step by step lowering an si 06 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Honda Civic Do It Yourself Articles > DIY Honda Civic Suspension

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2006, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

silverciv06 likes to double clutchsilverciv06 likes to double clutchsilverciv06 likes to double clutch
step by step lowering an si 06

start with taking this cover off!

next just loosen these nuts on the top of the strut assembly, do not take them all the way off!

next jack the car up and take the wheel off. this clamp is for the brake fluid line. loosen this assembly and let the line just hang.

now take these two bolts out that hold the strut assembly on to the bracket. these will be a little difficult if you are not using air tools. there should be little or no tension on the bolts they should slide right out.

next manuever the strut assembly around you axle so that it is not touching anything else especially your brake line. and then take the nuts off of the topside assembly and drop the spring and strut out.

if you do not have a spring compressor do not attempt this job. any local autoparts store will have a spring compressor that you can rent for like 40 dollars. clamp on the spring compressor and wrench them down evenly at 5 turns on one and 5 turns on the other and repeat the cycle until the spring is no longer touching the top of the perch pad. (which is the rubber peice that the spring is sitting on.

next take an allen wrench and hold while you loosen the nut on the top of the strut assembly. double check to see if there is any tension on the spring because if there is then this top cover peice will shoot off and that is dangerous. tighten the spring compressor more if needed. once the top nut is off you can slide the top peice off and take the spring off of the strut. pay close attention to how the factory spring sits in the holder and install the new spring the exact same way.

the new spring is shorter so you will not need the spring compressor to put the new springs back on. then you just put everything back on carefully and tighten in the reverse order that you loosened. that takes care of the front.

for the rear start by jacking the car up and taking off the wheel. take the lower shock absorber bolt out and set it aside.

now take the rear sway bar bottom connector link off, this requires another jack to jack up the rotor and lower control arm up until there is no tension on the sway bar link.

take off the brake line assembly so there is enough slack when you lower the second jack.

last take this bolt out and push down on the rotor and the spring should slide right out. thats it i hope you guys dont have any trouble with this it is very easy. and if you have questions just ask. these are tein s tech springs cost was 200 dollars and the ride quality is awesome. this car rides great now and will take corners like a champ. happy wrenching.

final product

volvo s80 peice of junk. my girlfreinds car. currently working on it more than my si. but she jusr purchased a new acura tl. so the work is over.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2006, 06:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

FG*SQUAD #87
Ep3racer954 just put it into 4th gear on 8thcivicEp3racer954 just put it into 4th gear on 8thcivicEp3racer954 just put it into 4th gear on 8thcivicEp3racer954 just put it into 4th gear on 8thcivicEp3racer954 just put it into 4th gear on 8thcivicEp3racer954 just put it into 4th gear on 8thcivic
Send a message via AIM to Ep3racer954
welcome to 8thcivic, awesome write up!

Ep3racer954 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2006, 06:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Arbitor of Discord
Janizary shifts at 12500 rpmJanizary shifts at 12500 rpmJanizary shifts at 12500 rpmJanizary shifts at 12500 rpmJanizary shifts at 12500 rpmJanizary shifts at 12500 rpmJanizary shifts at 12500 rpmJanizary shifts at 12500 rpmJanizary shifts at 12500 rpmJanizary shifts at 12500 rpmJanizary shifts at 12500 rpm
Sticky this???
Janizary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2006, 07:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

8thcivic.com member #15
2fast4u2 likez to fill up with red trolley2fast4u2 likez to fill up with red trolley2fast4u2 likez to fill up with red trolley2fast4u2 likez to fill up with red trolley2fast4u2 likez to fill up with red trolley2fast4u2 likez to fill up with red trolley2fast4u2 likez to fill up with red trolley2fast4u2 likez to fill up with red trolley2fast4u2 likez to fill up with red trolley2fast4u2 likez to fill up with red trolley2fast4u2 likez to fill up with red trolley
Awesome first post!! Welcome to the site. Thanks for the super write-up and pics!

Stickied and moved to the suspension and brake forum
2fast4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2006, 07:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

skittleslegend has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via Yahoo to skittleslegend
Not a bad way to intro yourself. Welcome to 8thcivic and great write up.
skittleslegend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2006, 07:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

BantamSLK just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Send a message via AIM to BantamSLK
Wow, awesome post! Thanks for the DIY.
BantamSLK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2006, 11:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crazy Yellow Puppet

Back and Forth Forever
CameronJr9 likez to fill up with red trolleyCameronJr9 likez to fill up with red trolleyCameronJr9 likez to fill up with red trolleyCameronJr9 likez to fill up with red trolleyCameronJr9 likez to fill up with red trolleyCameronJr9 likez to fill up with red trolleyCameronJr9 likez to fill up with red trolleyCameronJr9 likez to fill up with red trolleyCameronJr9 likez to fill up with red trolleyCameronJr9 likez to fill up with red trolleyCameronJr9 likez to fill up with red trolley
Thanks for the great DIY! Someone after my own heart! Haha!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CameronJr9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2006, 12:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

larryd likes to double clutchlarryd likes to double clutchlarryd likes to double clutch
Send a message via AIM to larryd
I like the houses in that neighborhood, I wish they built houses like that here for sale.
larryd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2006, 02:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

corean13oi just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
wow...thnx for the realli good write up with all the pics...u juss saved me 85 bucks....
corean13oi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2006, 02:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

shawn-o just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicshawn-o just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicshawn-o just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicshawn-o just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicshawn-o just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicshawn-o just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicshawn-o just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicshawn-o just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicshawn-o just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivic
Send a message via MSN to shawn-o
very good writeup- pics always help.

hows the ride with the tein's?
shawn-o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2006, 11:41 AM   #11 (permalink)

silverciv06 likes to double clutchsilverciv06 likes to double clutchsilverciv06 likes to double clutch
the ride is great, a little bouncy on the highway but very nice ride overall. it has settled another inch since the pic was posted and looks very nice now. the car handles 100% better now.
silverciv06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2006, 04:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Bsresponsive1 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Send a message via AIM to Bsresponsive1 Send a message via MSN to Bsresponsive1
Noob question:

How long will the stock shocks/struts last using these springs?
Bsresponsive1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2006, 04:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

well i have lowered my past three vehicles. on all of the past applications i got a very long life out of the stock shocks/struts. i do not know how long the stock ones will last on this si application but i know that when i talked with kyb which makes shocks/struts they said that they will have their application of shorter ones for lowered vehicles soon. so for now i am just riding it out. hopefully i see a long life on these stock ones also.
silverciv06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2006, 12:46 AM   #14 (permalink)

Thomas Welch
thomasorallye will be known by all on 8thcivic soon
Question

i know very little about suspension, so do you have to adjust how the tire sits at all? will it tilt is what im asking....ive never done or considered doing this before
thomasorallye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2006, 12:52 AM   #15 (permalink)

dtexan lives their life a quarter mile at a timedtexan lives their life a quarter mile at a timedtexan lives their life a quarter mile at a timedtexan lives their life a quarter mile at a timedtexan lives their life a quarter mile at a time
What your talking about is camber you cant adjust it in stock form, but you can purchase a camber kit and manually adjust each wheel
dtexan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2006, 08:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

sbmon just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Just a heads up the FRONT coils labeling for left and right is mislabeled on the tein stechs. The rotation of the coil on the stechs needs to be the same as the rotation of the oem coils. Tein's front left coil has the letter L in the part number this coil goes on the front right corner (passenger side of vehicle). I called Teins tech support about this Friday before I began my installation and they confirmed that the coils were indeed mislabeled. You can see from Silverciv06 pictures that he picked up on this and put the coil labeled with the L on the right side of the vehicle, but I did notice that his front bump stops were not cut as per manufacturers recomendation. After my install the si looks great no more unsightly (imo) fender wheel gap, and the ride is not much stiffer. Unfortunately though from the looks of the excessive negative camber after the lowering it looks unacceptable to me as far as tire wear will be concerned, so I will be getting either a comptech or sps rear camber kit in the near future, people here may say it is not needed (and this excess negative camber give better handling but...) with this semi mild 1.5 inch drop but to me I expect more than 15k out of a set of tires.
shawn
sbmon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2006, 02:14 AM   #17 (permalink)

Jayson
kicker_jace likes to double clutchkicker_jace likes to double clutchkicker_jace likes to double clutchkicker_jace likes to double clutch
Send a message via AIM to kicker_jace
do u have to re-align the suspension after puttin in the springs? n do u have to fix the camber??? tnx
kicker_jace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2006, 05:34 AM   #18 (permalink)

sbmon just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
As I said above yes I think you will want a camber kit with a 1.5" drop or more. An alignment is highly recomended after any suspension changes also.
You don't have to do these things but if you don't you will probably be on a first name basis with the guys at the tire shop.
sbmon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2006, 07:11 PM   #19 (permalink)

bigbizznass just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
I just bought some eibach sportline's and was debating on wether or not to cut the bump stop like it says to in the instructions. I know in the step by step, they didn't, so i was wondering is it completly necessary if im not going to be whipping around a 90* turn at 75mph.
bigbizznass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2006, 03:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
STIG: a tamed race driver

Jrfish007 just put it into 2nd gear on 8thcivicJrfish007 just put it into 2nd gear on 8thcivic
Very nice, great pictures!

Added to the DIY index!

Jrfish007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in