8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Ebay turbo

34K views 70 replies 47 participants last post by  thefilthyphreshFA5 
#1 ·
Well i am completely new to turbos as far as accually owning a car with one. I have a 06 SI. Ive tried to do a search on here and havent came back with anything that has answered my question.

To the question...
Im really looking into gettin a turbo. From what ive read i should deffinatly get some type of a kit instead of building it from diff sources myself. I see kits on ebay for around 500 to 800$ that seem to be decent. If i was to buy one of these kits would there be anything extra i would need? I read somewhere that i would need a damper kit and upgraded clutch too? I dont know what kind of sense that makes if any.
The kit im looking at now includes:
• T28 Turbocharger
• Intercooler 27x6.5x3 (Direct Bolt-on)
• 2.00" Aluminized Mandrel Bent Piping (Total of 4)
• High Pressure Silicon Hose (Total of 10)
• Clamps (Total of 14)
• Cast Iron Turbo Manifold
• Cast Iron Turbo outlet dump pipe
• 2.25 Stainless Steel turbo elbow
• Blow Off Valve
• Intake tube
• Intake cone
• Intake sensor flange
• Steel Braided Oil Feed Line
• Oil Return Line
• Oil Pan Fitting
• Necessary Vacuum Tee's
• Necessary Vacuum Lines
• Necessary Gaskets and Bolts
• Necessary Hardware

Anything thats necessary to get with this if i was to get this kit?
Thanks for any replys.

See less See more
#7 ·
the stock internals will hold. i've been boosted for 2 years. It's the quality of the products u purchase that will eventually destroy ur motor, and perhaps do more than just destroy ur car. Companies spend countless R&D before they release their products to ensure quality, performance, and most of all...safety.

#8 ·
Well can anyone recommend a decently CHEAP full turbo setup?
I've only had the car for about 2 months. So I deff don't wanna do anything at all to hurt the motor. Just remember.. I do deliver pizzas (yes I bought a si just to deliver in :) haha) so I don't have all kinds of money Layin around so have to do it as cheap as possible and still be dependable.

#10 · (Edited)
^ What he said...

Don't buy an ebay kit, you'll be throwing away that money, cuz the kit is crap, and it will take your car down with it.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/forc...ue-cost-force-induction-what-did-you-pay.html

Here's the True cost of Forced Induction thread, you'll see what it actually takes to go the turbo route. You've gotta pay to play, and if you're trying to go "cheap" on anything when it comes to mods, you're only gonna end up spending more money to fix what should've been done the right way the first time.

If you can't afford a good turbo setup + maintenance, then go with Bolt-ons. They'll probably make more power than that ebay turbo kit, anyway...

#12 ·
^ What he said...

Don't buy an ebay kit, you'll be throwing away that money, cuz the kit is crap, and it will take your car down with it.

Look up the real cost of Forced induction thread and you'll see what it actually takes to turbo. If you don't have the money, don't do it. Go with bolt ons til you can afford it.
or just totally not do ANYTHING until u save up for it. Do it right the first time man. My G35 is stock till this day and ive had it brand new since 04' cause i want to have a baller ass twin-turbo setup. the Kits go for 6g's. plus i dont want to do the install myself so i have someone to blame when something goes awry. i could have put my down payment for the SI towards the twin-turb, but i need a DD and a TT G35 aint gonna cut it lol

#17 ·
Exactly. ^

You can find all of those things used for decent prices in the For Sale section if you have the patience to look for them. You could probably get I/H/E plus flashpro for $1500 or less if you look. That'll give you around 220whp to play around with, and it will be A LOT more fun with the flashro to bring the most out of it.

#18 ·
just read damn near everything on this site before you spend money on anything.

there is info on here for every single modification you can do to your car, just please do your research before you give the rest of us a bad name by installing a no name turbo kit you found on ebay.

#21 ·
1. No.

2. Nah, seriously.

3. If you buy any Ebay-like turbo kit I will 100% guarantee you that you will run into MULTIPLE problems.

4. Save up MINIMUM of 7,000 dollars. Then, we will guide you towards a turbo.

Just a heads up man! Don't want you damaging your expensive car.

#24 ·
4. Save up MINIMUM of 7,000 dollars. Then, we will guide you towards a turbo.
^This...if you can round up the cash for look into SRTs revised CUT kit...its a beast and includes absolultely everything you could possible need to run a turbo setup safely...would love to go that route myself just don't have the funds and want to pay the car off first before I dump any serious cash into her

#26 ·
What everyone is saying with varying levels of kindness is that an ebay kit is not a wise idea. Say you buy an ebay exhaust, and it sucks...no big deal cause really, exhaust is just a pipe and without it you just get to pollute the air, lose power or die by monoxide poisoning. A bad turbo though is different as you're pressurizing air, shoving it into your engine and hoping you have the right mix of fuel, not to mention you drastically increase the heat the engine endures.

Think of it this way, if a turbo kit could be had for less than a grand, nobody would bother with going all motor. Realistically, I do hear 7k is about right, since there's a lot of work to be done than just bolting it up.

#29 ·
Seriously, I get that everyone on here is giving you a hard time, but do yourself a favor and don't buy an ebay kit. There's a reason those kits are so cheap.

I implore you to use this site as a resource -- there are tons of reviews for parts and companies on here from tons of different members. Read the reviews, become knowledgeable on the products, and then use your own discretion to decide what parts best work for you and will be of quality. Don't just throw cheap parts on your car because its all you can afford.

Always remember that you have to pay to play, and quality is remembered long after cost is forgotten!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.