Own a Gun? (merged threads) - Page 153 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Off Topic > Water Cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 11:19 PM   #3041 (permalink)

dualdiagnosis sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicdualdiagnosis sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicdualdiagnosis sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicdualdiagnosis sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicdualdiagnosis sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicdualdiagnosis sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicdualdiagnosis sometimes day dreams about 8thcivicdualdiagnosis sometimes day dreams about 8thcivic
Any of you have any experience with tactical shotguns? I'm thinking about getting this Mossberg 500:

dualdiagnosis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 02:51 AM   #3042 (permalink)

Haywood Jablomi
FALer just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualdiagnosis View Post
Any of you have any experience with tactical shotguns? I'm thinking about getting this Mossberg 500:

Rem 870 Police and skip 95% of the tacticool BS. What happens if you need to use the stock to buttstroke and all you have is a collapsible one? Shotguns are for close-in and you just might need it as a club. Mossberg is, IMO, an also-ran in the field b/c they just aren't as heavy-duty.
FALer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #3043 (permalink)

Trevor Wray
RGV-SI- just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Agreed
RGV-SI- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #3044 (permalink)

Faust245 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankus View Post
Hey guys,

joining in on this thread. I have a DPMS flat-top AR15 and GSG-5 (mp5 clone in .22LR) sold my S&W sigma .40. In the market for a pump or semi shotgun soon! Just moved so I have to get my state drivers license and whatnot.

Would like to get a decent red dot with magnifier for the AR without breaking the bank.
If you are really trying to save some cash the Vortex Strikefire gets good reviews and you can also get their magnifier as well.

Or just look around for a used eotech as well but they still go for $300+ used
Faust245 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #3045 (permalink)

Trevor Wray
RGV-SI- just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Or he can always get a nice 1-4x scope.
RGV-SI- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #3046 (permalink)

Spurholder just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualdiagnosis View Post

What FALer said. It's the 870 Police, and don't fall for a dressed-out Express.

Using this for home defense? Put a light on it.

Good news. Magpul now makes an MOE 870 forend, which makes mounting a light one heck of a lot easier. LED is the shizzle.

SHOTGUN ACCESSORIES - MOE Forend – Remington 870 Shotgun
Spurholder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #3047 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankus View Post
Hey guys,

joining in on this thread. I have a DPMS flat-top AR15 and GSG-5 (mp5 clone in .22LR) sold my S&W sigma .40. In the market for a pump or semi shotgun soon! Just moved so I have to get my state drivers license and whatnot.

Would like to get a decent red dot with magnifier for the AR without breaking the bank.
What's your budget? $300-500? Or less?
Old 02-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #3048 (permalink)

Haywood Jablomi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurholder View Post
What FALer said. It's the 870 Police, and don't fall for a dressed-out Express.

Using this for home defense? Put a light on it.

Good news. Magpul now makes an MOE 870 forend, which makes mounting a light one heck of a lot easier. LED is the shizzle.

SHOTGUN ACCESSORIES - MOE Forend – Remington 870 Shotgun
If all you can afford is the Express 870, it isn't the worst, being fundamentally similar to the Police model where it counts, being all steel construction. The aluminum trigger assembly of the Police, other than having heavy duty carrier follower springs, is more likely to deform if you drop the gun and the plastic trigger group is better if you swap in the new carrier spring. The express does have a crappy finish and the less durable MIM extractor and ejectors, along with a weaker mag spring and, often, dimples in the mag tube that need dremeling to allow a mag extension. Most of these won't break with minimal use, but if you want peace of mind and/or use the gun hard, you need upgraded parts, but many of these can be done yourself.

Last edited by FALer; 02-22-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:46 PM   #3049 (permalink)

[hwy]Hagen just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
just bought a ruger 10/22 now time to do some more plinking
[hwy]Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #3050 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALer View Post
If all you can afford is the Express 870, it isn't the worst, being fundamentally similar to the Police model where it counts, being all steel construction. The aluminum trigger assembly of the Police, other than having heavy duty carrier follower springs, is more likely to deform if you drop the gun and the plastic trigger group is better if you swap in the new carrier spring. The express does have a crappy finish and the less durable MIM extractor and ejectors, along with a weaker mag spring and, often, dimples in the mag tube that need dremeling to allow a mag extension. Most of these won't break with minimal use, but if you want piece of mind and/or use the gun hard, you need upgraded parts, but many of these can be done yourself.
I'm more of a "buy once, cry once" kind of guy. Speaking strictly for myself here - I'm not going to buy a weapon that I can't abuse the heck out of.

Just Google-shopped both of them, however:

870 Police: $600

Remington 870 Police Shotgun .12 GA Mag 18in 6rd Black Bead Sight for sale - 24407 - Tombstone Tactical

870 Express Tactical: $370

Remington Model 870 Express Tactical Shotgun 5077 12 GA Pump For Sale

Is a $200 difference really worth going with the lesser product? If you've got the extra coin, it's easy.

If you don't, it's clearly decision time. And that's even when you know the weaknesses that you patiently pointed out, FALer.

Take your comments out of the equation. That's precisely why companies like Mossberg stay in business. It's the whole "well, it looks the part so it must be the same or close enough to it" argument.

Reminds me a lot of the AR business.

Last edited by Spurholder; 02-21-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #3051 (permalink)

Brian
8thgenInAL just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Send a message via AIM to 8thgenInAL
I just picked up a S&W 642. I was wondering what I could pick up in terms of a good recommended pocket holster that would fit the small J-frame.
8thgenInAL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #3052 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thgenInAL View Post
I just picked up a S&W 642. I was wondering what I could pick up in terms of a good recommended pocket holster that would fit the small J-frame.
Want the best J-frame holster available? Contact Ken Null - he's in Georgia, just north of Atlanta:

K.L. Null Holsters Home Page

He's not cheap, but he's outfitted everyone from the FBI to the USSS to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police's special protection unit. If an agency used a J-framed gun, chances are he made the rig.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #3053 (permalink)

Brian
8thgenInAL just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Send a message via AIM to 8thgenInAL
What about RKBA? I don't mind paying for a $80 holster, it just seems to be so similar to the RKBA holsters that I'd rather pay half the price
8thgenInAL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 12:53 AM   #3054 (permalink)

Haywood Jablomi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurholder View Post
I'm more of a "buy once, cry once" kind of guy. Speaking strictly for myself here - I'm not going to buy a weapon that I can't abuse the heck out of.

Just Google-shopped both of them, however:

870 Police: $600

Remington 870 Police Shotgun .12 GA Mag 18in 6rd Black Bead Sight for sale - 24407 - Tombstone Tactical

870 Express Tactical: $370

Remington Model 870 Express Tactical Shotgun 5077 12 GA Pump For Sale

Is a $200 difference really worth going with the lesser product? If you've got the extra coin, it's easy.

If you don't, it's clearly decision time. And that's even when you know the weaknesses that you patiently pointed out, FALer.

Take your comments out of the equation. That's precisely why companies like Mossberg stay in business. It's the whole "well, it looks the part so it must be the same or close enough to it" argument.

Reminds me a lot of the AR business.
Except Mossberg can never really hold a candle to the 870, whereas a lower trim 870 is like a K-series block from a CRV or Accord waiting for someone to build it into a decent motor. Mossberg is more like buying a Toyota 2.4-liter 2AZ-FE motor and trying to build it into something.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:03 AM   #3055 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALer View Post
Except Mossberg can never really hold a candle to the 870, whereas a lower trim 870 is like a K-series block from a CRV or Accord waiting for someone to build it into a decent motor. Mossberg is more like buying a Toyota 2.4-liter 2AZ-FE motor and trying to build it into something.
That was my not-so-well-said point. And you're being generous on the Toyota block, by the way.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #3056 (permalink)

Looks like Colt LE 6920's are now being sold at...

Wal-Mart.

For less than $1100.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #3057 (permalink)

Chris
RageOn just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Gun-rights Groups Decry Proposed Surtax On Illinois Ammo Sales | Fox News

interesting BS
RageOn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #3058 (permalink)

Scott
'06Siguy sometimes day dreams about 8thcivic'06Siguy sometimes day dreams about 8thcivic'06Siguy sometimes day dreams about 8thcivic'06Siguy sometimes day dreams about 8thcivic'06Siguy sometimes day dreams about 8thcivic'06Siguy sometimes day dreams about 8thcivic'06Siguy sometimes day dreams about 8thcivic
Garage
The NRA will be all over that...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'06Siguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #3059 (permalink)

Chris
RageOn just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Quote:
Originally Posted by '06Siguy View Post
The NRA will be all over that...
they already are
RageOn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #3060 (permalink)
Quail Man!

Nick
GETxERxDONE has carbon fibre cupholdersGETxERxDONE has carbon fibre cupholdersGETxERxDONE has carbon fibre cupholdersGETxERxDONE has carbon fibre cupholdersGETxERxDONE has carbon fibre cupholdersGETxERxDONE has carbon fibre cupholdersGETxERxDONE has carbon fibre cupholdersGETxERxDONE has carbon fibre cupholdersGETxERxDONE has carbon fibre cupholdersGETxERxDONE has carbon fibre cupholdersGETxERxDONE has carbon fibre cupholders
Send a message via AIM to GETxERxDONE
so my friends dad took his Smith & Wesson model 19 snub nose (nickel finish or whatever it is, its shiny) to the gun store to get a holster for it (had it for about 25 years and only shot it just recently) and the owner of the store wanted it really bad. said hed trade any gun in the store for it.

what i wanted to know is how rare is this gun, and how much is it worth? i tried to google it but all i could come up with is that its rare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

|
|
GETxERxDONE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.