8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Homemade Icebox Intake

210K views 358 replies 151 participants last post by  starboy1980 
#1 · (Edited)
So I did an Oil change on my Car @ work today and finally looked into how our intakes work....
When I did my Fog light install last year I noticed a huge baffle/box behind the left fog light. The purpose of this is to reduce throttle noise and keep engine form getting water in it. Well bottom line it's way too restrictive.
So I cut the puppy out and removed the pipe that goes up to the fender so the air comes in right behind the fog light! :eek:hsnap:

Here are the pix of what I took out.....

here is the baffle split in 2....

here is where I cut the pipe I did it so I could glue it back together if I needed

here is complete picture list of parts I took out...

when you pop the hood you can't even see what I did lol looks stock up untill where it goes behind the fog light.....where the big box/ baffle is........cost zero $ and great sound too!

Tools needed
10mm on a 1/4 ratchet (to remove 2 bolts)
Hacksaw or razorblade
2 long zip ties to resecure what is left in car. (soon to be a metal tab that bolts to body of car)

oh yeah and I am also running a K&N in box air filter...
here is one of my last mods I have yet to do lol and its part of the stock setup yet again costing me 0 dollars!

here is a pix of it removed....

here is a pix of the first part that you will have to buy if you don't have one lying around....a hose clamp....I will be using this to keep the end from coming off the intake tube...
When you guys see the end result you will think it was ment to be there....

I am basicly connecting it on backwards this will help bring the intake tube inlet a little closer to the front of the vehicle....

ok here is the pix of inside the car as you can see this is the piece that I separated from the baffle...

Now I added the last part the end piece and when I did this after i put everything back together it sounded even more loud :thumb: if you are wontering what the small part is above that snakes with the intake tube its an air chamber for throttle responce I left this on and wiht the addition of the last piece I bellieve it helped my throttle even better....

ok now here are some pix of the final setup with everything in the car

from the bottom looking up...

side view note the foglight location...

bottom of car after wheel well is installed...

Metal bracket:

Here are 2 vids:
Cold start up:

CustomIntake022.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Driving with window open:

CustomIntake023.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I have to admit it sounds better after it's warmed up and RPM's are down....I do notice a difference for the better in throttle and accel just around when VTEC kicks in....

See less See more
Reactions: datbacker59
#322 ·
i too also felt a "pull" improvement on the top end. from the seat of the pants approach, it just felt like it smoothed out the power band by letting her breathe easier. only k/n drop-in filter and a smoothed out filter box. other wise stock exhaust.... so of coarse i can hear the engine ripp louder with the free mod.

#326 ·
Has anyone tried to by pass the resonator and make a connection between the two pipes so there is still cold air coming from the fender.

just get a 3inWide/6in long coupler and two hose clamps. then reconnect the intake piece with the stock rubber velocity stack and attach it to the intake piece in between the intake box and resonator. get rid of the resonator, and it fits the stock velocity stack perfectly behind the fog light area. looks oem and clean.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#328 ·
yea so almost like in the pictures in the first post, except with my way theres no cutting or having to remove the rubber oem velocity stack to attach it later. just butt the two pieces toghether with a 3in coupler and some hose clamps. it reaches perfectly where the resonator used to be and its light enough that it really doesnt flop around without the bracket for below. with the new coupler itll be ridged enough. itll mount with the oem rubber grommet attached to the stock battery tray.

#332 ·
I never said I wanted to silence the VTEC, just wondered if anyone has air coming in from the fender (the way Honda has it) without the resonator.
A Dremel tool would work wonders on this mod.
That to me would be a better setup, no worries of hydro lock.
As far as those ribs, I think I'll shave mine down..just to smooth out the air flow. The way it is now only one side of my filter is getting more air than the other..judging by the dirt pattern.

#333 ·
i know. your right. i was just saying that if honda designed the box to baffle the sound of engine rev that would be crazy. it sounds so good why would they do that? the whole point of shaving is to smooth out the air flow from restriction or turbulance or both. kinda like an exhaust system, remove the resonator and all the baffles. it gets louder. same with the intake, remove the resonator and the baffles and it gets louder. Hmmm?

#334 ·
Oh I see what your saying "08civicsi" . The stock set up does have that nice sound @ 6000rpm. Very nice switch over.
However the best (stock) VTEC sound I've heard was from my 94 Integra GSR. It had a dual intake manifold. When those extra butterfly flaps opened on VTEC it sounded like the engine has an extra 2 cylinders.
I sure miss that car.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#342 ·
just passed all the day to make it ! final result is great ! a bit more drône in mid range, I tried bot method one was just to remove the resonator and leave the thing like that, it was ok BUT eventually getting heatsoak so,I decided to continue with the poor man icebox and I can really see a difference in sound, its much better with the icebox cutted trust me ! will see if I get better mileage its on a 2009 CSX base with the k20z2

#343 ·
UPDATE:

if you have a base csx DONT DO IT, I was happy at first BUT after some times the car gett sluggish at low/mid rpm, and since we don't pass all the time in the high rev the car feel much slower !, I DO get better mileage cause of less good air coming in the engine but that,s all...

and if you are like me and want to buy another resonator assembly use its impossible to find and brand new the part number is 17230-RRA-A00 is have a value of 231,71$ CAN, VS the SI wish is only 53,71$ and its not the same box and I really dont know if its fit !

#344 ·
Just finshed my setup routed the bottom of the box to a 3 inch hose attached to a velocity stack from foglight whole...throttle response def improved def feel more pull because now tires break loose a little earlier in front only mod besides full race 3inch..vtec engagment is very smooth but it def pulls better...not claiming 10 hp or anything but def like 3-5 between 4k-6k it felt like it would choke at that point until vtec now it just pulls

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.