Might be moving to San Francisco! Need some advise - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Regional Honda Civic Owners - U.S. > California > California North

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Keith P just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Might be moving to San Francisco! Need some advise

Hey everyone,

My girlfriend and I have been discussing moving from NY to San Francisco. We are both around 30, no kids, and we can afford the move. We figured we should move while we were still young.

One question for all the locals. In all the forums I keep reading about carb exemption. Right off the bat, I know my car will not pass any smog inspections. Jrsc, rh, etc, and I can't easily go back to stock.

What's the deal with smog checks in north Cali? I'm okay with selling my civic for a car that is faster stock. Like an S2000, a Z, or a new muscle car. Can big power be made and still keep it legal? Any issues with dropped cars? Give me a heads up!

Are any cars exempt from smog checks? Are motor swaps legal?

I'll also be bringing my bikes. I assume my 72 cb500 race bike will be exempt. Do they have the same rules for new bikes like they do for cars?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
VIP Member

Strate L O S S just put it into 2nd gear on 8thcivicStrate L O S S just put it into 2nd gear on 8thcivicStrate L O S S just put it into 2nd gear on 8thcivic
keep NY tags if possible man. you will avoid a lot of stuff by doing that, carb exempt tint etc.

Strate L O S S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
VIP Member

Kevin-R18 Crew # 833
fatnhappy just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Garage
Ya keep ny tags if possible but if you can get proper hook ups from people here you can get your car to pass

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fatnhappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Steve N
SteveFA5 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P View Post
Hey everyone,

My girlfriend and I have been discussing moving from NY to San Francisco. We are both around 30, no kids, and we can afford the move. We figured we should move while we were still young.

One question for all the locals. In all the forums I keep reading about carb exemption. Right off the bat, I know my car will not pass any smog inspections. Jrsc, rh, etc, and I can't easily go back to stock.

What's the deal with smog checks in north Cali? I'm okay with selling my civic for a car that is faster stock. Like an S2000, a Z, or a new muscle car. Can big power be made and still keep it legal? Any issues with dropped cars? Give me a heads up!

Are any cars exempt from smog checks? Are motor swaps legal?

I'll also be bringing my bikes. I assume my 72 cb500 race bike will be exempt. Do they have the same rules for new bikes like they do for cars?
I doubt you can make big power and still keep it legal since you would usually need to open up the cat to free up most of the power.

Dropped cars, depends where you're at...... SF I really don't know, but I know some people in SJ/Fremont being hassled for being too low.

Cars are exempt if it's 1975 and older.

Also motorcycles are exempt from smog.

But like everyone said, keep NY tags if possible!
SteveFA5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 01:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
WTF

WTF just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFA5 View Post
Dropped cars, depends where you're at...... SF I really don't know, but I know some people in SJ/Fremont being hassled for being too low.
Dropped cars in SF is a pain in the @$$... most driveway inclines in SF are made for SUVs or some other bull... overall, yes you DO see dropped cars in SF, but their underbodies, front bumpers, side skirts, etc are all F'd!! if you have coils, consider raising back up for a while until you get used to the road conditions in SF.

I dont hear about ppl getting hassled about being low in SF, but Fremont (about 35 mins south of SF) used to have the issue when this one particular officer was around (lol... a LOOOOOT of the South Bay area guys have unfortunately encountered this guy). He would ALWAYS be citing modded cars... even for front tint or even not having front plates, THEN on top of it he'll find other excuses to pop your hood to find other "illegal" mods. But the word is that he is no longer around
WTF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 02:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Steve N
SteveFA5 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
But word is his son is being trained -__________-
SteveFA5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 03:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

Kaotic Lazagna just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
We talkin about the same cop that pulls over other cops who aren't on duty? Yeah, my friend got pulled over for his front tint by that officer.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 03:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

Aaron
sk33ny should be doing the 1/4 Mile in the 12'ssk33ny should be doing the 1/4 Mile in the 12'ssk33ny should be doing the 1/4 Mile in the 12'ssk33ny should be doing the 1/4 Mile in the 12'ssk33ny should be doing the 1/4 Mile in the 12'ssk33ny should be doing the 1/4 Mile in the 12'ssk33ny should be doing the 1/4 Mile in the 12'ssk33ny should be doing the 1/4 Mile in the 12'ssk33ny should be doing the 1/4 Mile in the 12'ssk33ny should be doing the 1/4 Mile in the 12'ssk33ny should be doing the 1/4 Mile in the 12's
Garage
Send a message via AIM to sk33ny
Hahaha, I had no idea Officer Rosette was this well known.

I've had modded/lowered/illegal parts on all of my cars and have done well so far. But you have to be smart about it. As long as you don't drive like an ass hat every where you should be fine.

And like everybody else says, keep the NY tags for as long as possible. It saves you a lot of hassle.

Last edited by sk33ny; 07-25-2011 at 03:47 AM.
sk33ny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 12:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

exotisus just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Send a message via AIM to exotisus Send a message via MSN to exotisus Send a message via Yahoo to exotisus Send a message via Skype™ to exotisus
HA, Officer Rosette. He gave me a speeding ticket once..
Which was pure bull****.
exotisus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in