DIY - Hood Dampers - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > 8th Gen Civic TECH Exchange > Articles - Body

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
VIP Member

obert likez to fill up with red trolleyobert likez to fill up with red trolleyobert likez to fill up with red trolleyobert likez to fill up with red trolleyobert likez to fill up with red trolleyobert likez to fill up with red trolleyobert likez to fill up with red trolleyobert likez to fill up with red trolleyobert likez to fill up with red trolleyobert likez to fill up with red trolleyobert likez to fill up with red trolley
DIY - Hood Dampers

Ok so here is my review and DIY for the 2006 to 2010 Civic FAVES Hood Dampers that I picked up from (Robear Racing) at a great price.

So it came very well packed and when I pulled it out of the box, it felt heavy as in very well built and not light and cheap. Also I know there are kits that only have one damper but let me tell you two is the only way to go.

All of the parts are labeled with stickers so, you don't have to guess were they go, the longer bolts with the nuts are used for the fender bracket and the short bolts with the washer are used for the hood bracket. It also comes with a little bit of grease to apply to the inside of the damper ends where they hook up to the brackets to keep them from rusting.

It comes with installation instructions with pics that are really easy to understand, oh and a decal that says FAVES. I did notice that in the installation pics they used different bolts then what comes with the kit.

Now on to the DIY with lots of pics and this was installed on FA5Chick's 07 Si Sedan, the mounting points on the fenders could be different on a Coupe. Here are the tools I used:a razor blade (not in this pic), flat head and Phillips screw drivers, magnet stick, fender clip popper tool, 10mm wrench and a 10mm ratchet and deep socket.

I started on the left side first and I removed the three plastic tabs that hold the plastic part on the fender and one of them will not be reused.
I took it all the way off to make it easier to cut part of it to make the fender mounting bracket sit on there right. (You do not need to cut anything on the Coupe)

I just used a razor blade to trim the plastic off to make it flat so, the bracket sits flat on it. Don't worry, after the bracket is on you can not see were you cut the plastic to make it work

You will have to remove the cooling plate also to get to the nuts for the fender brackets. In the second pic were I am pointing, there is a lip on the cooling plate that needs to go under the grill lip when you reinstall it. I am saying this because it is really easy to just put the plate back on and leave that part on the top of the grill

Now on this part, this is what I found for me to be the easiest way to get the cooling plate and the mounting bolt and nut all put on together. I will do this part in steps for you.......

1. I cut the end of the hole on the cooling plate so I could have the mounting bracket nut and bolt put together loosely. I could not get to the nut on with the cooling plate in place so, I cut it so I could slide around the bolt with the nut on it already.

2. I used a magnet stick to hold the nut to get it under and lined up so, I could get the bolt in through the bracket you can see a better pic of the nut on the end of the magnet when I do the right side later. It took a couple of tries but I could not find a easier way to get the nut under there to get the bolt in. I just got the nut started on the bolt and left everything loose so, I could get everything in place before I tighten everything down. You can also see in the pic what the end of the cooling plate looked like before I cut the hole.

Now on to the top part which is a lot easier to do then the fender mount due to having a hard time getting the nut on the bolt ! You just need to take one 10mm bolt out of the top so you can put the bracket on.

Here are all of the parts you will need and I left this stuff loose too, it will make it easier to get the damper on the bottom and upper mount.

Here are a few pics of the damper mounting points that you need to put a little bit of the grease that comes with the kit in the hole of each part to keep it from rusting. Each end is adjustable, but I did not need to adjust either end to get them on right.

Now time to put the damper on the brackets. Do whatever one you want to do first. You just push the ends on to the balls and the will snap on to them.

After I got the top on, I tightened the top down and left the bottom loose still so, I can slide the cooling plate on later, here is one pic for you with it installed with the bottom loose still and the cooling plate still off.

Now on to the right side witch is the same as the left but you just have the washer bottle top to deal with. So I will not go into detail like I did for the left side I will just show pics with a couple of pointers that I think will help out. You have to cut the plastic with the razor to get the fender mount to work just like on the left side.

Make sure you get the washer bottle neck back together right.

Once you have the hood mount in place, tight, and the bottom fender mounts on but still loose you can reinstall the cooling plate and this is were cutting the holes on it makes it a lot easier to put back on. You just slide it under the fender bracket and then you can tighten the left and right fender mounts. And since you can not get to the bottom nut because cooling plate is back on, I just used the flat head screw driver and wedged it in between the bracket to put pressure on the bolt and nut to get it to tighten up. Once it started to get tight pull the screw driver out and tighten it all the way down.

I also pulled out the stock hood prop so it it no longer there and looks a lot better.

Please make sure everything is tight and you should not have to worry about the hood not being lined up because you did not take both of the bolts out of the hood hinge.
Here are a few pics of what it looks like all done.

The whole install took about 1hr and the hardest part was getting the nuts on the bolts for the fender mounts. It opens and closes really smooth and these dampers are the best ones I have seen due to the quality and the mounting bracket being held on by bolts and not double sided tape like some of the others. Just take your time and you will do just fine and if you have any questions fill free to ask and I will answer them the best I can. I will never take these off the car so I did not have a problem with cutting the plastic parts and once the fender brackets are on you will never see were you cut it. Also on the hood mounts I just made sure the bolt and washer was right in the middle of it and I tightened it down.

I would like to thank Rob over at (RobearRacing.com) for letting me do this review for him and also I would like to thank FA5Chick for taking all the pics for me !!!!!

Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in