DIY: Create 3rd brake light after removing Si spoiler - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Honda Civic Do It Yourself Articles > DIY Honda Civic Lighting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Jason
Jdog_Si just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicJdog_Si just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicJdog_Si just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicJdog_Si just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicJdog_Si just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicJdog_Si just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicJdog_Si just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicJdog_Si just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicJdog_Si just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivic
DIY: Create 3rd brake light after removing Si spoiler

Hey everyone

I've noticed alot of questions around what are people doing about a 3rd brake light after removing the Si spoiler (since the Si spoiler has the 3rd brake light on it, as opposed to the non-Si which has it in the interior on a lower deck by the speakers).

Before I even thought about removing the spoiler and getting rid of the 3rd brake light, I made sure I had a solution for a) safety and b) to still be legal.

I found the following LED bars at my local auto part store (Autozone) for about 20 bucks. They come in different colors, but for my project, I need RED.

This is one is nice because it comes with 2 bars. It's meant to be used as accents I suppose, but I re purposed it as my 3rd brake light :]

The hook up of this was rather easy. It has 3 wires. One is the ground, and the other is the power. The 3rd one can be used together with the power but only if you want it to blink. I wanted no blinking when I brake so I didn't hook up the 3rd wire.

I ended up buying these metal clamp-looking things which I believe are supposed to go on glass doors as the "clip" to put on the upper lining of the rear interior. I then glued the 2 LED bars to it so it had a solid place to sit (see pics below)

I used foam in between the metal pieces and my rear windshield since I noticed it would rattle when I would turn my sub up.

I ran the wires through the top lining of the interior and down to the left side, then snuck it into the trunk

As for the wiring into the brake light, I hooked it up to the following 2 wires on my passenger tail-light in the trunk.

Black is ground.
Green is the power source.

Don't mind the patched up red wire. I thought it was the power, but I was wrong :]

And the finished product:

And a crappy shot of the car:

Some quick notes:

I've had this on for about a year and have not had any legal issues. Been pulled over for tints but the brake light was never brought up as an issue EVER.

Hope this helps and at least inspires people to create something similar if you are planning on removing your Si spoiler.

Make sure you also check out my other DIY on creating reverse lights using the same technique when doing red-outs on your tail lights:

https://www.8thcivic.com/forums/do-yo...aillights.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2010, 11:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Adrian
acrobles just put it into 4th gear on 8thcivicacrobles just put it into 4th gear on 8thcivicacrobles just put it into 4th gear on 8thcivicacrobles just put it into 4th gear on 8thcivicacrobles just put it into 4th gear on 8thcivicacrobles just put it into 4th gear on 8thcivic
i actually did the same as jdog si but i installed the light where the non si has it =).

acrobles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 12:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Brett
Br3TT just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Nice I need to do this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2010, 12:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Binks

Darwin
Dar-Dar just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicDar-Dar just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicDar-Dar just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicDar-Dar just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicDar-Dar just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicDar-Dar just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicDar-Dar just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicDar-Dar just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicDar-Dar just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivic
Nice DIY. I would taken off the light from the spoiler and mount it on the speaker dash.
Dar-Dar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 10:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Broke Baller

Pogi
pgFA is the 8thcivic ninja warriorpgFA is the 8thcivic ninja warriorpgFA is the 8thcivic ninja warriorpgFA is the 8thcivic ninja warriorpgFA is the 8thcivic ninja warriorpgFA is the 8thcivic ninja warriorpgFA is the 8thcivic ninja warriorpgFA is the 8thcivic ninja warriorpgFA is the 8thcivic ninja warriorpgFA is the 8thcivic ninja warriorpgFA is the 8thcivic ninja warrior
Send a message via AIM to pgFA Send a message via Yahoo to pgFA
Nice! Thanks man! Will be doing this soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pgFA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

av911 sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicav911 sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicav911 sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicav911 sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicav911 sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicav911 sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicav911 sometimes day dreams about 8thcivic
It's hardly visible.
av911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 11:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Jason
Jdog_Si just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicJdog_Si just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicJdog_Si just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicJdog_Si just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicJdog_Si just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicJdog_Si just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicJdog_Si just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicJdog_Si just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivicJdog_Si just slammed it into 5th gear on 8thcivic
but still visible. and at night, it is visible. Cops dont give me any problems and I've been pulled over at least 6 times for tints and not once has this been brought up.
Jdog_Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2010, 11:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

trinxified just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
hey jdog, nice write up. i've been looking to find solutions for this. i'm not wingless, but have installed a CTR wing, so it still renders me with no 3rd brake light
trinxified is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2010, 12:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Jason
Cool, let me know how it works out for you.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

NYCSean just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
lol nice plates
NYCSean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

blanc0 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
I just actually got pulled over for this the other night, since i switched over to a CF trunk. All i did was take the 3rd brake light off the spoiler and ran the old wire back from the trunk through my seat and placed the light above the stock sub in the car. Looks ghetto, but got my ticket away
blanc0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2010, 04:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

wilbert recinos just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Send a message via Yahoo to wilbert recinos
Looks nice... but why not just get a OEM 3rd brake light? Its plug n play and it lights up brighter I think... looks clean none the less...
wilbert recinos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2010, 04:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Broke Baller

Pogi
pgFA is the 8thcivic ninja warriorpgFA is the 8thcivic ninja warriorpgFA is the 8thcivic ninja warriorpgFA is the 8thcivic ninja warriorpgFA is the 8thcivic ninja warriorpgFA is the 8thcivic ninja warriorpgFA is the 8thcivic ninja warriorpgFA is the 8thcivic ninja warriorpgFA is the 8thcivic ninja warriorpgFA is the 8thcivic ninja warriorpgFA is the 8thcivic ninja warrior
Send a message via AIM to pgFA Send a message via Yahoo to pgFA
Will work for coupes but not sedans. None of the sedan has the slot for the stock sub that SI has. Plus this is cheaper.

pgFA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

pnwfunk just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
i was thinking of trading my Si sedan trunk for a wingless one, and taking the other car's brake light and placing it on top of the subwoofer. wouldn't that work? also, does anyone have a link for a DIY trunk swap?
pnwfunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbert recinos View Post
Looks nice... but why not just get a OEM 3rd brake light? Its plug n play and it lights up brighter I think... looks clean none the less...
Since its an Si, I have a sub in the place of where the non-Si's have the 3rd brake light.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

wilbert recinos just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Send a message via Yahoo to wilbert recinos
I got me a OEM sedan third brake light, I guess ima have to go mickey mouse with it... mening some 3m double sided tape out of do the job I think... and I'm thinking of placing it in front of the woofer, probably gonna screw it in if it somehow matches at least a littl bit... ill do it soon and post some pics of it when done...
wilbert recinos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #17 (permalink)

Rocco just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Send a message via AIM to Rocco
So i got everything done ecept having trouble with wiring the light. The light i got is just like the OP's except it has the red button that was hooked up to it so u could test it out in the store so the red wire runs to the small black and to the button and the red button has a black wire running to the small black box to the actual lights. The wires are also so short the aftermarket light came with. Help with the wireing anyone?????

Last edited by Rocco; 04-14-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Rocco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #18 (permalink)

Luigi
Itsaluigi just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Itsaluigi Send a message via Yahoo to Itsaluigi
nice what did you use to cover up the holes
Itsaluigi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsaluigi View Post
nice what did you use to cover up the holes
I bought these plastic plugs that worked perfect. Used touch up paint to make them blend into the trunk. There is one large hole in the trunk for the sedan so i bought a good size rubber plug that is really flat. i found at a furniture store. It covers the hole amazingly. It looks good.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathleen81 View Post
They come in different colors, but for my project, I need RED.image
If thats a question, than yes.... You need red for a 3rd break light. I dont think you will win any police over with green or purple.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in