8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Is this a sign of an IMA battery issue?

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  fileaudio 
#1 ·
Purchased my 2011 Civic Hybrid in September (traded in the 06 Odyssey). I've been averaging 42mpg for the last 6 weeks. One week in September and now consistently this week, the IMA has been "odd" when first starting up the car in the afternoon. It starts out with 6 or 7 bars on the battery indicator, and while it does indicate assist when accelerating, it doesnt appear to be recharging when braking. It also wont go into autostop when stopping at lights or stop signs. Eventually the battery will drop down to 2 bars or less, and 2 bars of charging will appear during both driving and standing still. but it doesnt seem to be doing any charging via the regenerative braking: charging stays solid at 2 bars whether I'm braking or not. This will continue for 10-15 minutes then suddenly the battery will jump up to 7 or 8 bars and everything starts working normally.

The time in September when I noticed this, it lasted for about 4-5 days then started working normally again. During that period and currently, my average mpg is struggling to stay at 38mpg.

Is this normal? Sign of an oncoming issue with the battery or IMA system?

#7 ·
that happens to my hybrid too, I noticed that strange behaviour, the battery bars go down and up very fast , I think it's more a visual refresh than really a change in the battery,
anybody has idea if the bars must change slowly or a suddenly decrease or increase is normal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.