Intake and HFP Exhaust sounds on a 1.3 hybrid - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Model Specific Civic Information > Civic Hybrid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 02:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Benny
Lyfe just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Garage
Intake and HFP Exhaust sounds on a 1.3 hybrid

When I first got my hybrid I was very curious about this.. so this thread is for the people out there that still are There are very little threads or information anywhere regarding these things, so maybe this will shed some light on it a bit.

Got my Fujita short ram intake installed today, here's how it sounds;

Sound of a HFP exhaust on a hybrid

Check out my build thread for some pictures
https://www.8thcivic.com/forums/car-b...k-go-away.html

Last edited by Lyfe; 11-04-2011 at 03:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Benny
Garage
Original engine without intake; sounds a lot deeper than completely stock hybrid because of my HFP exhaust and the fact that it echos in the garage lol

Stock exhaust and stock everything lol, my car back in feb

Compare the sounds Intake is most noticeable in higher RPMs, lower RPMs is a tad deeper. Exhaust is noticeable everywhere lol

Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 07:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Raymund
RMKH just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
I like the deep sound of the exhaust. Can you hear the hfp exhaust from a distance? If possible can you get a video of you driving by?
RMKH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Benny
Garage
It's no where near as loud as any of the other aftermarket exhaust drive bys you see with a civic Si or R18, but you can hear it from somewhat far away. You definitely won't be hearing it from blocks away though lol. I'll try to post a drive by video in a bit
Old 11-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Caleb
ItsOnlyASingleCam just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Do you ever get the response of "that's a hybrid?!" when you're telling people about your car? Thats what i think every time i see a video or picture of your car lol.

Edit: Why doesn't the starter on your car make any sound when you crank the engine? I'm not too intelligent when it comes to hybrids lol

Last edited by ItsOnlyASingleCam; 11-10-2011 at 10:52 PM.
ItsOnlyASingleCam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 10:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Benny
Garage
Yeah I actually get that all the time lmao. Pretty much from anyone I talk to or has asked me about my car say that :P The shop I was picking up my FD2 trunk from today asked me about the color because he's never seen it on a civic before and asked if it was a USA model or something, and when I told him it was only available on hybrids he was shocked and said he never would of guessed it was a hybrid haha.

I think it's because of the IMA motor. If you saw the CRZ start up then you'll notice that it doesn't either. At stop lights my hybrid will shut off the engine by itself and then when I start going again the engine will start up again in order to get higher MPG instead of idling for that time. The whole process of the engine shutting off and starting up again at stop lights is pretty smooth and happens in well under a second, so I assume that it links to the initial start of the engine as well. Sorry if that was a bit confusing, I'm not the best at explaining things lol
Old 11-11-2011, 12:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

Raymund
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyfe View Post
Yeah I actually get that all the time lmao. Pretty much from anyone I talk to or has asked me about my car say that :P The shop I was picking up my FD2 trunk from today asked me about the color because he's never seen it on a civic before and asked if it was a USA model or something, and when I told him it was only available on hybrids he was shocked and said he never would of guessed it was a hybrid haha.

I think it's because of the IMA motor. If you saw the CRZ start up then you'll notice that it doesn't either. At stop lights my hybrid will shut off the engine by itself and then when I start going again the engine will start up again in order to get higher MPG instead of idling for that time. The whole process of the engine shutting off and starting up again at stop lights is pretty smooth and happens in well under a second, so I assume that it links to the initial start of the engine as well. Sorry if that was a bit confusing, I'm not the best at explaining things lol
Heres a video that explains this. I was just watching this yesterday.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

Caleb
ItsOnlyASingleCam just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Great video, man! That explained the hybrid operation very well. Only the Japanese could come up with something like that lol
ItsOnlyASingleCam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 01:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

Mario
SoldMySRT8ForAHybrid just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
sorry to say but i think my farts sound lauder then any hybrid with any exhaust!! lol
SoldMySRT8ForAHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 09:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Benny
Garage
Lol the exhaust I got for my hybrid wasn't meant for the loudness, was just meant for the growl and maybe a bit louder so it's noticeable when you drive by. You can get a skunk2 or something if you want it loud :P
Old 11-13-2011, 07:34 AM   #11 (permalink)

Benny
Garage
Well.. the other night after I finished installing my JDM rear conversion I took it out along with a friend for a quick shoot. Managed to take a very bad video of a drive by attempt which failed because I forgot where I dropped him off to take the video and didn't really rev it at the right times lol. It pains me to see the acceleration of this thing But I was in S which I feel makes it not as quick as it could be. I was in S because I was trying to charge the batteries while driving lol.

Video layout;
1) Taken from the inside to hear the sound of the intake
2) Drive by.. not really. Dropped my friend off at a bus stop to take the video, made a U turn when possible and then ended up forgetting which bus stop he was at (I passed by a few before I reached him lol)
3) Kind of a drive by but I stopped to pick him up lol

The sound of the intake and exhaust is noticeable far away, close up the high pitch of the IMA drowns out everything lmao. Sounds like a spaceship

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bHKW...ature=youtu.be

Will take a proper video later
Old 11-14-2011, 10:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Raymund
NICE! Looks like im gonna have to save up for my hfp exhaust. btw conversion looks nice. thanks for the video.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

thx712517 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Such an interesting-sounding motor. The instant start amuses me. It's so weird.
thx712517 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in