Official "What did you do to the R18 today" thread - Page 216 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Model Specific Civic Information > Civic Coupe And Sedan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2019, 04:56 PM   #4301 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Ed
EdNaviEx just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
So this happened last night. Was at a light when all of a sudden, the exhaust got loud. This morning, I got the back of the car on ramps to find this:

Behind the flange, you can see another "crack" right behind the 1st muffler (or resonator, I'm not sure). Anyway, it appears one can weld it back together. Would hate to replace both of them (mufflers). Urghhhhhh

Car is very loud to drive at certain rpm, at 3,000 it is unbearable.

EdNaviEx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2019, 08:03 PM   #4302 (permalink)

FuntanaS just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Garage
That stinks. I bet welding it would buy you a year or so. I wonder if you could buy that exhaust piece used for cheap? Aftermarket exhaust is junk.

FuntanaS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2019, 09:06 PM   #4303 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuntanaS View Post
That stinks. I bet welding it would buy you a year or so. I wonder if you could buy that exhaust piece used for cheap? Aftermarket exhaust is junk.
My mechanic friend advised me to get a junkyard part (OEM) for something like $20 each, but from what I've seen on fleabay, all of them looked murdered........ and yes, from what I've been told, aftermarket (even rockauto's expensive stuff) is crap. Best is OEM (aftermarket rusts a lot quicker). I've priced 2 Honda mufflers (washers/bolts/seals are separate) and they came out to a reasonable (to me) $356. I can't/shouldn't complain, I got 272,000 miles and 12 years out of my factory one, so................

Updates to come for sure. First my plan is to try to weld them (figure about $50-75 job). If that fails, I'll take the dive and get the OEM mufflers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2019, 02:20 PM   #4304 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Ed
So then, I had some options.
1) weld them. NO, b/c one doesn't know how long that will last, 1 month/year??? Screw that, I didn't want to revisit this issue.
2) aftermarket: NO, too many telling me (online or personally) that most are junk, even the expensive ones. Rockauto was quoting me something like $250-300 for both of them. can't remember exactly, but obviously that doesn't include installing them.
3) OEM: went this route b/c I got them i got them at internet price and the dealer only wanted $78 to install it. All told, about $500. Worth it? Not to all, but to me yes. I don't have to worry about it ever (lifetime warranty), it's an OEM part, I dont' have to waste my time looking for an indy shop. Going to a friend would mean missing the day (i don't have much time these days with work and such).

Winning!!

Lexus quiet once again, LOL.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:18 PM   #4305 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Ed
Did this yesterday when I had a few hours to spare. When I got the exhaust fixed, the service manager told me my car would fail state inspection b/c of the passenger side fog light not turning on and my horn sounded wonky (been damaged for a long time).

Let's get started.

Turns out, the polarity of the plug was reversed. Toyota does the same thing on their lighting wires, very annoying. Anyway, shaved one side of the plug so it would fit.

These are the 2nd set of Hella's trumpet horns. They are junk. I've been putting up with intermittent malfunctioning of them. Water gets in them and damages it. I purchased Accord dual horns a while back (few years ago) and forgot about them. Anyway, I was happy to finally rip these out.

Having bought brackets (passenger and drivers side) thinking I would need them. After ripping the Hellas out, I realized I didn't need them. A few holes in the chassis seemed to do the trick.

Decided to do this right, so I mounted the horns and used small plastic conduits to protect the wires. Like I said before, I don't like to revisit projects (mods / add-ons). Sized them up, cut them and sealed them up with electrical tape.

I love a clean install! Note the plastic covers that protect the end of the trumpet assembly. I hope this ensures longevity. BTW, they sound like the Hellas (big car sound). The factory horn our cars come with are pathetic. My original horn never worked rights and I hated how it sounded.

Sealed up:

I even bought a can of black rustoleum paint to prevent rust. The bolts I got were stainless steel but still.

Got back to work to check out my fogs, LOL. I know I have to aim them, but for today, this was good enough

EDIT: Car passed inspection.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:45 PM   #4306 (permalink)

Garage
Nice. I installed dual horns from a 2007 Odyssey and it sounds 1000x more legit than stock.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:16 PM   #4307 (permalink)

aawil24 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Last fall I think I replaced the other 2 engine/trans mounts since I took a while before I fixed the passenger side. Today I was pulling out and this happened. Thankfully I kept the original part. I definitely won't be buying this part in aftermarket again. It's way worse than the passenger side. I had to drive an hour home like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Official "What did you do to the R18 today" thread-img_6945.jpg  
aawil24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2019, 11:50 AM   #4308 (permalink)

SPi_06ex has their car in neutral right now
Woke up at 6am n did my valves, n put my intake. I don't think the previous owner did the valves, n it got 108k on it now,so it was about time.
SPi_06ex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2019, 02:39 PM   #4309 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPi_06ex View Post
Woke up at 6am n did my valves, n put my intake. I don't think the previous owner did the valves, n it got 108k on it now,so it was about time.
How many miles were on your engine?
Old 07-04-2019, 09:31 AM   #4310 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Ed
Pretty sure I mentioned that my starter is beginning to die. Intermittent slow starts and sometimes no crank at all. Installed a new Honda battery a few months ago so that's not it. Alternator checks out ok.

I was hoping I could score a new Denso starter, but all I can find are remans. Not a fan of remans (hit and miss reputation no matter who you buy them from). Even the OEM starter you can get at the dealer is a reman. New ones seem to be crap too ( according to reviews you can find here and there). However I did find one on fleabay and the guy swears it's brand new and NOT a reman. I don't believe him. My honda parts guys says any part number with "RNA" is a reman. Anyway, the pictures look very good and it is an OEM (even if reman). Warranties mean nothing if it means I have to constantly take it off. Anyway, b/c the R18 is a massive pain to replace the starter (I have dreams of one day swapping in an Si engine, I'm pretty certain it can be done, LOL) , getting a new (or reman) OEM would most likely be the best option. I would rather not deal with this issue again. I'll report back.

What's next? In a lapse of a year, I've replaced:
1) Front Calipers (seized) (~$200 b/c I got pads and new rotors, rockauto)
2) A/C compressor (~$300 on amazon)
3) Coils (~$200 rockauto, i got new plugs too)
4) Exhaust (B pipe back), Honda dealer ($500)
5) Rear shocks ($260, Jan 2018, Honda part online).

Next? I dunno, I want to say front struts as I've noticed the ride and bumps appear to sound and feel "hollow", no solid "thump" sound. I know that probably doesn't make any sense, but whatever. I'm still happy with my car.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:52 PM   #4311 (permalink)

Garage
I have had good luck buying used OEM starters. I bought a used starter for my 05 Accord for $25 from a local salvage yard. Still works great after several years.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:22 AM   #4312 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Ed
"new" starter came in. Looks new to me. Even if it's a reman, it's OEM........... good enough for me.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:32 PM   #4313 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Ed
Out with the old , in with the NEW.

Turns out, the starter I got WAS new. Mechanic friend (who has seen a ton of them over the years) said it was definitely not a reman. Very happy about that.

My engine and chassis are very clean. Here you can only see the intake under the engine, but I guess all that power washing the chassis during winter month paid off. Very little rust (no pics of that)

Tightening the starter bracket.

Like I said, a friend mostly did this. Nothing was removed except the front passenger tire. No intake, no exhaust...... no major component was removed. Everything took about an hour.

NOTE: the new starter sounds "nicer". Different pitch than what the old one (lower pitch). Maybe this is because it is new or simply I just don't remember what it sounded like when new.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #4314 (permalink)

Hunter Hoyt
VicBoy just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Haven't explored the 8thcivic community in a while and came across this fun thread, nice to know people are still up on their r18's
This morning I finally replaced the factory throttle body bolt bracket with nuts that fit the intake manifold.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Civic_I.M..jpg
Views:	8
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	193271

Other things to do:
Oil change
Replace cabin filter
Replace lower control arms
Replace drivers side tweeter
Replace coolant sensor
VicBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in