is this the correct GM Synchromesh fluid for my FA5? - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Bolt-Ons And All-Motor > Clutch & Transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2015, 12:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Devon
devonis1337 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
is this the correct GM Synchromesh fluid for my FA5?

hey guys! I guess this is my first post here :P did a brief search but couldn't get an exact answer to my question, so I figured I'd make a thread... hope I didn't overlook a certain thread with the answer to this question (and yes, I read most of the pages of the DIY MTF change thread :P)

2008 Civic Si Sedan. just hit 100,000 recently, and I'm dealing with the notorious 3rd gear grinding/notchy-ness/low speed clunking while engaging and disengaging 1st and 2nd gear, so I'm looking to replace my transmission fluid, and I'm pretty much set on the GM Synchromesh friction modified semi-synthetic.

now, before I order 2 quarts of this fluid (
Amazon Amazon
), I just want to make sure this is safe enough to use on helical LSD's/wet clutch applications. multiple people with Hondas and Acuras have been giving this product phenomenal reviews on this Amazon product page, but again, just want to make sure I'm getting the proper fluid the first time. thanks in advance for the help! appreciate it

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2015, 02:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

A 2 Ze
Ulrblitzer just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Order away. Remember that it can't heal any mechanical damage already done.

BTW, changing out with either new OEM or Amsoil MTF have also helped me in the past. Take whichever is more convenient to get.

Ulrblitzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2015, 03:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Devon
devonis1337 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrblitzer View Post
Order away. Remember that it can't heal any mechanical damage already done.

BTW, changing out with either new OEM or Amsoil MTF have also helped me in the past. Take whichever is more convenient to get.
awesome! appreciate the response. and yeah, I've heard pretty decent feedback regarding AMSoil, but not so much for Honda's MTF (even with their new formula, unfortunately). however, I've heard nothing but good things in regards to GM Synchromesh.

I just picked this car up with 99k on the clock, and I have a good feeling it's still using the MTF from the factory it rolled out of in 2007 hahahah. while it won't repair any of the potential damage, I know this will be the best thing I can do for the transmission until I get around to raking up the funds needed for a rebuild :x

thanks again man!

Last edited by devonis1337; 12-23-2015 at 03:39 PM.
devonis1337 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2015, 01:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Izzy
KingIzzyFG2 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Garage
I picked up 2 quarts from my local chevy dealer and they've heard good things from other Honda owners coming in for more bottles. I haven't put it into my transmission yet, but hopefully my 2nd gear notch is lessened.
KingIzzyFG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in