Manual control of the electric motor (MIMA) now available - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Model Specific Civic Information > Civic Hybrid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

samwichse just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Manual control of the electric motor (MIMA) now available

Note: I have no financial interests in this project, but I have been both an alpha and now beta tester of it.

It's for the first gen Civic hybrid only (2003-2005)

retepsnikrep over at insightcentral has designed a device to intercept the signals the ECM sends the MCM and alter them giving whatever assist or regen you command (or disable assist/regen if you care to).

Imac&c hch1 civic - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

I've been using it for the past few months and it works great. Obviously a human with knowledge of the route can do a lot better at using the IMA system than a dumb algorithm guessing what is needed from pedal input and speed... for instance, I use the the longer stretches of my commute to charge the battery the most I can while staying in lean burn so I have plenty of SOC to add when it turns start/stop.

So far I've managed to improve my commute average from 49-51mpg to ~ 54.5mpg even while outside temperatures have been dropping.

The install is pretty easy for anyone with a pair of wire strippers/crimpers (though I'd probably solder the connections to make sure no vibration loosens them). The device goes in line with the single wire serial connection (two splices: one to the MCM side, one to the ECM side). Power comes from the +5V and GND connections also from the ECM, so two more splices. I wired mine with CAT5e, you could also use a 6' USB cable.

Here's the whole thing:

The PCB is simple and very tiny, the real magic is in Peter's software (he's been working on decoding the I2C signals from the first gen Insight for years now). It's so tiny that the entire device, buttons and all, mounts right to your e-brake or shifter knob like so:

Here it is installed... I've since moved it to the side so the assist/cancel/regen buttons are under my thumb instead.

I might add that Peter's OBDIIC&C gauge is an absolutely invaluable go-along with the IMAC&C.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-s...008_175209.jpg

Sam

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Dan
DanLexani just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Garage
crazy!

DanLexani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Andrew
volvo9 lives their life a quarter mile at a timevolvo9 lives their life a quarter mile at a timevolvo9 lives their life a quarter mile at a timevolvo9 lives their life a quarter mile at a timevolvo9 lives their life a quarter mile at a timevolvo9 lives their life a quarter mile at a time
Send a message via AIM to volvo9
That's awesome

Any hybrid I would buy will need to have a mod like this available. Full control of Regen and assist is where it's at.
volvo9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

samwichse just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Still loving this thing too .

It makes for some fun around town driving... seems to give you the best "kick in the pants" in 2nd gear.

Sam
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

JEREMY
jbart just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Awesome! This would definitely help maintain the battery better and give extra oomph when needed! Good job!
jbart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

rfss4 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Wow plz make this for the new ones
rfss4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in