"Distilled Water" indicator for 12V battery - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Model Specific Civic Information > Civic Hybrid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

jnthn98 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
"Distilled Water" indicator for 12V battery

Hi,

I was wondering if any HCH owners here checked/change their 12V battery before to give me some advice on this... A few months ago, I bought my 2008 HCH certificated pre-owned. When I went in for my first oil change today, the dealer said my battery needs to be changed. I don't know if he is pulling my leg, but I do see the "distill water" indicator on the top of the original battery. The car starts and runs fine so maybe it's dying slowly?

Is there anything I can do to "fix" the battery? It is a maintainance-free battery so I don't think I can add distilled water. So what is that indicator telling me to do?

The dealer wants $103 for the battery alone, while AutoZone wants $130+ for a 3rd party battery. I am hoping I can avoid getting a new 12V battery. I called American Honda and they said the 12V battery is not covered for my case.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Dan
DanLexani just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Garage
i'd have to look at mine to see. i think the dealer replaced mine a while a go though and it doesn't have that sight glass with the indicators anymore...

either way if you need a new battery but the one you have still gets the job done and you're not in a hurry to spend the money just wait it out a little longer until you notice yourself that the battery is on its way out.

DanLexani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

2100civic just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
I just did mine last month, on my 06 HCH. You can peel back the label to expose the filler caps and top it off with distilled water - Hey it's out of warranty anyways! And throw a set of jumper cables in the trunk; just in case.

Mine slowly died; had to jump start it if I left it parked for more than 3 days.

FYI; a group 51R battery will work and only cost ~$70 @ Costco, Sams, or Walmart
2100civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2011, 10:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Alexander Edwards
Combatspace just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Combatspace Send a message via Skype™ to Combatspace
Yanno, I just went in for an oil change yesterday and they told me to change the battery. I've actually been thinking about switching to an Odyssey battery setup...good or bad idea?
Combatspace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in