 9th Gen wins on better crash safety, slightly higher fuel economy, and ride quality.
Sonic Screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2018, 10:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

Spameggsandrice has their car in neutral right now
I personally like the 8th Gen a lot better
Spameggsandrice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2018, 10:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

freestyledin has their car in neutral right now
I also like 8th gen more. It also seems that people here buy 8th gen more than 9th gen.
freestyledin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2018, 01:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

rori ( f*ck your form ) <3
Ayodog lives their life a quarter mile at a timeAyodog lives their life a quarter mile at a timeAyodog lives their life a quarter mile at a timeAyodog lives their life a quarter mile at a timeAyodog lives their life a quarter mile at a time
9th gen body is more rigid and allows for better lap times from what I have seen. This is in speaking about a relatively lightly tuned (bolt ons / suspension / tires) type car.

On the other hand, 8thgens have larger support in the aftermarket and of course cost much less.
Ayodog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2018, 04:47 AM   #14 (permalink)

evenlewis has their car in neutral right now
It cost much less.
evenlewis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2018, 08:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

Guthrie has their car in neutral right now
Not sure if you're still shopping, but I prefer the higher reving k20 vs the k24. Also, I'm not sure if you'd prefer the double wish bone rear suspension in the 8th gen or the multi link in the 9th. Both are rigid, light, and nimble. Preferred style is up to your own taste. I favor the interior/body on the 8th gen, not sure why just was never crazy about the 9th gen's looks.
Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2018, 12:34 AM   #16 (permalink)

OMGboba just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
May be biased, but would go 8th gen if you can find a low mileage, reliable one. GL
OMGboba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2019, 04:17 PM   #17 (permalink)

GuruFA5 has their car in neutral right now
You will definitely get more biased answers here. I mean, you're on the 8th gen forum lol I would post the same question on the 9th gen forum to see.
GuruFA5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in