8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

DIY: Primary o2 sensor replacement

115K views 77 replies 50 participants last post by  army2110 
#1 · (Edited)
ok so my replacement came in today:woowoo: why the need?

heres the story:

one of my studs on the cat stripped and i changed it, no brainer take a hammer to it, just like replacing wheel studs. replaced it no problem. so i finish installing my apexi WS2 exhaust and i get a CEL. get that checked out, come to find out i broke me first o2 sensor....WTF!!

anyways, for those who ever comes across of changing your oem cat studs PULL YOUR O2 SENSORS OUT FIRST!!!

i hated the though of this because i was getting my RH that weekend this happened.

o2 sensor wasnt so bad, got it off of collegehills honda for about $120 shipped. called autozone they had one "exact thing" for $2XX, i was like yeah right....:eek:mg:

Broken sensor:

This install took me about 15 minutes top.

Tools need:
7/8's wrench

Part number for o2 senor

1st:thing you want to make sure your car is cool

2nd:make sure you have a jack and jack stands.

3rd:after getting under the car locate your PITA...oh i mean sensor. un clip the sensor

4th:use a 7/8's to loosen it

5th:locate the plug where it goes

6th:unclip the plug

7th:tighten the new o2 sensor

8th:connect the plug, clip it back on(i almost forgot)

9th:reset the battery

10th:enjoy having a no CEL:dancing:

feel free to ask me any questions.:beer:

See less See more
#24 ·
I have noticed with CEL's that sometimes they will post a double code when you read them with the OBDII scanner. As stated above by 02civic, do the ECU reset. Before I had FP, I went to autozone for the free scan, and then just asked them if I could clear the code. The employee said they would not do it, but had no objections if "I" pressed the button myself.

#26 ·
I think i have a bad Primary O2 sensor because I have very bad MPG right now. I remember taking one O2 sensor out when i replaced the header (right on the cat). Is primary sensor different from the secondary?

And I found this and it is too cheap to be true. But it is the correct part number from Denso.

#27 ·
I think i have a bad Primary O2 sensor because I have very bad MPG right now. I remember taking one O2 sensor out when i replaced the header (right on the cat). Is primary sensor different from the secondary?

Amazon.com: Denso 234-4358 Oxygen Sensor (Air and Fuel Ratio Sensor): Automotive

And I found this and it is too cheap to be true. But it is the correct part number from Denso.
It is not too good to be true. I did some research and the O2 sensors themselves are interchangable as parts. The location of them (primary or secondary) defines what they do. Internally they are the same but the secondary may have longer wires. Your link says Air/Fuel ratio sensor but I checked on Denso's website and the Part # actually matches the one for the O2 Sensor. Go get it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.