High Milage 09 SI - Tires recommendation - Page 2 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Civic Style > Wheel And Tire Upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 01:15 AM   #21 (permalink)

Just googling the Motivo's... They seem pretty interesting and may be a good all around DD tire as well.
PANGES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #22 (permalink)

Just got off the phone with a sale rep. For tire rack and he said as of nov. 7th they won't be available for 60 to 90 days. The continental dws tires.
vtecpowerc5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecpowerc5 View Post
Just got off the phone with a sale rep. For tire rack and he said as of nov. 7th they won't be available for 60 to 90 days. The continental dws tires.
Eek. If you really want them, try looking at local shops and see if they'll price match tirerack. I spoke with a shop that I've dealt with before, and they said they can get them. Most likely they'll get them from somewhere that has leftover stock?
Old 11-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #24 (permalink)

David
The 225/45r17 is available
David21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David21 View Post
The 225/45r17 is available
I've never run sizes other than stock. Are there any downsides to running 225 instead of 215?
philfry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philfry View Post
I've never run sizes other than stock. Are there any downsides to running 225 instead of 215?
Not really. You'll have a bit more contact patch. Worst case, your gas mileage may go down a tiny bit, but I doubt it's hardly noticeable. The stock wheels are wide enough to support the extra size also.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #27 (permalink)

David
There are no noticeable downfalls only a slightly larger contact patch as a benefit. The tire weighs pretty much the same, over the life of the tire you may lose 2-3mpg. That's over the 40-50,000 miles it lasts.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #28 (permalink)

I think i'm going to go with the General G-MAX AS-03. They don't have as good of a warranty as the DWS and Motivos but they are priced well. I currently have the DWS and they lasted about 35k-40k for me.

The wider DWS runs about $50 more for the set of 4. I don't think you can wrong with any of the UHP tires mentioned.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #29 (permalink)

DWS are out of stock but not discontinued.

The DWS are out of stock but not discontinued which are 2 totally different things.

Discontinued means are not longer made.

Out of stock means they do not have them right now and will get more when the factory makes and sends more.

I am waiting for them as well along with hundreds of people which have at least 2 months waiting and have to wait one more to get them.

Continental told me they couldn't keep up with the high demand and ran out of them and are making thousands and will start shipping out like 25,000 by mid December.

I hope it doesn't snow before then; I am also looking at the Michelin Primacy which is not as good on the snow and costs at least 50% more

Continental is losing tons of money by not having them available this winter when is the season to buy new tires due to the snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANGES View Post
They're discontinued on both tirerack and discounttiredirect. Anyone know other good sources? The michelin pilot super sport are offering a rebate right now also.

Last edited by JSMexUsa; 11-18-2012 at 08:56 AM.
JSMexUsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #30 (permalink)

David
they are in production, you are correct.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSMexUsa View Post
The DWS are out of stock but not discontinued which are 2 totally different things.

Discontinued means are not longer made.

Out of stock means they do not have them right now and will get more when the factory makes and sends more.

I am waiting for them as well along with hundreds of people which have at least 2 months waiting and have to wait one more to get them.

Continental told me they couldn't keep up with the high demand and ran out of them and are making thousands and will start shipping out like 25,000 by mid December.

I hope it doesn't snow before then; I am also looking at the Michelin Primacy which is not as good on the snow and costs at least 50% more

Continental is losing tons of money by not having them available this winter when is the season to buy new tires due to the snow.
Oops! I meant out of stock. No clue why I wrote discontinued. lol.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlryn View Post
I've been browsing through and seen so many recommendations for tires but nothing pertaining to my particular problem. I drive a LOT. Just past 95k miles on my baby.
I do about 120+ miles a day just to and from work and not counting the additional miles during the weekends, evenings, picking up the kids from school/daycare and so on. I seem to live in my car!

getting your monies worth out of it that's for sure! I'm in the same boat-- gonna put 28-29k on my car this year...

I need tires right about now too but I'm going cheap for the winter-- Achilles ATR sport-- $76 a piece for 225-45-17 (they're going on my Evo8 enkeis)

my bro had these tires on his STI and they were actually really solid for the price.. hope I have the same luck with them!
Fa5terYo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #33 (permalink)

Hi, everyone

Please excuse me to ask this question on this thread. I’m trying to learn as well what good tires to get for a size 215/45 R17 All Season. I bought Goodyear Eagle GT from TireRack that has a rating of 91W and load range of XL. I love the tires with its grip on the rain and snow, but after a year, the tires were a disappointment due to cabin noise. I believe the reason is the load range of XL. I replaced with General Altimax with a rating of 87H and UTQG 440 back last July. I am disappointed again because the moment I had these installed, there is a noticeable cabin noise from these tires to the point I “really” have to wear ear plugs. The installation did the wheel alignment and tire balance.

What I’ve been noticing here that there are a lot of 8thgens recommend Continental ExtremeContact DWS speed rating: 91W load index: XL. I want to purchase this but I don’t want to be disappointed again with tire noise. I rotate and inflate my tires properly on a regular basis; I don’t know what I am not doing correctly. I don’t want to go back to OEM tires: they are expensive!!!

Could anyone help me with this?
8Renovatio8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #34 (permalink)

David
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Renovatio8 View Post
Hi, everyone

Please excuse me to ask this question on this thread. Iím trying to learn as well what good tires to get for a size 215/45 R17 All Season. I bought Goodyear Eagle GT from TireRack that has a rating of 91W and load range of XL. I love the tires with its grip on the rain and snow, but after a year, the tires were a disappointment due to cabin noise. I believe the reason is the load range of XL. I replaced with General Altimax with a rating of 87H and UTQG 440 back last July. I am disappointed again because the moment I had these installed, there is a noticeable cabin noise from these tires to the point I ďreallyĒ have to wear ear plugs. The installation did the wheel alignment and tire balance.

What Iíve been noticing here that there are a lot of 8thgens recommend Continental ExtremeContact DWS speed rating: 91W load index: XL. I want to purchase this but I donít want to be disappointed again with tire noise. I rotate and inflate my tires properly on a regular basis; I donít know what I am not doing correctly. I donít want to go back to OEM tires: they are expensive!!!

Could anyone help me with this?
Being that your main concern is road noise I'd recommend the michelin primacy mxm4
Old 11-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANGES View Post
Just googling the Motivo's... They seem pretty interesting and may be a good all around DD tire as well.
I have the Nitto Motivos from DTD and I love them. Dead silent, great wet traction and seem to handle fairly well on dry surfaces...obviously not as good as a performance summer tire but these should last a while with a new tire compound and 560 treadwear rating. Hoping to not have to worry about tires for a while.

I had the Conti DWS and Nitto NeoGen previously. Liked the DWS but they wore out quicker than I would have liked even though i rotated religiously and the sidewall is flaccid. The NeoGen was okay but not great.

I read plenty of blogs regarding the Motivo and decided to gamble on the Nitto again even though I didn't really love/hate the NeoGen. Very happy so far.
cynicaldiogenes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicaldiogenes View Post
I have the Nitto Motivos from DTD and I love them. Dead silent, great wet traction and seem to handle fairly well on dry surfaces...obviously not as good as a performance summer tire but these should last a while with a new tire compound and 560 treadwear rating. Hoping to not have to worry about tires for a while.

I had the Conti DWS and Nitto NeoGen previously. Liked the DWS but they wore out quicker than I would have liked even though i rotated religiously and the sidewall is flaccid. The NeoGen was okay but not great.

I read plenty of blogs regarding the Motivo and decided to gamble on the Nitto again even though I didn't really love/hate the NeoGen. Very happy so far.
Did you have the stock all season tires? Are the Motivos at least better in dry handling than those? How long did the stock tires last you, and how long did the DWS last you?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicaldiogenes View Post
I have the Nitto Motivos from DTD and I love them. Dead silent, great wet traction and seem to handle fairly well on dry surfaces...
Any idea what the motivos are like in winter? The only thing holding me back on those is I haven't heard how they hold up for winter traction.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #38 (permalink)

Currently running Bridgestone Potenza 970as Pole Position. Loving them compared to the stock tires I had. The Bridgestones feel a lot more responsive and gripper on dry / wet surfaces, and have yet to try them on snow. Only downside is it seems like there's a bit more road noise. Not a whole lot but more noticeable on bumps / holes. I know they're a bit more expensive but I wanted to give them a try.

When in doubt DWS
playerrr is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #39 (permalink)

David
What tire to go with also depends on where you live, how bad and long the winters/summers are etc..
Old 11-20-2012, 08:18 AM   #40 (permalink)

I live in Maryland and the cold weather now is making the noise worst. I drive to and from work Mon-Fri 46 miles daily

Thank you, David. michelin primacy mxm4 looks cheaper and with the UTQG 500, it should last a little longer than the OEM. It even has a $70 rebate

Last edited by 8Renovatio8; 11-20-2012 at 08:20 AM.
8Renovatio8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.