What type of driving for MAF cal. datalogs? - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > ECU Tuning Information > Cobb Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2009, 11:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

08civicman just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
What type of driving for MAF cal. datalogs?

This is what is says from the tuning guide from cobb, however I find it to be a little bit vague and unclear.

"Set the AccessPORT up to datalog the standard 10
AccessPORT variables along with Fuel Trim (Short) or STFT. This variable will need to be added to the
datalog list. Be sure to have Mass Airflow displayed on the AccessPORT screen or AccessTUNER
dashboard as you prepare to capture this datalog. Start driving the car around under light throttle
conditions so the ECU can calculate what changes need to be made using the closed-loop feedback
system. While driving, try to modulate the throttle so the MAF Airflow values vary from 8-20 grams/sec
(a normal airflow value for light throttle) to 80 grams/sec over the next 5-10 minutes; please be sure to
accelerate at a steady rate until you exceed 80 grams/sec airflow. It is likely that you will need to
modulate the throttle to full throttle to exceed 80 grams/sec during this test, this is normal. You do not
need to exceed 4800 RPM or the VTEC engagement point during this datalogging period. After you have
completed sufficient driving for this log that modulates MAF Airflow between 2-80 grams/sec, please put
the car in neutral and allow the car to idle for almost a minute, then stop the datalog."

Anyone whos calibrated their MAF with cobb AP care to chime in and give me some better instructions on the type of driving is needed to be done for this datalog? I fully understand what to do after that with the data, its just the type of datalog needed im stuck on.

Would be much appreciated, I just need a little push in the right direction.

Last edited by 08civicman; 08-02-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2009, 01:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

eric
enojy just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
The way I've been doing things...

I flash the ECU with the map of choice, and after doing so, start the car and let it idle to operating temperature. Shut it off. Start it back up, drive around town for 10 minutes as I would normally drive (i.e. gas station for a drink,) park and shut it off. Drive back home, park, shut it off.

My next trip out is for datalogging -- city for 10 minutes, highway for 10 minutes. I use the merge ramp to steadily accelerate in 3rd and 4th, usually up to around 6500 RPM, so i can get a smooth increase of airflow logged. It's not so much you're trying to hit 80, but you want a good, long, smooth increase up to it. I try to avoid VTEC as best I can. No full throttle either. For the city portion, I drive as I normally would. Be extra careful on the highway. I'm typically approaching 80 MPH getting a good spread of 4th gear, and that's before I've merged. Be absolutely positive you have a wide frame to merge into. Don't go hauling ass up the onramp during rush hour and expect to slide right in at high speed.

Then, you can use the spreadsheets at The Un-Official Cobb AccessPORT users community | AccessTUNERS to calibrate your MAF sensor. You'll likely need to repeat this process 2 or 3 times to really smooth things out.

Last edited by enojy; 08-03-2009 at 01:04 AM.
enojy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2009, 08:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

B
BLouIsGod should be doing the 1/4 Mile in the 12'sBLouIsGod should be doing the 1/4 Mile in the 12'sBLouIsGod should be doing the 1/4 Mile in the 12'sBLouIsGod should be doing the 1/4 Mile in the 12'sBLouIsGod should be doing the 1/4 Mile in the 12'sBLouIsGod should be doing the 1/4 Mile in the 12'sBLouIsGod should be doing the 1/4 Mile in the 12'sBLouIsGod should be doing the 1/4 Mile in the 12'sBLouIsGod should be doing the 1/4 Mile in the 12'sBLouIsGod should be doing the 1/4 Mile in the 12'sBLouIsGod should be doing the 1/4 Mile in the 12's
What are you basing your initial map choice on? Ive got an diy intake and am not sure where to start, i was thinking injen sri or stock map...
BLouIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2009, 08:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLouIsGod View Post
What are you basing your initial map choice on? Ive got an diy intake and am not sure where to start, i was thinking injen sri or stock map...
If you have a DIY intake I would start with the map for a stock Si and go from there.

Ive got the CT-E intake so im basing mine off of their stage one tune. I only have about 50km's on the tune so far and my LTFT's are around -3.0 so im going to give it another day or so to see where it settles then do some datalogs and do an update.

If they settle around -2 to -3 LTFT is there any benefit to be gained by calibrating the MAF even further, or is it pointless and mainly for ***** and giggles? Im going to do it anyway because I like stuff to be as bang on as possible just curious though.

Last edited by 08civicman; 08-03-2009 at 10:15 AM.
08civicman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

K so i just did like a 15-20 min datalog with 1/3 highway driving and the rest city/back road. Looking through the datalog now there were 5 entries where vtec engaged so I deleted them and 2 entries that i accidently went WOT so i deleted them. Now im going to proceed to put this log into that excel spreadsheet and see how it goes.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ive uploaded the new map and am going to datalog it in a while and recal the MAF again.

What is the end result? a fairly flat STFT curve/line in the datalog analysis spreadsheet??

My LTFT with just one MAF cal is now at -0.8 so i imagine only one or 2 more datalogs and MAF cals and I will be good to go.

Last edited by 08civicman; 08-03-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

eric
enojy just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Yes, you are aiming to get your fuel trims as steady (close to 0) as possible. You'll know you're on the right track when your STFT rarely deviates anymore than +/- 1.
enojy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2009, 04:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enojy View Post
Yes, you are aiming to get your fuel trims as steady (close to 0) as possible. You'll know you're on the right track when your STFT rarely deviates anymore than +/- 1.
I can already see the STFT line cleaning itself up, but it still isnt near straight yet. Approx. How many datalogs then cals are needed to achieve the +/- 1 mark?

Im on MAFCAL #3 now and its loaded and been driven around town for 20 mins so after dinner im going to go out and do a nicee long data log. 15 mins highway and 15 mins city then come back and do another CAL. I can see this starting to take up alot of my time lol

Could you post up a screen shot of the STFT graph in the analysis spreadsheet, im curious to see what your line looks like

Last edited by 08civicman; 08-03-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
E-Tunez Tuner

Dan
Dan0974 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
You want LTFT to be around +/-8 anything closer to zero is better but not absolutely necessary. The car will correct the rest eventually.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-CTSC Stg2-FlashPro-IMT Inlet-INJEN CAI-3" Exhaust-KRRH--> 13.2 @ 111mph
Professional Tunes -->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dan0974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

My LTFT have settled @ -0.8 after 500 km's of driving and on MAFCAL #7.... Im thinking of doing a few more MAF cals I would like to try and get my LTFT @ 0.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
E-Tunez Tuner

Dan
It's damn near impossible to get it to zero all the time with differences in weather, driving conditions, etc.

Professional Tunes -->

Old 08-06-2009, 01:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
there is no spoon

mucter just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Your LTFT is also affected by your actual fuel tables. Once you get your MAF calibrated well, you need to start doing some street tuning of your fuel. At accesstuners we're working on a good process for this now.

mucter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

Roy
jdmcoupe just put it into 3rd gear on 8thcivicjdmcoupe just put it into 3rd gear on 8thcivicjdmcoupe just put it into 3rd gear on 8thcivicjdmcoupe just put it into 3rd gear on 8thcivicjdmcoupe just put it into 3rd gear on 8thcivic
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucter View Post
Your LTFT is also affected by your actual fuel tables. Once you get your MAF calibrated well, you need to start doing some street tuning of your fuel. At accesstuners we're working on a good process for this now.
Really wow didnt know that. I cant wait to street tune the fuel I might need to lean mine out a little
jdmcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2009, 01:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Roy
jdmcoupe just put it into 3rd gear on 8thcivicjdmcoupe just put it into 3rd gear on 8thcivicjdmcoupe just put it into 3rd gear on 8thcivicjdmcoupe just put it into 3rd gear on 8thcivicjdmcoupe just put it into 3rd gear on 8thcivic
so you would lean or richen depending on ur AF when normal driving or it
Old 08-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
E-Tunez Tuner

Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcoupe View Post
so you would lean or richen depending on ur AF when normal driving or it
I believe CL driving will always target 14.7 no matter what. OL is what you will tune depending on your AFR.

Professional Tunes -->

Old 08-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

Roy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0974 View Post
I believe CL driving will always target 14.7 no matter what. OL is what you will tune depending on your AFR.
ok thats why the car feels different a wot than 3/4 or 1/2 throttle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in