The Official Wheel Fitment Manual - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Civic Style > Wheel And Tire Upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2009, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
VIP Member

ig @ je5hua
JeShUa gets 3000 mpgJeShUa gets 3000 mpgJeShUa gets 3000 mpgJeShUa gets 3000 mpgJeShUa gets 3000 mpgJeShUa gets 3000 mpgJeShUa gets 3000 mpgJeShUa gets 3000 mpgJeShUa gets 3000 mpgJeShUa gets 3000 mpgJeShUa gets 3000 mpg
The Official Wheel Fitment Manual

Read The entire first post before asking a question
This thread is in response to "will these wheels fit my car" threads and hopes to answer any and all questions. Although, if you have a truly perplexing question, you may need to purchase your wheels and tires of choice and show us how you made it work. In most cases its not a "will this fit", but How do I make this fit? Most people on these forums have extremely safe fitment and wonder if it will fit.

Any offset close to stock will be laughed at. Here are the main things considered while looking to see if a wheel/tire combination will fit inside of your fenders:
-What suspension / height you are at (different suspensions will take up different space than others)
-What size tires / brand (Different tires the same "width" (225) will have different specifications)
-What width wheels you have
-What offset your wheels are
-What modifications you have done to your fender
-What your camber settings are

Offset
Increasing offset (higher number) will result in your wheel becoming more inset and move towards your car. Decreasing your offset (lower number) will make your wheels more flush with your fender. Here are some pretty safe numbers to run:
Diam. (17 or 18)" x 7" ET: 25-55
Diam. (17 or 18)" x 8" ET: 30-50
Diam. (17 or 18)" x 9" ET: 35-45

An offset of 25mm will be a lot more desirable while 55 obtains a "sunken in" look.. which isn't nearly as appealing. I had 17x7+55 on my car while I was lowered 2" and had problems rubbing on my aftermarket struts while another member had no trouble running them because their suspension was different. an offset in the middle would be extremely safe.
The closer you get to 25mm offset, the more camber and skinnier tires you would want to run.
Camber is the angle that your wheel creates with a line perpendicular with the ground. Negative camber will make the top of your wheel sit inside your fender more and will give you more room to have more offset or have wider tires.
There are two ways that offset can affect the actual build of a wheel. Sometimes it will increase the mass on the back of the face of the wheels (like adding a spacer, which is strongly discouraged unless they're properly installed like H&R or kics) or the face of the wheel goes closer to the middle (if decreased from a positive offset) thus giving a larger lip. Not all wheels and manufacturers are the same and depends on not only width but manufacturer and particular wheel. These charts can be usually found on a manufacturer's website.
Camber
When I had LESS camber (smaller negative number) my wheels sat a lot more flush than when I had more camber (larger negative number) as to where I now want more aggressive wheels (both wider and lower offset).
Camber has a negative cogitation with camber wear. If you properly rotate your tires they should not decrease the life of your tires too badly. Toe is what you want to make sure you dont have.
Tires
Tire width is something that most people dont mess with, they let their STUPID tire shop decide and then they have stupid sized tires on their car that they probably overpaid for.
It is RECOMMENDED for each sized tire below:
7" Width: 215
8" Width: 225
9" Width: 235

Although, you may move about tire sizes depending on the particular tire. SOME 235 tires will fit on a 7" wheel but not necessarily inside of your wheel space, just like some 235 tires will not fit on your wheel.
Here's a link thats helpful in tire sizes and wheel sizes:
Wheel / tire size calculator / comparer - RIMS-N-TIRES

Another option that allows you to run lower offset wheels / wider wheels is stretching tires. Its not as safe but some like the look. Images of different stretches can be found here:
TyreStretch.com - Image Library

Lug nut information
Aftermarket lugs are made for aftermarket wheels. Not only for "wheel safety", because nobody wants your rotas, but because the seating on the inside of the bolt is correct. Stock wheels have a ball seat while aftermarket wheels have a conical seat. Dont be a DUMBASS and put aftermarket lugs on your stock wheels, otherwise when you make a thread asking why your wheel fell off, I'll point at this thread and laugh.. then say sorry. If you do have a stock spare or steelie spare in your trunk but aftermarket wheels make sure that you keep stock lugs in your trunk.

This post will be updated as information is gained.

Last edited by JeShUa; 06-03-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2009, 05:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Dave
dt07Si runs yellow lights with gleedt07Si runs yellow lights with gleedt07Si runs yellow lights with gleedt07Si runs yellow lights with gleedt07Si runs yellow lights with gleedt07Si runs yellow lights with gleedt07Si runs yellow lights with gleedt07Si runs yellow lights with gleedt07Si runs yellow lights with gleedt07Si runs yellow lights with gleedt07Si runs yellow lights with glee
This is probably the most valuable contribution you have made to 8th Jesh, I'm proud of you

I just hope this doesn't increase the number of questions we get because now there is 3+ threads for wheel/tire fitment...

dt07Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

resident /b/tard..
travis_si just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
hopefully this will put an end to all the stupid "will it fit/rub" threads. theyre starting to get annoying and ive only been on the 8th since....november. lmao
travis_si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 05:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
VIP Member

ig @ je5hua
JeShUa gets 3000 mpgJeShUa gets 3000 mpgJeShUa gets 3000 mpgJeShUa gets 3000 mpgJeShUa gets 3000 mpgJeShUa gets 3000 mpgJeShUa gets 3000 mpgJeShUa gets 3000 mpgJeShUa gets 3000 mpgJeShUa gets 3000 mpgJeShUa gets 3000 mpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt07Si View Post
This is probably the most valuable contribution you have made to 8th Jesh, I'm proud of you

I just hope this doesn't increase the number of questions we get because now there is 3+ threads for wheel/tire fitment...
. The old thread required flipping through pages and pages of our responses OVER AND OVER.
JeShUa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 05:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Andrew
tuner student likes to double clutchtuner student likes to double clutchtuner student likes to double clutch
wow alot of information to process but i think i got it all. but isn't the "wheel fitment guide" thread the place people usually ask "will this work"?

i'm sure when i'm ready to buy i might be one of the few that ask "will this whole set up work"
tuner student is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
VIP Member

ig @ je5hua
I think you mean, "What do I have to do to get this to work?"
Old 01-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
VIP Member

Ry [ the original mahfawker ]
ryryninja likez to fill up with red trolleyryryninja likez to fill up with red trolleyryryninja likez to fill up with red trolleyryryninja likez to fill up with red trolleyryryninja likez to fill up with red trolleyryryninja likez to fill up with red trolleyryryninja likez to fill up with red trolleyryryninja likez to fill up with red trolleyryryninja likez to fill up with red trolleyryryninja likez to fill up with red trolleyryryninja likez to fill up with red trolley
You should probably make this a sticky and close the thread... and then strictly make a discussion thread for fitments that ask questions. Have that thread monitored for monotonous questions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Man.. if I put something into my mouth and I think "Mmmm, RyRy bawlz".. We have problems.
ryryninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Dave
dt07Si runs yellow lights with gleedt07Si runs yellow lights with gleedt07Si runs yellow lights with gleedt07Si runs yellow lights with gleedt07Si runs yellow lights with gleedt07Si runs yellow lights with gleedt07Si runs yellow lights with gleedt07Si runs yellow lights with gleedt07Si runs yellow lights with gleedt07Si runs yellow lights with gleedt07Si runs yellow lights with glee
^^^Probably not a bad idea Ryan. Otherwise I'm afraid this is just going to turn into our other wheel fitment thread, the only good thing is that this time the OP will be around to update the thread unlike the other thread. Maybe if we could clean up the old thread and merge them somehow? Just a thought
Old 01-28-2009, 05:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

jethroooo just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
niiice!

great info.
jethroooo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 05:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
VIP Member

ig @ je5hua
No.. forget the other thread.. its too long LOL.. I just need to update the OP :x
Old 01-28-2009, 05:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
VIP Member

ryryninja likez to fill up with red trolleyryryninja likez to fill up with red trolleyryryninja likez to fill up with red trolleyryryninja likez to fill up with red trolleyryryninja likez to fill up with red trolleyryryninja likez to fill up with red trolleyryryninja likez to fill up with red trolleyryryninja likez to fill up with red trolleyryryninja likez to fill up with red trolleyryryninja likez to fill up with red trolleyryryninja likez to fill up with red trolley
Can't merge because the other thread is so old... this will just resume chronologically in the other thread still leaving a huge pile of poo.

Quote:
Man.. if I put something into my mouth and I think "Mmmm, RyRy bawlz".. We have problems.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
VIP Member

Another thing we could incorporate is suspension set ups as well.

Mainly springs since thats what most people end up going with. Since there is an agreed argument how much each aftermarket spring lowers the car.

Then from there move on to coilover setups.. etc....

This will also cut down on the number of question that would be asked since suspension plays into making it fit.

Quote:
Old 01-28-2009, 05:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Dave
Personally I would leave suspension to the other threads.

Yes it does make a difference in fitting different wheel/tire combos, but coming from someone who answers a lot of wheel questions on this forum I think it would be nice to have a dedicated wheel and tire thread. Mainly because I think people asking how low does "xxx springs" drop your car or what does a "xxx drop" look like doesn't belong in this thread, and I'm afraid that's what we would get.

Now if jesh wants to include the different drops for different springs and coilovers in his first post just as a reference then I guess it can't hurt, but I think there is enough of those threads already.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

John
mugen_kid has an enormous 8thcivic turbomugen_kid has an enormous 8thcivic turbomugen_kid has an enormous 8thcivic turbomugen_kid has an enormous 8thcivic turbomugen_kid has an enormous 8thcivic turbomugen_kid has an enormous 8thcivic turbomugen_kid has an enormous 8thcivic turbomugen_kid has an enormous 8thcivic turbomugen_kid has an enormous 8thcivic turbomugen_kid has an enormous 8thcivic turbomugen_kid has an enormous 8thcivic turbo
Great info JeShUa, now hopefully people will quit PM me about fitment People use your search its a great tool!!
mugen_kid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 05:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
VIP Member

ig @ je5hua

Suspension is too much.. I guess I could include the drop rate but still.. :x.. plus most people ask about Pro kits and such .. I want to see more setups like Mugen kid
Old 01-28-2009, 07:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
VIP Member

Makes sense

Quote:
Old 01-29-2009, 12:31 PM   #17 (permalink)

Derek
OMGWTFBBQIMDEREK sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicOMGWTFBBQIMDEREK sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicOMGWTFBBQIMDEREK sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicOMGWTFBBQIMDEREK sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicOMGWTFBBQIMDEREK sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicOMGWTFBBQIMDEREK sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicOMGWTFBBQIMDEREK sometimes day dreams about 8thcivic
I didn't bother to read the OP, it's way TOO WORDY.

So, with that being said, will 17x7 +45 fit? I'm lowered on stock suspension. 0 toe all around. -0.5 rear.

I'm serious. Will it?
OMGWTFBBQIMDEREK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2009, 12:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
VIP Member

it will only fit if you have massive toe..

camel

Quote:
Old 01-29-2009, 12:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

Derek
OMGWTFBBQIMDEREK sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicOMGWTFBBQIMDEREK sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicOMGWTFBBQIMDEREK sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicOMGWTFBBQIMDEREK sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicOMGWTFBBQIMDEREK sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicOMGWTFBBQIMDEREK sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicOMGWTFBBQIMDEREK sometimes day dreams about 8thcivic
Oh. So like 27/32 toe? So my car looks like a duck and my wheels are tilted outward?
OMGWTFBBQIMDEREK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2009, 12:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
VIP Member

wider track moar grip

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.