GReddy turbo chat and discussion - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Forced Induction And Nitrous > Turbocharging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Never Again!
GReddy turbo chat and discussion

Please post your GReddy turbo discussion here. Issues, problems, technical questions etc.

Some cause happiness wherever they go: others whenever they go. -Oscar Wilde
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ricky-Bobby
Quote:
In for 1st post.

My biggest question is how come some people claim then hold consistent boost with this kit?

No matter what I've tried I lose up to 2 psi in high rpm's.
Well this fix to this is the Hondata boost control solenoid and use the boost by gear in flashpro.

Last edited by maiku; 09-21-2010 at 04:07 AM.
maiku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Oriol
I don't think, well I know that with the Greddy you CAN'T hold the same amount of PSI throughout the whole powerband, no matter what boost controller you have. With an EBC, you can reduce the amount of PSI you lose, but you can't maintain the same PSI. The only way to solve that is by using a better manifold (Full-Race) and/or an external wastegate.
BlueSi4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2009, 08:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSi4 View Post
I don't think, well I know that with the Greddy you CAN'T hold the same amount of PSI throughout the whole powerband, no matter what boost controller you have. With an EBC, you can reduce the amount of PSI you lose, but you can't maintain the same PSI. The only way to solve that is by using a better manifold (Full-Race) and/or an external wastegate.
thats exactly what i think
hondahead814 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Paul Nicholson
what do you guys clean your greddy air filter with?
$custom07civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

GReddy Dantegra
swap it out with a Fujita 3inch. The turbo sounds healthier.
GReddy Dantegra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Denzel
where can i find said 3 inch filter?
civicgotspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 10:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Paul Nicholson
For real where can you get a 3 in" intake?
$custom07civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 10:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
VIP Member

Mike
Quote:
Incorrect! I actually am getting boost creep now with the Apexi AVCR. lol..I actually had to set up the duty cycle based on rpm to hold boost steady to redline. I have it now where it holds 10psi right to redline. No lie. When I first installed the Apexi, I set the duty to an even 50% and it held 10psi to vtec then it spiked to 15psi all the way to redline. So the correct boost controller WILL allow the GReddy kit to hold steady boost. The other issue with the GReddy turbo is the actuator is weak. That is why it drops boost pressure. The high flow of this motor actually will push the gate open at the higher RPMs. But if you can lower duty based on RPM, like with the Apexi or Kpro, it will actually close the gate far enough to allow the turbine to keep the turbo boosting. At least that is what I found.
soxfan143 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 11:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Ricky-Bobby
Anyone know when Hondata plans to release their boost controller for the Flashpro?
maiku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 11:41 AM   #11 (permalink)

Oriol
Yeah I was told about that AVC-R boost controller a while ago, but my tuner at the time told me that it was too complicated to set up and that it wasn't worth it. The Greddy turbo won't stay in the car for much longer, and hopefully with a bigger turbo like the GT2871 or something like that, the boost creep won't be as bad as it is with the Greddy.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
VIP Member

Mike
Quote:
Yeah I was told about that AVC-R boost controller a while ago, but my tuner at the time told me that it was too complicated to set up and that it wasn't worth it. The Greddy turbo won't stay in the car for much longer, and hopefully with a bigger turbo like the GT2871 or something like that, the boost creep won't be as bad as it is with the Greddy.
You mean boost drop. And the turbo size doesn't matter. I was still getting horrid boost drop with the GT2871 until I installed the Apexi. It's the wastegate spring. It's to weak to hold the gate closed at high RPM. But the apexi will actually close the gate almost all the way because of the closed loop feedback and the adjustable feedback speed control. It really is an awesome piece of equipment. It is a little tricky at first but you figure it out.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Oriol
Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan143 View Post
You mean boost drop. And the turbo size doesn't matter. I was still getting horrid boost drop with the GT2871 until I installed the Apexi. It's the wastegate spring. It's to weak to hold the gate closed at high RPM. But the apexi will actually close the gate almost all the way because of the closed loop feedback and the adjustable feedback speed control. It really is an awesome piece of equipment. It is a little tricky at first but you figure it out.
Yeah boost drop, I got mixed up. I think the Gizzmo will work pretty well, my guy highly recommends it.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
VIP Member

Mike
Quote:
Yeah boost drop, I got mixed up. I think the Gizzmo will work pretty well, my guy highly recommends it.
That was my next option. I was so close to buying the Gizzmo but I went Apexi. I will probably just stick with this controller since it works mint. Even when Hondata comes with boost control. Only because every time you want to change your boost setting you'll have to reflash it. And if you don't get the setting right you'll have to keep reflashing and driving until you find the right setting. It's gonna be a pain in the ass. lol.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

Oriol
Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan143 View Post
That was my next option. I was so close to buying the Gizzmo but I went Apexi. I will probably just stick with this controller since it works mint. Even when Hondata comes with boost control. Only because every time you want to change your boost setting you'll have to reflash it. And if you don't get the setting right you'll have to keep reflashing and driving until you find the right setting. It's gonna be a pain in the ass. lol.
The Gizzmo is fairly similar to the Apexi, correct? I know the Apexi has a lot more features like boost by gear and things like that if I'm not mistaken, but as far as duty cycle and keeping the gate closed, they are fairly similar?
Old 12-07-2009, 06:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
VIP Member

Mike
I guess I was wrong about my last statement about tuning boost when Hondata releases it. They just implemented LIVE TUNING!!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #17 (permalink)

Oriol
Say what??
Old 12-07-2009, 09:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

Chris
nvm off topic.

Last edited by hondahead814; 12-07-2009 at 09:54 PM.
hondahead814 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 09:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

Oriol
Yeah that's very off-topic, not really the need to discuss it here since it has been talked about for a while now
Old 12-19-2009, 11:54 PM   #20 (permalink)

13.03@114 SC'd w/ Street Tires
Lookin to go boost summer 2010 and I have been doing alot of homework on turbo's. I like the greddy kit because I have heard they are reliable, but to spend $3k+ on a kit and only get about 250-260whp is kinda low hp for $$$. I was wondering what all would need to be done to this kit to get it over 300whp. I already have 70mm exhaust and flash pro which I know will help a little. My target whp is about 320. Should I go with the greddy kit and just upgrade it, or should I just go another route like SRT?
Thanks.
08Sivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.