fair price for 2008 civic si? - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Welcome > Dealership Experience

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

jerald just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
fair price for 2008 civic si?

im planning to buy a civic si, and i dont know what's the price for this car right now, and my budget is around 15 gran? what year and mileage should i look for?
i found this AutoTrader.com Mobile is this a fair price?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

jjermzz just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
A fair price is not 15k for 2008 no matter the mileage. Sellers and Appraisal websites live in lala land. I bought my 07 Si sedan in 2008 with 26k miles for $13,900. And right now you see these 2006-2008 Si's under 100k miles and the ask price is 10k-12k. You can find a nice repo a year old under 30k miles is you look hard enough for 15k. Look in luxury car lots, sometimes they get a trade-in and keep it to sell.

If your dropping 15K go with the new body style civic so you can recoup most of your $$$$ when you sell

jjermzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 05:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Bryan
iCivicSi08 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
it depends on where you are, some locations have higher prices for the 8th gens when compared to others. I actually bought my 2008 w/ 21k miles for 18.7k two years ago. If i were the buy the same car with the same miles, I would spent 1-2k less and nothing more. Now, for 15k, you can get a 08 SI with good mileage (i.e., under 35k) quite easily depending on your area. Just make sure, most dealership prices can be negotiated/priced down at least 4k, so a 8th gen for 16k can go as low as 12k in the end, if you appropriately negotiate.
iCivicSi08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Eric'sFG2 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Send a message via AIM to Eric'sFG2
A Si is the type of car a dealer is going to try to screw you with. I am guessing you are a young man. They will try to play games with you because they know you want it and they know you have not bought a car before. It's not like a normal civic where the dealer has 30 on lot and there are 3 other Honda dealers in your town who also do. A si is bit more rare to come across. I speak from experience.

The best thing you can do is know the blue book value and have a good poker face and your own financing set up. Don't be too excited, make it seem like you need to be sold on the car. If the dealer trys to overcharge you do not be afraid to walk away. Even if they lead you to believe that if you don't buy it now some one else will. They might, but the car game is tough and even with a sporty car like the Si sales do not come often. You as the buyer have the power. You will be surprised how much better the deal gets if you try to leave.

Last edited by Eric'sFG2; 07-01-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Eric'sFG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

FG2_Tyler just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
My si is an 08 and had 104k when I bought it in December.

It was at a dealership and was priced at 12,500

That was the cheapest si at a dealer I could find. I ended up talking them down to 11,500 and got a 2 year warranty in the process. Don't let them sell you the car. Be up front with what you want, how much you want to pay and let them know that even though it's an Si there are still lots of appealing cars you can get in that price range.
FG2_Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 08:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

thanks for the replies! btw i've looked at the blue book value and its around 13 gran. if i manage to bring the price down to around 12k would it be a fair price? i live in south cali, 21 years old and its going to be my first car.
jerald is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 08:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

AcAciA1153 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
And don't listen to Jermzz, his advice in this case is awful. There is no way, on God's green earth, you'll get a 9th gen Si for 15k unless it has been totaled and is a salvage (or it has 200K miles). Don't buy a repo car. If they didn't have the money to make payments on it, there is no way they had the money to take care of the car AT ALL.

That being said. If you are very patient, you can find a well taken care of '08 Si with under 50K miles for less than 13k. It's going to be a private sale though. Dealerships will always charge more.

Get on NADA and look up the value of the car. That's typically the price the dealership is going off of when they price the car. To give you an idea, right now my '07 Si (54K miles) NADA books out at 13.5K. Pay whatever you are personally willing to pay for that car and know, in the end, a car will lose you money every time. It's not an appreciable asset.

Last edited by AcAciA1153; 07-01-2014 at 08:46 PM.
AcAciA1153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 09:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Eric'sFG2 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Send a message via AIM to Eric'sFG2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerald View Post
thanks for the replies! btw i've looked at the blue book value and its around 13 gran. if i manage to bring the price down to around 12k would it be a fair price? i live in south cali, 21 years old and its going to be my first car.

I don't think they will go below blue book on a Si but you can try. But if they are asking around that price I think it is a good deal. Often a dealer will be asking above blue book and hope you don't notice. Especially with a car like this since they will try to say it is "rare" and "sporty".
Eric'sFG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 09:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric'sFG2 View Post
I don't think they will go below blue book on a Si but you can try. But if they are asking around that price I think it is a good deal. Often a dealer will be asking above blue book and hope you don't notice. Especially with a car like this since they will try to say it is "rare" and "sporty".
i guess the car was sold already because i couldn't find it in thier website anymore. but i will try to email and ask them about the availability. it is the only used si around me. lol
Old 07-02-2014, 05:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

oldschool350z just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Odds are if it's off their site then it's sold...

These cars go quick in summer.
oldschool350z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 11:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

jjermzz just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcAciA1153 View Post
And don't listen to Jermzz, his advice in this case is awful. There is no way, on God's green earth, you'll get a 9th gen Si for 15k unless it has been totaled and is a salvage (or it has 200K miles). Don't buy a repo car. If they didn't have the money to make payments on it, there is no way they had the money to take care of the car AT ALL.

That being said. If you are very patient, you can find a well taken care of '08 Si with under 50K miles for less than 13k. It's going to be a private sale though. Dealerships will always charge more.

Get on NADA and look up the value of the car. That's typically the price the dealership is going off of when they price the car. To give you an idea, right now my '07 Si (54K miles) NADA books out at 13.5K. Pay whatever you are personally willing to pay for that car and know, in the end, a car will lose you money every time. It's not an appreciable asset.
I've gotten the best deals on a repo and a trade in. A repo is on the lot on a 30-60 day interest free loan from the bank. So the dealer has no attachment other than the banks repo amount. They just need to make money over that amount. Most new Si or any car owner drops about 5,000 makes a year of payments. Then it's repoed. If you shop around a lot that's not Honda you'll get really good deals. Why would you get a 6-7 year old si for 15 if a 1-2 year old Si is 18k. I've seen Them for 16 already but they go fast. Plus don't let the Dealer tell you it's a rare car. Cuz it's not.

One more thing the dealer are all for themselves. You can't let them convince you that your getting a good price. At those priices you need to bring up competitor car prices like 2007-8 BMW 3 series, 350z, Lexus IS GS. Mention active listings online because those motha****as check. Always tell them it's too much for the miles. Like if you see an IS with 80k for fifteen tell them why would would I buy this civic if... and always refer to it as a civic. The classic line I used was I can pay x for this civic with 200 hp or the pay the same for a used Z/BMW/Lexus IS with more HP, leather features et c. They start dropping their prices. Like right now I see a 2008 lex es with 69k miles for 15k. You telling me a 2008 civic with 69k miles is a similar value car no way. They got you guys hooked. Kbb has a 14,700 value for SI with same year and mile. But our cars don't have half the features of the Lexus Es. Just make believe you'll buy some. other better equipped car for the same money.

My two cent

Don't let the dealer know you want THAT car. Cuz I had one try sell me a cooper after they sold a Z I was fishing for. They don't give a ****.

And no you won't find a new. Si 15k yet. But people/dealer do get desperate sometimes.

Last edited by jjermzz; 07-03-2014 at 11:26 PM.
jjermzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2014, 01:39 AM   #12 (permalink)

AutoTrader.com Mobile

what do you guys think this car worth? i got quoted 16k out the door. i didn't even tried to offer back. lol can i be able to get it for 12k plus tax and stuff?
Old 07-19-2014, 08:24 AM   #13 (permalink)

Traevon
CL9Scott just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
It's not letting me see the car, but I feel like 9k-12k is a fair price for a 2006-2008 depending on the mileage. I paid 12k out the door for my 2007 sedan with 106,000 miles. I thought that was a little high, but I loved the car and the color so I didn't really care haha
CL9Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2014, 11:38 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL9Scott View Post
It's not letting me see the car, but I feel like 9k-12k is a fair price for a 2006-2008 depending on the mileage. I paid 12k out the door for my 2007 sedan with 106,000 miles. I thought that was a little high, but I loved the car and the color so I didn't really care haha
it's '07 si with 58950miles on it. he wants the car for 14600 and i didn't even offer back. lol i think that's pretty rape. do you guys think this car worth around 12.5 to 13k? it has scratched maybe 4 inch long and the ivtec decal is peeling off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in