Progress Rear Sway Bar DIY!!! - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Honda Civic Do It Yourself Articles > DIY Honda Civic Suspension

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2007, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Joshua Lockwood
Excelerate sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicExcelerate sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicExcelerate sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicExcelerate sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicExcelerate sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicExcelerate sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicExcelerate sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicExcelerate sometimes day dreams about 8thcivic
Send a message via AIM to Excelerate
Progress Rear Sway Bar DIY!!!

This is the first of a series of Do It Yourself threads for aftermarket parts on the 8th generation Civic Si. My company, Excelerate LLC, nor I, Joshua Lockwood, represent that any of the information forthwith is all inclusive or 100% accurate, although we will strive to be as accurate as possible. Proceed at your own risk and your own liability.

This is a DIY thread for the Progress RSB for the 8th generation Civic. This bar will fit all 06+ Civics but these instructions are for the Si (FG2, FA5). You can purchase this bar from us for $155 shipped to the continental US.

See here for pricing: Progress Sway Bar Special!!! - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

Parts needed:

Progress RSB
12MM Socket
3/8" Ratchet
14MM wrench
5MM Allen Key

1. Raise the rear of the vehicle, and support it with safety stands in the proper locations. I had a lift but you will probably be using jack stands.

This is where the rear sway bar is located.

2. On both sides (pass and driver) remove the two 8X1.25MM bolts with a 12MM socket.

3. Then disconnect both stabilizer links from the RSB.

In order to remove the 10X1.25MM self-locking nut stick a 5MM hex wrench (I did this job a few weeks ago and I'm pretty sure it's 5MM; if not it is 6MM) in the pin. Then take your 14MM wrench and turn the nut counter clockwise. If you have a ratcheting wrench put it on before you put the hex wrench in the pin. Do this on both sides.

4. Remove the bar from the vehicle and be mindful of its orientation.

5. Now look over your new hardware. Customers with Civic Si's will not need the 2 shiny brackets at the bottom. Those are for the R18 guys.

Comparison of old vs new.

6. Install the RSB in the reverse order of removal.

RSB brackets measurements: 36 ft/lbs of tq.
RSB End Link measurement: 28 ft/lbs of tq

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2007, 06:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Jeremy
Excalibur just installed chrome spinner hubcapsExcalibur just installed chrome spinner hubcapsExcalibur just installed chrome spinner hubcapsExcalibur just installed chrome spinner hubcapsExcalibur just installed chrome spinner hubcapsExcalibur just installed chrome spinner hubcapsExcalibur just installed chrome spinner hubcapsExcalibur just installed chrome spinner hubcapsExcalibur just installed chrome spinner hubcapsExcalibur just installed chrome spinner hubcapsExcalibur just installed chrome spinner hubcaps
Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via Skype™ to Excalibur
Thanks for the writeup.

Excalibur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2007, 11:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Joshua Lockwood
Excelerate sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicExcelerate sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicExcelerate sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicExcelerate sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicExcelerate sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicExcelerate sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicExcelerate sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicExcelerate sometimes day dreams about 8thcivic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur
Thanks for the writeup.
You're welcome.
Excelerate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2007, 06:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Jeremy
Excalibur just installed chrome spinner hubcapsExcalibur just installed chrome spinner hubcapsExcalibur just installed chrome spinner hubcapsExcalibur just installed chrome spinner hubcapsExcalibur just installed chrome spinner hubcapsExcalibur just installed chrome spinner hubcapsExcalibur just installed chrome spinner hubcapsExcalibur just installed chrome spinner hubcapsExcalibur just installed chrome spinner hubcapsExcalibur just installed chrome spinner hubcapsExcalibur just installed chrome spinner hubcaps
Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via Skype™ to Excalibur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelerate
You're welcome.
Did you get my pm?
Excalibur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2007, 06:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

ToE kNeE
07mugencivic is teh bbq king07mugencivic is teh bbq king07mugencivic is teh bbq king07mugencivic is teh bbq king07mugencivic is teh bbq king07mugencivic is teh bbq king07mugencivic is teh bbq king07mugencivic is teh bbq king07mugencivic is teh bbq king07mugencivic is teh bbq king07mugencivic is teh bbq king
Send a message via MSN to 07mugencivic
nice write up...good job

07mugencivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2007, 09:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Jon
FERIOkid will be known by all on 8thcivic soon
Send a message via AIM to FERIOkid
I need this bad Josh AIM me at FERIOkid sometime (it's Jon from Madison bwt)
FERIOkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2007, 04:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
VIP Member

The original --> "J" <--
illusionstwice drives naked to save weightillusionstwice drives naked to save weightillusionstwice drives naked to save weightillusionstwice drives naked to save weightillusionstwice drives naked to save weightillusionstwice drives naked to save weightillusionstwice drives naked to save weightillusionstwice drives naked to save weightillusionstwice drives naked to save weightillusionstwice drives naked to save weightillusionstwice drives naked to save weight
Send a message via AIM to illusionstwice
Printing now. Should be installing tonight. WOOT.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

SkyeHack will be known by all on 8thcivic soon
what does the sway bar do?
SkyeHack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2007, 12:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Joshua Lockwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeHack
what does the sway bar do?
Reduces body roll. It plants the car a little better since it is larger than your stock bar. It is larger by 2mm. Stock is 20mm IIRC and this is 22mm.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
VIP Member

unplugged sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicunplugged sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicunplugged sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicunplugged sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicunplugged sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicunplugged sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicunplugged sometimes day dreams about 8thcivic
Send a message via AIM to unplugged
hmm i might grab this next week.

2008 Honda Civic SI (stock)
2006 Honda Civic EX (sold)
unplugged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2007, 12:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

Kevyn
dorkiedoode just put it into 3rd gear on 8thcivicdorkiedoode just put it into 3rd gear on 8thcivicdorkiedoode just put it into 3rd gear on 8thcivicdorkiedoode just put it into 3rd gear on 8thcivicdorkiedoode just put it into 3rd gear on 8thcivic
i don't have a torque wrench. do i just tighten it with my hand till it stop turning? or i have to get a torque wrench?
dorkiedoode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2007, 10:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

Joshua Lockwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkiedoode
i don't have a torque wrench. do i just tighten it with my hand till it stop turning? or i have to get a torque wrench?
You don't need a torque wrench but I recommend it.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

fiji-blew sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicfiji-blew sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicfiji-blew sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicfiji-blew sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicfiji-blew sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicfiji-blew sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicfiji-blew sometimes day dreams about 8thcivic
heard that the car should be off the lift/jack when bolting the rsb on. is that true?
fiji-blew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2007, 04:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
VIP Member

unplugged sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicunplugged sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicunplugged sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicunplugged sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicunplugged sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicunplugged sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicunplugged sometimes day dreams about 8thcivic
Send a message via AIM to unplugged
most shops just jack the car up or raise it on the lift. If you do jack the car up, make sure you jack both sides up (the entire rear) so that the suspension hangs evenly.

2008 Honda Civic SI (stock)
2006 Honda Civic EX (sold)
unplugged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2007, 06:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

fiji-blew sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicfiji-blew sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicfiji-blew sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicfiji-blew sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicfiji-blew sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicfiji-blew sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicfiji-blew sometimes day dreams about 8thcivic
i mean that i heard the weight of the car should be on the RSB when you tighten it.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:04 PM   #16 (permalink)

Izzy wheelies their car in reverseIzzy wheelies their car in reverseIzzy wheelies their car in reverseIzzy wheelies their car in reverseIzzy wheelies their car in reverseIzzy wheelies their car in reverseIzzy wheelies their car in reverseIzzy wheelies their car in reverseIzzy wheelies their car in reverseIzzy wheelies their car in reverseIzzy wheelies their car in reverse
Send a message via AIM to Izzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiji-blew
i mean that i heard the weight of the car should be on the RSB when you tighten it.
The suspension must be "loaded", is what you mean. Yeah, the AutoX'ers say to, and I'll trust them.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2007, 12:41 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy
The suspension must be "loaded", is what you mean. Yeah, the AutoX'ers say to, and I'll trust them.
thanks for the Official term

Old 10-29-2007, 12:45 AM   #18 (permalink)

Chase
Chase has an enormous 8thcivic turboChase has an enormous 8thcivic turboChase has an enormous 8thcivic turboChase has an enormous 8thcivic turboChase has an enormous 8thcivic turboChase has an enormous 8thcivic turboChase has an enormous 8thcivic turboChase has an enormous 8thcivic turboChase has an enormous 8thcivic turboChase has an enormous 8thcivic turboChase has an enormous 8thcivic turbo
Send a message via AIM to Chase Send a message via Yahoo to Chase
Mine was not under load when I installed it back in March, No problems to this day...
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2008, 10:00 PM   #19 (permalink)

Joshua Lockwood
If you have any questions feel free to PM me or IM me at Excelerate04 via AIM.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:52 PM   #20 (permalink)

Whine & Dine
Emerican just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
do you HAVE to use the shiny brackets for installing it on the r18? or can you still install it w/o it?

Emerican is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in