8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

IMA Battery Warranty Extension

16K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  accordztec 
#1 · (Edited)
I haven't seen any mention of this yet, but it looks like there was a TSB out in late 2012 extending the warranty for the IMA battery of 03-08 HCH models. If I'm not mistaken, the bulletin number is 12-077.

For 2006 Civics up to 2006, in states where the warranty was 10 yrs/150k miles before, it's now been extended to 11/170k. For the other states, where it was 8/80k, the warranty is now 9/96k.

For 07/08, the extended warranties are now 11yrs/162k and 9/92k respectively

If you've had your IMA battery go bad but were stuck with it being over the old mileage limits, it may be worth another visit to the dealership.

#10 ·
UPDATE: My check engine + IMA light came on a couple weeks ago @ 156k. I sent a copy of this to the dealer (who told initially told me that warranty was up at 150k). Long story short, they were able to install a hybrid battery with no charge to me. They did point out that a couple other things were wrong with the car, but I'm happy that I got a new battery! Thanks guys!

#11 ·
My IMA late came on at 80k miles and it was replaced free of charge. I did have to pay for the software update but that was just a technicality because they have to do that before they can submit warranty claim. I was refunded what I paid and battery was ordered and installed within 5 days. Zero out of pocket.

I also got my car washed 3 times in one week. Which is more than I've done in the last two months (I live on a 2 mile stretch of dirt road so I don't wash often).

#12 ·
I went to my local Honda dealer, Jones Honda in Lancaster, PA, regarding my hybrid battery deterioration... car is an 06 and had 141,000 miles on it. I was told at first they would cover 70% of the bill until the day of the repair then the service manager called me and said they are only covering 30% now... they made a mistake... so my bill went from $760 to $2300... I dislike dealers to begin with but now I can't stand them. I walked away and took my car.

they had my car on their computer at some point... and now I fear they updated my software. because I lost about 8-10mpg since the visit to the dealer.

I was hoping for a free battery and I fell way short.

is it worth pursuing another dealership??

which states have the warranties of 11yrs/162k??

thanks guys

#16 ·
IMA Battery extension

Hi - new to this group - hope you can help! Bought a 2011 Civic hybrid 6 months ago with 88,000 miles on it. Last month the check engine light came on and took it to the dealer and found that IMA needed to be replaced. I've read about the service bulletin but that doesn't refer to the 2011. Dealer is telling me that they will replace it at half price of $1500 - which is still outrageous!! Car barely has 92,000 miles on it now - the kicker is that I'm only the second owner of this car - the first being a Honda sales rep who drove this for business! It seems obvious to me that he was not driving the car in the correct way for a hybrid. Any ideas of any recourse for this?

#19 ·
Hi - new to this group - hope you can help! Bought a 2011 Civic hybrid 6 months ago with 88,000 miles on it. Last month the check engine light came on and took it to the dealer and found that IMA needed to be replaced. I've read about the service bulletin but that doesn't refer to the 2011. Dealer is telling me that they will replace it at half price of $1500 - which is still outrageous!! Car barely has 92,000 miles on it now - the kicker is that I'm only the second owner of this car - the first being a Honda sales rep who drove this for business! It seems obvious to me that he was not driving the car in the correct way for a hybrid. Any ideas of any recourse for this?
Your car should have come with a warranty booklet with an insert for emissions, but if the first owner didn't pass it on, the PDF for the emissions warranty is at http://owners.honda.com/Documentum/Warranty/Partslist/APL44260.pdf

The Battery is covered for at least 8 years, 100k miles. In ARB states (California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, NJ, NY, NM, RI, VT) it's 10 years, 150k.

Either way, the replacement should be covered and you shouldn't have to pay anything.

#18 ·
Every generic story or headline that I can find on this issue seems to make it sound like it's not state specific (California being the exception). Supposedly the 10yr/100K mile is now 11yr/137K miles and the 8yr/80K mile one was extended to 9yr/96K miles. That's straight from Consumer Reports (2013 article) and I've seen it in a few other spots as well.

#20 ·
Well after having the car for not even three days, wife tells me the CEL and IMA lights came on today, yay. It's a 2009 and only has 58K on it, so we'll be taking it down to Honda tomorrow and hopefully we aren't hassled regarding the warranty which, on ours, clearly states 8 years/80,000 miles. I even talked to a Honda service manager before buying it and he confirmed 8 years/80K miles.

#23 ·
My wife is the one driving it and she's reporting about 41mpg (per on board computer) after having the new battery installed. Today will be a good test since she has about a two hour round trip commute to school and back. We bought this thing to try and help her out with mileage, so we'll see. Even if she sees high 30's it would be an improvement over what she was getting. I'm getting nearly 42mpg in my Fiat 500 right now, so this hybrid had better perform :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.