defroster/radio static issue - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Honda Civic Do It Yourself Articles > DIY Honda Civic Electrical

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2019, 04:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

TotalNo0b has their car in neutral right now
defroster/radio static issue

Hello,

I'm a newbie to civics and new to working on cars in general. I have an 06 LX automatic with the 1.8. Nothing special, but I'm hoping to learn with it.

Anyway, I just changed the plugs out b/c my gas mileage is low and it had a bit of a rough idle, and since doing so the idle is much better but now the defrost makes the radio fuzz out.

I've seen this is a common problem, but I'm wondering if I somehow caused it by doing something wrong changing the plugs. I used Denso plugs, gaps seemed to be in the .39-.43 range, and I torqued them to 13 ft/lbs. The car was a little bit warm when I did the change but there seem to be no other issues I can tell.

Anybody got any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2019, 07:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

MisterBek has their car in neutral right now
The spark plugs and radio shouldn't be related.

Are we talking about re defrost blower or the resistive heat defrost for the rear? The rear defrost is relatively high current and just happens to be located right next to your antenna traces on the rear windshield, so the interference is pretty much inevitable. Do you have an aftermarket head unit? My previous car had an aftermarket head unit and it was really bad, but on my civic it's only noticeable when I already have a weak signal on the radio. If you're convinced it's well beyond typical and you have a good strong signal you could look at improving your shielding or adding a filter. Possibly you could go crazy with a capacitor on the defrost circuit, but I've honestly never tried it or talked to anyone who has but it theoretically should clean up your power in that circuit to help.
Now that I'm thinking of it, how fresh is your battery? If its weak, your voltage (or current in this case, thanks to V=IR) will fluctuate more than usual as the alternator spins, causing extra interference. A bad battery connection (loose or corroded) can do the same thing.

Sorry theres no specific answer, but hopefully I've given you some things to consider

MisterBek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2019, 09:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

TotalNo0b has their car in neutral right now

I think the resistive heat defrost. The bottom right on the above pic. I'm not sure how fresh the battery is, but I had it and the alternator tested about a month ago and they were both within the ranges they're supposed to be. It's possible that this has been an issue since I bought it in the beginning of April, and I just haven't had the rear defrost on yet with the radio on at the same time. It's been pretty warm here since then, but we had a recent cold snap so I had to turn it on the other night.

It seems like it was the worst the first night I noticed it, and since then it's not quite as bad. I'm wondering if the computer is perhaps adjusting to the slight variations in voltage with the new plugs. And it also is less noticeable when the radio signal is strong.

Idk, I'm just a bit gunshy since I've never really worked on my own cars before, and I changed the plugs when the car was still a little warm. Thanks for the response.
TotalNo0b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

MisterBek has their car in neutral right now
Just to follow up, yes thats the resistive rear defrost. If your battery is good I would check the cables to make sure they're tight without no corrosion (don't forget to check the connections between cable and terminal clamp) and that's all I would do unless you're super bothered by the static.

Personally I always just changed the channel or switched to a CD or streamed something off my phone when it happened so I never put much work into the problem.
MisterBek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in