high mileage 07 SI - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Site Stuff > 8thCivic.com Conquers the Dragon VII - September 6th-9th, 2012

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2017, 10:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

teamjnz just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Question high mileage 07 SI

Hey guys,

I have been driving my car since is had 4500 miles on it. Now I am pushing 270,000. It is still in good shape... I am still running on the original clutch and preparing to get it changed. She needs the valves adjusted since I can hear them at a low RPM and accelerating. Doesn't really use any oil and can still get a move on when needed.

I do have a question about other things that may need to be replace. This car has really been a good car. I have never had any major repairs and it still runs great. I know things are getting old on it and will need some repairs soon, especially a clutch. So this leads me to a question.

With this many high miles I figure along with the valve adjustment, clutch, water pump and probably the timing chain and the things that go with that it may turn into a money bucket. So i am thinking about one of those used import low mile engines. I have seen them from around $300. I figure one of those motors would be less than all of the other repairs and have way lower miles than what the current motor has.

Any thoughts??

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2018, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

empty pockets has their car in neutral right now
pretty cool to see these high miles. I have 228k(new clutch.transrebuilt.slave.2015)
a change out of motor would be cheaper.
question is: does that motor need timing parts/WP changed out too?
for me. depends on how clean your motor (under hood) is. do a compression test. if you have a healthy motor would be a shame to ditch it.
valve adjustment you can do yourself. very very easy.
if your changing out clutch. could easily just pull motor/trans together.

a lower miles motor would be cheaper and quicker though. that's the answer if your looking for it.

empty pockets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2018, 03:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

teamjnz just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Sorry about not responding to this post earlier. I didn't realize I had a reply. I have now turned on notifications.

I am more serious about doing some work on this car now. I have not yet done any work to it yet other than I am currently replacing the A/C parts, compressor, evap valve and condenser. Youtube really helped out on the evap valve!! I would have been stuck or ended up breaking something out of frustration. But I got it replaced, only the condenser now once I get the correct part. Strange the sedan and coupe condensers are different.

The car now has 282K on the odometer. I have looked around for the lower mileage engines again and it seems like I can't find a cheap low mileage engine now. So I need to break into this motor. Timing chain kit and sprockets, clutch. I saw a Youtube video for replacing the time chain and heard the same noise I hear in my car. The intake cam sprocket. Go to 3 minutes 15 seconds. That is the noise I have..

Here is the url for the video. You will need to cut and paste.
youtube.com/watch?v=wulDUkpokjY&t=923s

I am thinking I need to do the timing chain first and then the clutch since it isn't slipping.

Any suggestions on where to get good parts? Thanks
teamjnz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

empty pockets has their car in neutral right now
you can always use the k20a2 engine from the rsx type s. use your throttle body. your computer will run it.
or the k24a2 from the TSX. (best motor ever) only need crv psgnr side bracket and change out 2 sensors to swap it.
ebay, craigslist. facebook marketplace for motors..
empty pockets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in