Engine drone reduction? - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Model Specific Civic Information > Civic SI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2018, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Moczy has their car in neutral right now
Lightbulb Engine drone reduction?

Love my Fiji Blue Pearl '08 Civic Si Coupe. Bought it brand new off the lot, carefully followed regular maintenance, baby it, up to 180k miles, but the engine noise on my work commute driving ~90 on the toll road for 30 minutes straight around 4k RPM is starting to make my ears ring.

I feel it's gotten louder over time, or my ears have gotten more sensitive. It's not road noise, because if I let off the gas and just coast at around the same speed, the noise goes away, it's specifically the engine sound hovering around 4k RPM.

Any suggestions? Different hood liner to try? Replace the engine mounts? I doubt sound insulating the doors will help as I'm pretty sure it's noise coming through the firewall.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2018, 01:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Broskiballa has their car in neutral right now
Iíve put a lot of time into coming up with a personal plan to fight noise on my 97 civic hatch. I daily drove that badass thing for years but road noise is killer on AZ highways. I have an 08 si sedan too, and put some thought into this vehicle as well.

Iíve considered washing the hell out of my under carriage/ wheel wells, firewall, along with wiping down with acetone. Then, purchasing ALOT of painting paper, taping off exhaust, engine, suspension, lines, other things I donít want covered. And adding several very nice coats of 3m rubberized coating, let it dry and seal. Finally, using some dope black gloss Rust-Oleum undercarriage hardener, (many coats as well), to seal and protect. Both in conjunction will help decrease noise greatly. The rubberized coating will dampen the entire body from low frequencies along with add a mass barrier. The Rust-Oleum hardened gloss seal will be a hard barrier from road debris, moisture, and add a really nice aesthetic touch.

I also want some new hood sound dampening material for my hood, and engine bay/ firewall area.

Broskiballa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in