Is the dealership giving me the "run around"? - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Welcome > Garage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2015, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Avner just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Is the dealership giving me the "run around"?

I'm having problems with my 3d gear and I have a Honda 100k warranty. I called my closest dealership and the service guy said they can take a look at it, but I'm responsible for all incurred costs if the Honda inspector denies the claim. His words, " if we pull the tranny out and take things apart, you have to pay the bill if the inspector denies the claim.

Can't the dealership determine if the synchros is bad or if anything else would cause it without going into the tranny? Should I call corporate?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2015, 09:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

mikey82 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Did they have a tech replicate the problem first? If anything they should charge you for diagnostic first and even that should be covered IF they can replicate your issue. If they cant then they should only really charge you diagnostic time.

Its sounds like they dont even want to look at you car. Try another dealer and see what they say?

mikey82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2015, 08:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey82 View Post
Did they have a tech replicate the problem first? If anything they should charge you for diagnostic first and even that should be covered IF they can replicate your issue. If they cant then they should only really charge you diagnostic time.

Its sounds like they dont even want to look at you car. Try another dealer and see what they say?
Yea, it seemed like this guy couldn't be bothered with me. I too, think that they should at least have a tech take a test drive, no charge. I'm gonna ask to speak with the service manager and I will also call another dealer about the issue.
Avner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2015, 03:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Chris
TheIncident88 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avner View Post
I too, think that they should at least have a tech take a test drive, no charge.
Keep in mind how techs are paid. Time spent riding around with you is usually time they don't get paid for if there is no charge or no warranty claim.

Also know that a lot of people abuse and/or neglect their cars and then try to claim warranty coverage. Dealer is covering their ass.
TheIncident88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2015, 06:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

atistang just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
if I were you I would

- make sure you have honda MTF in the transmission
- if you have any short throw, aftermarket shift cables, solid bushing, etc... replace with stock parts

even flashpro, I would flash to stock and remove any mods. This will decrease your chances of them denying the claim.

also like mentioned make sure you get them to replicate the problem and diagnose it themselves. Let them determine what needs done, if they say its your synchro and rip into it to find the synchro is fine... thats not your problem, its their loss of time
atistang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2015, 11:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIncident88 View Post
Keep in mind how techs are paid. Time spent riding around with you is usually time they don't get paid for if there is no charge or no warranty claim.

Also know that a lot of people abuse and/or neglect their cars and then try to claim warranty coverage. Dealer is covering their ass.
I might be ignorant on the subject, do techs not get an hourly rate?

A two minute drive could determine if there is a need for further investigation. As for abuse, I'm not even sure how a dealership could prove abuse. Plus the 3d gear problem are well known by Honda, so this should not be subject to abuse allegations.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atistang View Post
if I were you I would

- make sure you have honda MTF in the transmission
- if you have any short throw, aftermarket shift cables, solid bushing, etc... replace with stock parts

even flashpro, I would flash to stock and remove any mods. This will decrease your chances of them denying the claim.

also like mentioned make sure you get them to replicate the problem and diagnose it themselves. Let them determine what needs done, if they say its your synchro and rip into it to find the synchro is fine... thats not your problem, its their loss of time
The car is bone stock. I do have an ex seat in it. I have the si seat, but have the ex in there for comfort. I don't think this should be an issue. I bought it in May as a certified pre owned from Honda. This is my 6th Honda and if this goes unresolved, this will be my last one.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Chris
TheIncident88 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Garage
Quote:
I might be ignorant on the subject, do techs not get an hourly rate?

A two minute drive could determine if there is a need for further investigation. As for abuse, I'm not even sure how a dealership could prove abuse. Plus the 3d gear problem are well known by Honda, so this should not be subject to abuse allegations.
Techs usually get paid "flat rate" which is X dollars per billable hour of work completed.

Proving abuse may or may not be difficult depending on how parts are worn/damaged. As well documented as the 3rd gear issue is, so too are the driving habits of the stereotypical Si owner.

You can try calling corporate yourself, but I've heard of it being far more effective to have a service manager on your team to make the call. Don't expect them to agree to pay for anything without knowing for certain what caused the problem. You can try a few different dealers, but IMO what you are experiencing is pretty standard, and would be no different with most other dealers or car brands.
TheIncident88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2015, 05:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Sugar Shane just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Garage
Quote:
I'm having problems with my 3d gear and I have a Honda 100k warranty. I called my closest dealership and the service guy said they can take a look at it, but I'm responsible for all incurred costs if the Honda inspector denies the claim. His words, " if we pull the tranny out and take things apart, you have to pay the bill if the inspector denies the claim.

Can't the dealership determine if the synchros is bad or if anything else would cause it without going into the tranny? Should I call corporate?
Speaking from experience (several years in various service departments), the person you spoke to is giving you an honest answer. You may be experiencing what seems like the 3rd gear synchro failing. The service department may be able to duplicate it. It may seem like there could be no other possible cause for the symptom your car is experiencing. BUT, Honda's warranty procedure requires the dealership to remove and disassemble the transmission to inspect the synchros for damage. In cases where a major component replacement is required, the normal warranty procedure will not be followed, because if Honda denies the dealer's warranty claim, they're on the hook for a $3000-4000 repair.

Up to a certain dollar amount, warranty claims do not require pre-approval, but in this case, I'm sure it will. So, the dealership is not giving you the run-around; they're just being smart and advising you up front that there is the possibility that you'll be responsible for the cost of teardown and replacement if your warranty claim is not approved.
Sugar Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2015, 06:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Looked up my state laws and found that I still had my "lemon law" warranty. I called the dealership where I bought it from and with no resistance, they said to drop it off. I will update when I know anything new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in