First drive on the Dragon - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Site Stuff > 8thCivic.com Conquers the Dragon VII - September 6th-9th, 2012

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Dan
Thunder just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
First drive on the Dragon

So... I had to go from Raleigh to Atlanta this past weekend to start a new job. The direct route there is I-40 to I-85 through Charlotte and on to Atlanta. I, of course, chose instead I-40 to the Tail of the Dragon, then directly south to Atlanta. It took me about 12 hours vs 6, but was a LOT more fun.

The Dragon is way cool, even when you're as unlucky as I was, arriving there as it started to drizzle. Surprisingly, US-129 through the Chattahoochee forest was fun as well - more gaps between turns, but twisties even so.

I even averaged about 32.5 MPG on the tank that included the Dragon. I'm guessing that was partially due to going down out of the mountains, but I spent so much time in VTEC or hard on the brakes... the Si is just an amazing combination of performance and fuel economy. For the way back from ATL, I had to first stop at IKEA and load up with several hundred pounds of furniture... yet averaged 33.77 MPG (taking the boring interstate route).

Other random note... the Buckhead area of Atlanta is rather upscale. I walked out of the office Wednesday, and by the entrance of the building next door was this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Veyron_16x12.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	39776
The Roller and R8 in front of it paled by comparison.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2011, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
VIP Member

Greg Porter
greg porter just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Glad you enjoyed it. My first run on the dragon I intended to go slow but got a little carried away. It's a real blast to drive and the Si handles it very well. Stay safe

greg porter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2011, 11:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Nathan
07LX has an enormous 8thcivic turbo07LX has an enormous 8thcivic turbo07LX has an enormous 8thcivic turbo07LX has an enormous 8thcivic turbo07LX has an enormous 8thcivic turbo07LX has an enormous 8thcivic turbo07LX has an enormous 8thcivic turbo07LX has an enormous 8thcivic turbo07LX has an enormous 8thcivic turbo07LX has an enormous 8thcivic turbo07LX has an enormous 8thcivic turbo
If you go again, stay in 2nd, little brake and see what that feels like.....
07LX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2011, 12:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Keith ('14 Fiesta ST)
K757 runs yellow lights with gleeK757 runs yellow lights with gleeK757 runs yellow lights with gleeK757 runs yellow lights with gleeK757 runs yellow lights with gleeK757 runs yellow lights with gleeK757 runs yellow lights with gleeK757 runs yellow lights with gleeK757 runs yellow lights with gleeK757 runs yellow lights with gleeK757 runs yellow lights with glee
Garage
nice. If you are smooth, you won't hardly touch your brakes on the dragon. It truly is a skill set that comes with experience.

I'm looking to go in July for a few days as a warm up for the Sept meet.

edit: comments above are for non-experienced dragon drivers. it is very easy to enter the corners too fast.

Last edited by K757; 05-20-2011 at 07:59 AM.
K757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
etf

etf lives their life a quarter mile at a timeetf lives their life a quarter mile at a timeetf lives their life a quarter mile at a timeetf lives their life a quarter mile at a timeetf lives their life a quarter mile at a time
Driving an Si on the Dragon involves a lot of: wind out second gear, bump the rev limiter, brake HARD, turn in and roll on throttle, repeat. There are some corners that you can carry your speed in 3rd gear (above 6000RPM).

Man! I never was able to get that kind of fuel mileage with my Si! I averaged 34mpg with my Fit when we were up there a couple of weeks ago. We're getting the Fits dialed in for Sept.

etf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2011, 07:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
etf

etf lives their life a quarter mile at a timeetf lives their life a quarter mile at a timeetf lives their life a quarter mile at a timeetf lives their life a quarter mile at a timeetf lives their life a quarter mile at a time
Quote:
Originally Posted by K757 View Post
nice. If you are smooth, you won't hardly touch your brakes on the dragon. It truly is a skill set that comes with experience.

Awesome! Let us know when you are going to be there. We can meet you and hang out for a while.
etf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2011, 07:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Purpul Plane 4ever!

Nomar06 is teh bbq kingNomar06 is teh bbq kingNomar06 is teh bbq kingNomar06 is teh bbq kingNomar06 is teh bbq kingNomar06 is teh bbq kingNomar06 is teh bbq kingNomar06 is teh bbq kingNomar06 is teh bbq kingNomar06 is teh bbq kingNomar06 is teh bbq king
Send a message via AIM to Nomar06
Firrari
Nomar06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

Keith ('14 Fiesta ST)
K757 runs yellow lights with gleeK757 runs yellow lights with gleeK757 runs yellow lights with gleeK757 runs yellow lights with gleeK757 runs yellow lights with gleeK757 runs yellow lights with gleeK757 runs yellow lights with gleeK757 runs yellow lights with gleeK757 runs yellow lights with gleeK757 runs yellow lights with gleeK757 runs yellow lights with glee
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by etf View Post
Awesome! Let us know when you are going to be there. We can meet you and hang out for a while.
will do when plans get finalized. I'm looking at a Sunday night arrival, drive Monday & Tuesday and head home on Wednesday morning. I am expecting much clearer roads than the weekend, including less patrols
Old 05-20-2011, 08:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
VIP Member

Greg Porter
greg porter just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Quote:
Originally Posted by K757 View Post

edit: comments above are for non-experienced dragon drivers. it is very easy to enter the corners too fast.

Very true. On one of my first runs I came up to the double dips, and going over the first hump the car went light and I felt like I was going to lose it. Luckily it settled and I was on my way...I slowed down a bit after that
greg porter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Dan
Thunder just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar06 View Post
Firrari
I hope that was a joke. Bugatti Veyron.

Ah - comment on the FitRarri on the KillBoy screencap. Good one.

Last edited by Thunder; 05-21-2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Loose nut behind the keyboard - I didn't look at the previous post.
Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

James
MischiefSI just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
how big is the usual turn out?
MischiefSI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #12 (permalink)

Keith ('14 Fiesta ST)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MischiefSI View Post
how big is the usual turn out?
don't know for sure, but estimate on 40 cars
Old 06-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

pravn just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
So... I had to go from Raleigh to Atlanta this past weekend to start a new job. The direct route there is I-40 to I-85 through Charlotte and on to Atlanta. I, of course, chose instead I-40 to the Tail of the Dragon, then directly south to Atlanta. It took me about 12 hours vs 6, but was a LOT more fun.

The Dragon is way cool, even when you're as unlucky as I was, arriving there as it started to drizzle. Surprisingly, US-129 through the Chattahoochee forest was fun as well - more gaps between turns, but twisties even so.

I even averaged about 32.5 MPG on the tank that included the Dragon. I'm guessing that was partially due to going down out of the mountains, but I spent so much time in VTEC or hard on the brakes... the Si is just an amazing combination of performance and fuel economy. For the way back from ATL, I had to first stop at IKEA and load up with several hundred pounds of furniture... yet averaged 33.77 MPG (taking the boring interstate route).

Other random note... the Buckhead area of Atlanta is rather upscale. I walked out of the office Wednesday, and by the entrance of the building next door was this:
Attachment 39776
The Roller and R8 in front of it paled by comparison.
The first drive on the Dragon is rather interesting and exciting; i still can feel the tinge of excitement that is had during my first drive. I was on my civic gx and it handled pretty well.
pravn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

DRTYCIVSI just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Man I wish I could go. Just started new job so can't take leave. Can't wait till next year. Just got 08 Civic Si Sedan 4 Months ago and ready to put it to the challenge.
DRTYCIVSI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #15 (permalink)

James
fa5guy just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
i'm from missouri ..and for that reason i have never heard of this place..it sounds like a lot of fun...but as dumb is this will soud.......where is it?
fa5guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

Keith ('14 Fiesta ST)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fa5guy View Post
i'm from missouri ..and for that reason i have never heard of this place..it sounds like a lot of fun...but as dumb is this will soud.......where is it?
https://www.8thcivic.com/forums/8thci...d-vi-info.html
Old 03-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #17 (permalink)

Joey
HungFg2 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Send a message via AIM to HungFg2
I hope I can go, even just at some point, not even for a meet or anything, stupid work keeping me home lol
HungFg2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

Spalding just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
My first run on the dragon I was stuck behind a crew of mini vans ... Best time to go is the middle of the week when no one is there!

Lane control is key.
Spalding is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #19 (permalink)

Papabear just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding View Post
My first run on the dragon I was stuck behind a crew of mini vans ... Best time to go is the middle of the week when no one is there!

Lane control is key.

Papabear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #20 (permalink)

khall88 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
how much are the rooms for the weekend

khall88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in