E85 = Awesomeness - Page 40 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Forced Induction And Nitrous

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2016, 06:18 PM   #781 (permalink)

MRBOOST_915 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Not really sure about saves engine on a bad tune, but if we all converted our cars to e85 I'm pretty sure it would benefit the earth.

MRBOOST_915 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2016, 12:20 AM   #782 (permalink)

ggremling11 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlxyGry06Si View Post
but with e85 you dont get quite the same gas mileage. i believe its 20% worse but the power you can extract is enormous and like the op showed. Cheap ass F.
20-25% worse. Whenever I get it in my suburban I do the math. Can my 8th gen civic use e85?

ggremling11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2016, 02:09 AM   #783 (permalink)

MRBOOST_915 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
I'm running e85 as we speak love it
MRBOOST_915 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2018, 11:39 AM   #784 (permalink)

SoSoFD2 has their car in neutral right now
Anyone that has successfully installed a Brazilian sending unit or 9th gen si sending unit? It's so hard to get factual info from here with the many pages.

Thanks!
SoSoFD2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 10:19 AM   #785 (permalink)

ravotex just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Hi everyone! Just wanted to share my experiences running e85 so far.

I got a quantum ethanol compatible fuel pump and hacked up my fuel cage to bypass the internal regulator, running an external FPR that sits in the engine bay (supported by the stiffness of the hoses). I reused the stock feed line and ran a hose back as a return, and drilled out the top of the fuel cage for the bulkhead fitting. Seemed to work okay, and haven't had any fuel delivery problems yet.

I'm using a zeitronix ECA ran into the ECT2 input of the ECU, which isn't quite the best choice because there's an internal pullup resistor on the signal and the ECA output can quite drive the signal all the way to ground. It works out okay because the minimum it can successfully output to the ECU is ~15% ethanol, which ends up being a small difference in fueling compared to E10 which is within acceptable margins considering weather and etc.

I obviously needed to re-tune the base gasoline fueling to account for the FPR, which i have hooked up to the intake manifold (running KW SC).

I've been running E73 since January of this year and so far haven't had fuel sender issues. Highway mileage is comparable to gasoline, but city mileage...oof, it's like driving a freakin suburban.

No issues with the fuel sender unit yet despite not touching it at all. I am either lucky or just haven't waited long enough. I ended up with some small fuel tank vapor leak DCTs at first which never caused a CEL (but always got told to check my fuel cap). I assumed this was due to the nature of the external FPR which isn't designed to hold pressure without a pump running. Lately though I have been getting gross tank vapor leak CELs and I have yet to investigate. Possibly the nut holding the return fitting has gotten loose with time (it has seen some track time) or possibly some of the OEM components for the evap system are dying. Hopefully it is just the dang bulkhead fitting nut and I can fix it by trying harder. Anyone else have EVAP issues yet?

Last edited by ravotex; 04-18-2019 at 10:24 AM.
ravotex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 12:09 PM   #786 (permalink)

Andrew
volvo9 lives their life a quarter mile at a timevolvo9 lives their life a quarter mile at a timevolvo9 lives their life a quarter mile at a timevolvo9 lives their life a quarter mile at a timevolvo9 lives their life a quarter mile at a timevolvo9 lives their life a quarter mile at a time
Send a message via AIM to volvo9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravotex View Post
Hi everyone! Just wanted to share my experiences running e85 so far.

I got a quantum ethanol compatible fuel pump and hacked up my fuel cage to bypass the internal regulator, running an external FPR that sits in the engine bay (supported by the stiffness of the hoses). I reused the stock feed line and ran a hose back as a return, and drilled out the top of the fuel cage for the bulkhead fitting. Seemed to work okay, and haven't had any fuel delivery problems yet.

I'm using a zeitronix ECA ran into the ECT2 input of the ECU, which isn't quite the best choice because there's an internal pullup resistor on the signal and the ECA output can quite drive the signal all the way to ground. It works out okay because the minimum it can successfully output to the ECU is ~15% ethanol, which ends up being a small difference in fueling compared to E10 which is within acceptable margins considering weather and etc.

I obviously needed to re-tune the base gasoline fueling to account for the FPR, which i have hooked up to the intake manifold (running KW SC).

I've been running E73 since January of this year and so far haven't had fuel sender issues. Highway mileage is comparable to gasoline, but city mileage...oof, it's like driving a freakin suburban.

No issues with the fuel sender unit yet despite not touching it at all. I am either lucky or just haven't waited long enough. I ended up with some small fuel tank vapor leak DCTs at first which never caused a CEL (but always got told to check my fuel cap). I assumed this was due to the nature of the external FPR which isn't designed to hold pressure without a pump running. Lately though I have been getting gross tank vapor leak CELs and I have yet to investigate. Possibly the nut holding the return fitting has gotten loose with time (it has seen some track time) or possibly some of the OEM components for the evap system are dying. Hopefully it is just the dang bulkhead fitting nut and I can fix it by trying harder. Anyone else have EVAP issues yet?
I didn't tighten my bulkhead nut tight enough when I did my fuel sender the first time. Doing that fastener by screwdriver and hammer I just needed a few more taps.

Have you had your tank full yet? The gaughe contact degrades by physical contact (and resulting electrolysis) with high e content. I redid my gauge last summer and coatex it with a fuel tank sealant (except for the contacts) and it has been good for daily driving on e85. I've even put 120k miles of e85 driving on the stock fuel pump with no issues.

Either your ethanol content is rigjt at the sweet spot for slow / no damage, or you haven't been full enough for long enough.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
volvo9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 05:29 PM   #787 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo9 View Post
Have you had your tank full yet? The gaughe contact degrades by physical contact (and resulting electrolysis) with high e content. I redid my gauge last summer and coatex it with a fuel tank sealant (except for the contacts) and it has been good for daily driving on e85. I've even put 120k miles of e85 driving on the stock fuel pump with no issues.
Yeah, I have gone through maybe a tank every two weeks and always fill it till the pump shuts off. I will likely need to mentally prepare for the inevitable corrosion issue. between this mod and messing with the bike i am getting REAL sick of getting gasoline on my hands.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:46 AM   #788 (permalink)

...and like clockwork, the sender started taking a **** right after this last fill. I'll look into the 9th gen sender at some point and let you all know what's up with that.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:04 PM   #789 (permalink)

0720Steve shifts at 12500 rpm0720Steve shifts at 12500 rpm0720Steve shifts at 12500 rpm0720Steve shifts at 12500 rpm0720Steve shifts at 12500 rpm0720Steve shifts at 12500 rpm0720Steve shifts at 12500 rpm0720Steve shifts at 12500 rpm0720Steve shifts at 12500 rpm0720Steve shifts at 12500 rpm0720Steve shifts at 12500 rpm
subscribed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
0720Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in